IGNORED

XL Memory upgrade

MrMartian

Finally! I've gotten all the bugs out of this thing.

What I've made is a one-chip expansion memory controller for XL computers (and XEGS once I figure out how to wire it in!) that provides a connection to a 1M SIMM. You get two modes, one is XE compatible separate ANTIC/CPU banking control of 512K, and the other is the full 1M, but CPU and ANTIC see the same memory. As soon as I write up the instruction on how to wire it in, I'll post it for all to enjoy. It uses an Atmel ATF750C CPLD, and you can download the JED file if you can program one yourself (or have a friend who can), or I will be selling programmed chips as well..

I've tested it with ramdisks in MyDOS and SpartaDOS, and the VidBlitz demo (shown) and Fandal's .XEX conversion of some of the XE games. If you'd like me to test any other software, let me know what it is!

Here are some pictures!

post-14188-1189647703_thumb.jpg

post-14188-1189647714_thumb.jpg

post-14188-1189647728_thumb.jpg

post-14188-1189647741_thumb.jpg

post-14188-1189647754_thumb.jpg

post-14188-1189647769_thumb.jpg

It uses an Atmel ATF750C CPLD, and you can download the JED file if you can program one yourself (or have a friend who can), or I will be selling programmed chips as well..

Out of curiosity, did you use WinCUPL to compile your design? I've never used the ATF750C familiy with the embedded flip-flops-- I always instinctively stuck to the ATF16V8/ATF20V8 families for smaller combinatorial designs. I always thought the Atmel design software was clunky and kind of Windows 3.1 looking. Not to mention I could never quite figure out to how get the simulations to run right and sometimes I'd get funny compile errors.

It uses an Atmel ATF750C CPLD, and you can download the JED file if you can program one yourself (or have a friend who can), or I will be selling programmed chips as well..

What do you use to program a ATF750C series?? Is it a special writer or can it be done with a eprom burner?? New to this one.

Out of curiosity, did you use WinCUPL to compile your design? I've never used the ATF750C familiy with the embedded flip-flops-- I always instinctively stuck to the ATF16V8/ATF20V8 families for smaller combinatorial designs. I always thought the Atmel design software was clunky and kind of Windows 3.1 looking. Not to mention I could never quite figure out to how get the simulations to run right and sometimes I'd get funny compile errors.

Yeah, I did use WinCUPL. And, yeah, it's a little painful to use. It's been 10+ years since I last developed a PLD design, and at first I tried to use the copy of Abel 3.0 I had from back then... DOS in all it's glory (?!?!).. I tried it in a 22V10, but I needed the internal registers, otherwise I was short one pin! So, off to a CPLD, and what I had didn't work. WinCUPL is free, so I gave it a whirl. Seems to work okay, but many many many many bugs.. Ah well.

What do you use to program a ATF750C series?? Is it a special writer or can it be done with a eprom burner?? New to this one.

You can't use a programmer than only support EPROMS. Most universal programmers will support PLDs as well, just make sure you see ATF750C. My old one didn't, so part of getting this going was buying a new programmer!

• 3 weeks later...
Finally! I've gotten all the bugs out of this thing.

What I've made is a one-chip expansion memory controller for XL computers (and XEGS once I figure out how to wire it in!) that provides a connection to a 1M SIMM. You get two modes, one is XE compatible separate ANTIC/CPU banking control of 512K, and the other is the full 1M, but CPU and ANTIC see the same memory. As soon as I write up the instruction on how to wire it in, I'll post it for all to enjoy. It uses an Atmel ATF750C CPLD, and you can download the JED file if you can program one yourself (or have a friend who can), or I will be selling programmed chips as well..

I've tested it with ramdisks in MyDOS and SpartaDOS, and the VidBlitz demo (shown) and Fandal's .XEX conversion of some of the XE games. If you'd like me to test any other software, let me know what it is!

Here are some pictures!

If anyone wants to try this upgrade, or any other, I have a whole large box full of SIMMs, like 50 lbs, from my computer hardware days.

If you need some, I could ship them to you.

• 2 months later...
Nice job-

Could you post a larger picture of the open 1200XL so as to better see the wiring details?

-Larry

Here's the full resolution image:

http://www.isle.ca/atari/DSC01601.JPG

Ok MrMartian, Um what's up with the link Doc? I get a 404 error when I click on It.

I'm looking at getting a 600XL and providing It with 64k and an S-video output soon, among other long term goals in addition to XE ram compatibility maybe, the SIO2SD(I like flash drives), a 5.25" fdd(Indus GT or 1050 w/doubler?) and eventually the Ape Warp 32-1 OS too.