IGNORED

If you were a games coder, which atari computer/vdeogame would you remake

carmel_andrews

Mine would be one of the following

Defender/Dropzone

Thunderfox (so it looks more like Uridium, then a clone)

Star Raiders (who wouldn't)

Eastern Front (Just to try and out do the claims of the original)

Zybex (and make it a bit more 'r-type ish')

Humanoid (make it a bit more like I/O or Armalyte)

Encounter (with better gfx)

BBSB (Instead of making it a single sheet/board platformer, make it into a SMB type scrolling game world type platformer (if you've ever seen the GBC version of Bubble bobble you'll know my meaning) but with the essence of the m2049er/BBSB type gameplay

Anymore for anymore

Star Raiders was well done considering it's only 8K and also (fairly sure here) only uses 8K RAM due to being a very early release.

It could be improved on considerably by using higher resolution and making it a bit more complex. But of course, the gameplay of Star Raiders is really what keeps people coming back to it.

Asteroids comes to mind - I've yet to see a home version remotely faithful to the original, and it's not because of so-called lack of vector modes.

Encounter, I think is fine as is. Something like powerups might be good though.

Galaxian - the graphics are OK, but the sound effects are probably the worst of any game produced by Atari.

As a part-time-game-coder, I would really like to (re-)make on the A8

* a sequel to Seven Cities of Gold

* Railroad Tycoon

* Civilization

* Mule II

* a networked MMRPG, only for 8bit Computers (Atari Elves against Commodore Orks with Amstrad Warriors or such...)

you never know when I find time.....

Carsten

Which Computer/video game would I remake?

Computer

I would remake the Atari ST with decent custom chips and a preemptive multitasking OS.

I would also make a networking system that uses that hardisk/expansion port on the back.. Never understood why some aftermarket company didn't do that.. People have done it with SCSI on many different platforms.. .

oh And Id paint it Porche red.. It's a sin to paint that awesome wind-tunnel tested masterpiece of aerodynamic casework BEIGE!!

Video Game

Hmm let's see.. Where should I begin..

STAR RAIDERS

Well, Id like to take Star Raiders, increase the "galaxy" to at least 100x100 "sectors" (on the galactic chart).

Also, there would be a "network" mode where the game would run as a client on up to 8 machines which would be hooked via Bob Puff's MULTIPLEXER system to a "Master" atari running a dedicated star raiders game-server program.

The game would have the options of Single Player, Network-Teams, or Network-conquest.. In conquest mode, all players would be against eachother. In teams mode, you'd have a good team vs and evil team (federation versus Xylon or whatever..)

This would require Bob Puff to release the source code to his "mux master" program, and someone to get ahold of the source code for Star Raiders.. Otherwise everything would have to be rewritten/reverse engineered from scratch...

ALTERNATE REALITY DISKS

I would like to see ALL of the originally planned game content disks completed for this game.

I don't think the game interface lacks much (that could actually be done well on the 8-bit) so I wouldn't change it at all.

It would be cool to make AR a multiplayer networked game as well, but I believe that would be a huge undertaking to get all the features of the game to work right, as it is quite an extensive "simulation"..

One thing in favor of doing this is that since there is no "realtime 2d/3d action" except actual movement within the levels (which is done in a very unitized fashion eg. one "square" per input,) This game could probably be set up to work over the internet using APE's telnet console. Just write the "game server" to run on a linux box that allows simultaneous internet login telnet sessions. Connection speed/latency would not be nearly as much of an issue as with a realtime action type game.

INTEGRATE KORONIS RIFT and STAR RAIDERS II into one game.

First, fix Star Raiders II and make the space battles REAL 3d movement, like star raiders one.

Add short and long range scan, like star raiders 1.

Second, get rid of all the useless "fake stuff" on the control panel and replace it with actual useful and meaningful stats, etc.

Then, rip the game interface out of koronis rift and add it to Star Radiers II so that you can fly down to the planet and cruise around on the surface to accomplish whatever objective..

POLE POSITION

Make a better/more detailed graphical representation of the car, similar to the 7800 version. (the 8-bit/5200 version looks like its made out of "Graphics characters" in a vic-20 sized font..)

RACING DESTRUCTION SET

Possibly make this game networkable as well..

ok.. Thats all I can thik of right now...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Maybe remaking Ninja, it could either be in 3D or stay as 2D, but the graphics and fighting could be more like a Powerstone or Steetfighter Capcom game.

There could be more weapons, and the building could have more rooms to get through before the final showdown.

Edited by Ross PK

Which Computer/video game would I remake?

Computer

I would remake the Atari ST with decent custom chips and a preemptive multitasking OS.

By throwing an Amiga 1200 into a 1040ST case for example :cool:

Naah. The AGA chipset sucked total ass.. All the grahics modes that give it more colors over ECS/OCS slow the machine down so much, it's pathetic.

The original AMIGA chipset was bad-ass for it's time, but A1200 and A4000 were piss-poor compromises to get something to the market QUICK to try to save commodore's ass.. The technology they actually had in development was way the hell better at the time. Some people estimate that if given as little as another 6 months, C= engineering would have been ready to release a True AAA chipset machine.. AGA was a half-assed, compromised, bastardized version of a very early conceptual test of what AAA would bave been. It was never meant for production.. But was "fixed up" at the last minute and added to the "a1000+", and renamed the A4000.. (The A1000+ was going to be the LOW END economy model of the new line of machines, once AAA had reached full development.) half a year later, the 1200 was released as an even more "chopped down" version of that.

If I was to redesign the ST into what it "could have been".. I'd use full 32=bit architecture throughout, and some UNIX derivative OS.. And if I was going to try to out-do the original AMIGA chipset, I'd possibly buy the graphics chips from SGI or SUN... Or someone who knew what the hell they were doing with high end custom graphics hardware at the time..

Isn't Star Raider II the same as The Last Starfighter?

Like MetalGuy, I would like to see the completion of the Alernate Reality

series.

Auto Dual :: I would enhance the graphics world to look more like Last V8.

I don't think this would be too hard, as the enterface is similar

enough already.

Pole Position :: To look more like Elecktraglide.

Strip Poker :: Add more babes / female opponents.

Forbidden Forest :: Delete it from existence....

Midway Battles :: Option to allow for the complete destruction of enemy

Navy, not just a point system.

Gauntlet - by Donald L. Lebeu? :: Allow Tridex to be like seeker missiles.

More screens and weapons.

Silent Service :: Add the option to allow it to load into RAMDISK, thus greatly

reducing in-game load times.

That's all I can think of right now....

Forbidden Forest :: Delete it from existence....

It isn't that bad of a game, as long as you mute the volume... lol... I actually bought this one back in-the-day...

No where near as good graphically as the c64 version...

Edited by dwhyte

I'll second that.

Adventure II looks really cool. Not the point.

Look at Pitfall II for the A8. The extra levels and such were a lot of fun, expanded the game, but didn't change the feel.

Adventure, done in the same style, but with fewer limitations on number of objects on screen, etc... would be just excellent. Smooth scrolling between rooms too.

The thing could be huge, with tricks and traps all over the place.

I'd make a massive RPG utilizing the Atarimax MyIDE interface with 1mb of flash, so that each "world" loads onto the cartridge from the hard drive for faster play. Another benefit is that the game could be updated or added to easily. An option to upload your statistics and accomplishments to a telnet server to foster online competition (without building a client/server interface).

If I were a games coder I would (re) make for the atari 8bit:

bubble bobble

prince of persia

double dragon

port of a few 2600 games, such as midnight magic, private eye and barnstorming

and other nice games, which would be possible to make (I guess):

secret of monkey Island I and II

Remake:

a fresh Asteroids would be great (like the 7800 version)

And what about

The Addams family (I love the ST version)

But unfortunately I'm more a tool-coder

Marius