IGNORED

Amdek Drives?

doctor_x

So first just a little bit of psychology...

normally when I'm happy and things are going well and I visit here or anywhere else atari related, I get all sad and blue because I miss that era so much and know that nothing in the future will come close to being that cool.

but I've had some things happen in the past few weeks that have made me pretty low - and being here tonight has made me feel a little better... I guess maybe I've sort of allowed those memories no matter how re-creatable they are, lift me a little......

anyway.. ahem...

so on the back page of alot of antic/analog magazines, and elsewhere - you would see this ad with an 800xl, an AMDEK color monitor, and this smooth little dual drive 3.5 looking disk drive.... I actually owned the Tandy version of this drive for one day before someone emailed me and offered me double what I paid for it and I sold it.....

I did a search here first, and it appears the only Amdek related topics dealt with the monitors..... Since hard disk space for people running BBS's and stuff was such a premium, I would have figured these things would have taken off. Maybe they were high priced - maybe the "pseudo" 3.5 media was not reliable... Or maybe it was only found on the back page of magazines and never released.

Since this is a topic not yet touched here I wondered if anyone might enjoy sharing some banter in reference to this piece of hardware, and maybe help lift my spirits even higher....

Hope all of you are well this evening..

Doc

So first just a little bit of psychology...

normally when I'm happy and things are going well and I visit here or anywhere else atari related, I get all sad and blue because I miss that era so much and know that nothing in the future will come close to being that cool.

but I've had some things happen in the past few weeks that have made me pretty low - and being here tonight has made me feel a little better... I guess maybe I've sort of allowed those memories no matter how re-creatable they are, lift me a little......

anyway.. ahem...

so on the back page of alot of antic/analog magazines, and elsewhere - you would see this ad with an 800xl, an AMDEK color monitor, and this smooth little dual drive 3.5 looking disk drive.... I actually owned the Tandy version of this drive for one day before someone emailed me and offered me double what I paid for it and I sold it.....

I did a search here first, and it appears the only Amdek related topics dealt with the monitors..... Since hard disk space for people running BBS's and stuff was such a premium, I would have figured these things would have taken off. Maybe they were high priced - maybe the "pseudo" 3.5 media was not reliable... Or maybe it was only found on the back page of magazines and never released.

Since this is a topic not yet touched here I wondered if anyone might enjoy sharing some banter in reference to this piece of hardware, and maybe help lift my spirits even higher....

Hope all of you are well this evening..

Doc

That would be the Amdek 3" (not 3 1/2") disk drive pictured

amdekih7.jpg

This drive pre-dates the Sony 3 1/2 inch floppy, the 3" disks were double sided,

but not the way you would think, you used one side, then flipped it over and used the other side

They were referred to as 3" flippys

I actually owned one of these but I can't recall if it attached to my Atari directly or to my ATR8000

Here is an actual picture of the disk (flippy)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...pact_Floppy.jpg

It had an A and B side and when you inserted it the metal cover rotated away from the hole.

Edited by joeventura

I picked up one of these several years ago, but it had previously been converted to dual SS 3.5" drives.

The controller board in these is actually quite nice. It can control up to 4 floppy drives in just about any combination of single or double density, single or double sided and 40 or 80 track. It also supports enhanced density.

There is a switch that will swap the ID's of the first 2 drives with the second 2. This was so you could connect one or two 5.25 drives externally and then be able to easily boot from either the 3" drive or a normal 5.25" drive.

The drives are addressed sequentially and can start at any address from D1-D4 so standard Atari drives can be used in combination with the Amdek drives. The contoller also contains a printer port.

Edited by JR>

does it require any special OS, or does it work with DOS 2.0/2.5?

Also... is there anywhere in which you can find the media any longer?

What did you pay for yours (just curious)?

Despite the oddball media, it still used standard disk formats so it would work with any dos that supported the particular format. The 3" media were Single Sided Double density 80 track just like 3.5's. The manual states that it included a copy of DOSXL on one 3" disk and a second 3" disk with some utilities for configuring the drive, but I didn't get these and have never seen the utilities archived anywhere.

I have never seen one of the original 3" disks, since mine had already been converted to 3.5 and did not come with any. I have since seen a couple of the drives for sale that included a few of the disks, but that is the only place I have ever seen them available.

It looks like I payed $25 shipped back in 2000.

Edited by JR>

I picked up one of these several years ago, but it had previously been converted to dual SS 3.5" drives.

The controller board in these is actually quite nice. It can control up to 4 floppy drives in just about any combination of single or double density, single or double sided and 40 or 80 track. It also supports enhanced density.

There is a switch that will swap the ID's of the first 2 drives with the second 2. This was so you could connect one or two 5.25 drives externally and then be able to easily boot from either the 3" drive or a normal 5.25" drive.

The drives are addressed sequentially and can start at any address from D1-D4 so standard Atari drives can be used in combination with the Amdek drives. The contoller also contains a printer port.

It would be interesting to see the internals of this drive... Any chance of posting a couple of hires photo's?

re-atari