IGNORED

ColecoVision: Mist Maid 4k

hardhat

Hi,

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the ColecoVision game system, here is my entry for the Minigame Competition 4k division.

You are the captain of the proud Maid of the Mist, taking tourists toview Niagra Falls. Sounds easy? Well, to keep from being fired you need to keep your ship in ship shape, by avoiding rocks and logs in your way. Hit one, and your ship will slow, and you will risk falling behind. Hit too many and you'll sink. Watch for the dreaded whirlpools which are sure to sink you.

Here is a vid of the game play:

and the screenshot:

mistma4k.png

Download and try it yourself: mistma4k.zip which includes source.

Voting doesn't open until next week, but there are lots of fun games that you can download already from that site.

Hi,

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the ColecoVision game system, here is my entry for the Minigame Competition 4k division.

You are the captain of the proud Maid of the Mist, taking tourists toview Niagra Falls. Sounds easy? Well, to keep from being fired you need to keep your ship in ship shape, by avoiding rocks and logs in your way. Hit one, and your ship will slow, and you will risk falling behind. Hit too many and you'll sink. Watch for the dreaded whirlpools which are sure to sink you.

Here is a vid of the game play:

and the screenshot:

mistma4k.png

Download and try it yourself: mistma4k.zip which includes source.

Voting doesn't open until next week, but there are lots of fun games that you can download already from that site.

Looks great! Welcome to AA! This game is like Grand Prix for the 2600 (pattern style) meets Turbo (Perspective)! Nice job for 4k! High score here is just over 8,000 so far. :)

Edited by Murph74

Looks great! Welcome to AA! This game is like Grand Prix for the 2600 (pattern style) meets Turbo (Perspective)! Nice job for 4k! High score here is just over 8,000 so far. :)

I'm glad you liked it. I've wanted to make a Turbo type game for a long time, and also Antartic Adventure is a fav of mine. I don't often get over 8000 myself, but when I did I would make it harder :ponder:

I basically rewrote it 3 times to get it to the right size for the compo. The first time there were to be two other modes of game play, done in C. The second time, I started in C with size in mind, and started to know what was truely important. The final time, I started in assembler since growing a project is easier than squeezing it for me, and I came up with some good ideas for higher compression ratio for the screen graphics, so that helps too.

I still have a long list of other things that I'd like to add, so I may make a full game of it later. You never know.

Edited by hardhat

Very cool hardhat! Thank you!

And welcome to Atari Age.

Thanks. I tried playing for a high score, and found that it ran out of free timers when I hit 15535 after an hour of play. So I fixed that bug, and the disappearing score that sometimes happens on game over. The update (labeled 1.1) is in the same place as linked to in the first post.

Hmmm..... Unable to play it in either Mekaw or Freeze SMS.

Mekaw just shows a blank screen, and Freeze SMS says "system unsupported" and crashes.

I haven't tried either of those before. I usualy use Virtual Coleco (which is flakey I guess), BlueMSX and AdamEm, and on the PSP I use pspcolem, which requires that I bring the rom size up to 4k or greater for some reason. Maybe I'll look for those other two, but I thought that Murphy74 uses Meka.

I just tried it with Mekaw072 and it works perfectly. What version were you using.

It seems like Freeze SMS thinks that none of my ROMs for any of my 10 or so games that I've written are ColecoVision games. I wonder why. Maybe it doesn't recognize the 55AA header instead of the AA55 header. Both are valid, but one was used by most commercial games, and the other usually used by people who don't want the default ColecoVision title screen.

I just tried it with Mekaw072 and it works perfectly. What version were you using.

It seems like Freeze SMS thinks that none of my ROMs for any of my 10 or so games that I've written are ColecoVision games. I wonder why. Maybe it doesn't recognize the 55AA header instead of the AA55 header. Both are valid, but one was used by most commercial games, and the other usually used by people who don't want the default ColecoVision title screen.

No, Freeze SMS just don't seem to like ColecoVision games it doesn't already know about.

No, Freeze SMS just don't seem to like ColecoVision games it doesn't already know about.

Well, years ago, I tried Freeze SMS. I tried to fill up some rom to make them 16K or 32K to make them finaly works with Freeze SMS. So, if it's still same version I tried years ago, it's a size rom file problem.

Well, years ago, I tried Freeze SMS. I tried to fill up some rom to make them 16K or 32K to make them finaly works with Freeze SMS. So, if it's still same version I tried years ago, it's a size rom file problem.

Worked fine on Meka .71, both versions here. I liked the old one better, my pattern didn't work on the 1.2 version. :) lol

• 2 weeks later...