IGNORED

Quake 3 Adventure!

Gregory DG

Continuing the discussion about making Adventure into a Quake 3 map are some screenshots of the gold castle.

http://www.ataritimes.com/article.php?showarticle=268

Also, if you have Quark (the editing tool) you can download the map.

I can't figure out how to get the stupid thing to compile as a .bsp... I think my configuration is whacked. Ah well...

What do you think? :)

Edited by Gregory DG

That's cool and all, but its so dark and creepy that I cannot make out much. Shouldn't AT LEAST the Yellow Castle be happy with blue skies and such? I can see the Black Castle being all creepy, but the Yellow?

Plus with all the darkness, it looks almost green.

Nice work though, more than I could muster. :thumbsup:

Good point, Stan. The black castle certainly will be dark and creepy...

Surprisingly, those are the happiest textures in Quake 3! I'll have to make some new ones for the gold castle! The castle texture is actually from a screenshot of the gold castle, so, it's as authentic as it gets.

Surprisingly, those are the happiest textures in Quake 3! I'll have to make some new ones for the gold castle!

Wow! The quake software is THAT limited? How much can you "make" from scratch? I would image MOST of the Adventure world would be fairly bright, save for the inside of castles, the Black Castle, and the invisible mazes.

How are you going to handle the standard "rooms?" (ie the one due south of the Yellow Castle). Will the walls be stone walls or mountains or what?

I'm not trying to ruin any surprises you have in store, I am just VERY interested in this project!

Thanks

Stan :) :spidey:

This has got me quite excited :) 8)

Are you going to keep the graphics really blocky with not much detail? I hope so, rather than have it all with shiny texture mapped detail. If its plain it will be more like playing Adventure 3D on the Atari, rather than playing a map of Adventure turned into 3D for the PC.

Adam

Wow!  The quake software is THAT limited?  How much can you "make" from scratch?

Quake is as flexible as you want it to be. It's just that the default textures built into the game are not all that happy and bright. You can create and add whatever textures you want though, and I have copy/pasted the actual colors from Adventure into the map.

I would image MOST of the Adventure world would be fairly bright, save for the inside of castles, the Black Castle, and the invisible mazes.

True. The problem with using the "plain" textures (ie the gold castle) is that too much of it tends to blend together. If I increased the light to the max, all you would see was a yellow blur and you wouldn't have any scope of depth or where you were located.

The "invisible" mazes will be the hardest to do... I'm not really sure if I should just do a regular maze, or make it totally black... Or make the lights go out occasionally or what...

How are you going to handle the standard "rooms?"  (ie the one due south of the Yellow Castle).  Will the walls be stone walls or mountains or what?

I've already done some work on them today and started on the maze to the white castle. They are just regular rooms with green, blue, yellow, or whatever texure on the walls. The floor is all the same grey "cement" texture (default Quake 3 texture.)

I'll post some more pictures as I go along...

I'm not trying to ruin any surprises you have in store, I am just VERY interested in this project!

No problem! Someone is helping me make the models... Keys, dragons, the sword, etc... Should be fun to put it all together!

This has got me quite excited    

Are you going to keep the graphics really blocky with not much detail? I hope so, rather than have it all with shiny texture mapped detail. If its plain it will be more like playing Adventure 3D on the Atari, rather than playing a map of Adventure turned into 3D for the PC.  

I intend to create the whole map as exactly as the original as possible. This includes leaving the textures as they were originally and not updating them. Of course, once I get finished, I could make an updated version with new textures and such.

Here are some of the latest screenshots (that look terrible thanks to .jpg compression...)

A "happier-looking" Gold Castle

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv1.jpg

The Gold Castle Room (actually behind the castle)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv2.jpg

A view from on top of the Gold Castle (great position for deathmatch!)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv3.jpg

Venturing out to the other rooms. (Note the ending sky!)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv4.jpg

Also, if you use the editing tool Quark, you can download the latest version of the map here:

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv.zip

That last batch of snaps has done it for me. I'm looking forward to this now more this i am Angel of Darkness on the PS2 :)

Heh heh heh...

Fortunatley, it won't take long to create the map, so it should be available and ready for people to play deathmatch in it soon. ;)

The "Adventure" game will take a bit longer though since there is coding and models involved. We will probably even make the player a square!

Hey Greg.. err George, I like your site btw. The reviews are great.. when are you gonna do more?  

New stuff is posted every couple of days. I have a (semi-) life you know!

WOW! This is looking incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock on dude, this is going to be the coolest! The Yellow castle does look better. The sun must never shine in Quake land though, everything is drenched in shadow!

This is so totally the coolest thing. Greg, you are the man!

Stan :spidey:

Looking cool! I had a lot of fun way back when working on Star Wars Doom patches. I did a lightsaber, laser beam, some trees and other objects :)

If the sky in Quake is anything like the Doom sky was, you should be able to replace the image.. How about the Microsoft cloud image you get with Windows? That would make it look less dreary.

calamari

Looking cool!  I had a lot of fun way back when working on Star Wars Doom patches.  I did a lightsaber, laser beam, some trees and other objects :)  

Ever tried a yellow sword? :wink:

If the sky in Quake is anything like the Doom sky was, you should be able to replace the image.. How about the Microsoft cloud image you get with Windows?  That would make it look less dreary.

Yeah, you can change it to anything you want. I've since changed it to a pure blue. But here's the catch...

I don't know of a way to simply make all of the game at the same light level. So, you have to place light sources in the game that are like lamps. If they get too close to a wall, you'll see the ugly circle of light on it. So positioning is tricky and you have to have a LOT of them in order to make it look happy. Not all that simple of a task.

On another note... Someone suggested using fog effects for the maze to the White Castle and the Black Castle maze. That's the best suggestion I've gotten for that since I had no idea how to do those mazes! :)

I thought there were options in Quake 3 to disable the lightmaps altogether and therefore make the whole thing BRIGHT? I could be wrong..but I thought that was possible?

Also I thought the suggestion had come to create no lights in the mazes and make them totally dark. I think you can add a light that follows the player and would only light up part of the mazes that you can see...that would make it more of the lantern effect and more scary as hell when you ran into Rhindle...hehehehe...

I thought there were options in Quake 3 to disable the lightmaps altogether and therefore make the whole thing BRIGHT?  I could be wrong..but I thought that was possible?

Yes, you can disable the lights. However, because the textures are all one color, this is what you get:

The Gold Castle

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv1_full.jpg

Outside The GC

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv2_full.jpg

The Orange Maze to the White Castle

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/adv3_full.jpg

Also I thought the suggestion had come to create no lights in the mazes and make them totally dark.  I think you can add a light that follows the player and would only light up part of the mazes that you can see...that would make it more of the lantern effect and more scary as hell when you ran into Rhindle...hehehehe...

That would be an interesting idea... Although I don't know how complext it would be to make a light that follows the player. I'm just making the map at this point. The coding and everything else will come later.

well..the no lightmaps used full bright works...provided you can add a yellow brick texture to the castel and surrounding area. I know the original game doesn't have such fancy graphics..but then hell..it wasn't in 3D either...

as for the light following the player...I believe you would set this up to be a dynamic light source coming from you. It would be the same effect as if you had fired off the rocket launcher...only no rocket..just the dynamic light it puts out. That should do the trick. I don't know how complex it is either...but since the weapons do give off this effect...simply make the sword magical and make it glow to provide the light source. Kinda like Sting...heheh

Uh Oh!...a whole knew game idea....

;)

Yes, you can disable the lights. However, because the textures are all one color, this is what you get:

Couldn't you just use only one light source (at infinite distance, like the sun) and combine that with a quite bright scene? That would give you some not to dark shadows and the walls would have a slightly different brightness too.

Couldn't you just use only one light source (at infinite distance, like the sun) and combine that with a quite bright scene? That would give you some not to dark shadows and the walls would have a slightly different brightness too.

No, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either the entire game is lit at the same intensity with no lights, or you must light individual sections.

One single light source even at max intensity is not enough for a map this big. The corners will hold dark spots. Quake 3 lighting isn't as perfect as the sun.

Don't worry. By the time I'm finished with it, this map will be just like the 2600 game. ;)

Here are some of the latest pictures:

Almost perfectly happy Gold Castle

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/goldcastle.jpg

Floating above the Orange Maze (to White Castle)

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/orangemaze1.jpg

Another floating above the Orange Maze shot

http://home.att.net/~ataritimes/orangemaze2.jpg

I turned on "Noclip" so I could float above the orange maze to get those shots. That won't be a view you'd normally get playing the map. Also, I've yet to implement fog into the maze, but I did start with the teleporters. They worked for awhile, and then broke. Not sure why...

Ah well. I'll figure it out!