IGNORED

Tips for Sending Packages: List Your Dos and Don'ts

Random Terrain

If you have any tips about sending packages so the contents will not get damaged, please post them here. What do you think are the best packing materials for various items; what type of boxes are best; what kind of tape is best; how much tape should we use, and so on. What are your personal dos and don'ts about sending packages? What do you hate to see when a package arrives? What do you love to see?

Those of you who send packages all of the time can let newbies and other people who rarely mail things know what you think is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Share your tips and nip problems in the bud now so you won't receive a crushed game box or broken gadget later.

• Like 1

If an item is in its original retail packaging, which happens to be a sturdy cardboard box (or not...), DON'T just slap a label and postage on it! Anytime you ship something that's too big for an envelope, that's not already in a generic brown cardboard box, put it in a ('nother) box! Original packaging has collector value too.

Even if an item fits in an envelope, if it's not packaged well enough to survive being drop-kicked across the street and then having a 40 lb. (18 kg) weight stacked on it, put it in a box that can handle that kind of abuse, with suitable cushioning material if needed. Postal and private shippers do not hand-carry packages as you might if you were driving to a friend's house. Because of the huge volumes they deal with, they must use fast automated sorting and distribution equipment which can inflict very severe jolts; I worked on such a system (I'm an electrician) which used conveyor belts that ran up to 40 mph (65 km/h), and automatic diverters which sorted packages moving at that speed to other paths (similar to hitting a wall at a 45 degree angle). I once received a vintage plastic model kit sealed in its original flimsy pasteboard box from an eBay seller, packed only in a Tyvek envelope for shipping. Imagine what that looked like when I got it.

I've read a story of a lightbulb collector being sent three standard-sized antique bulbs packed in a shoebox with no cushioning whatsoever! I have received glass vacuum tubes packed tightly into the smallest box they could possibly fit into (which also happened to be thin pasteboard) also without any cushioning, and of course half of them arrived broken.

Edited by A.J. Franzman
  • Like 1

great topic! It's about time someone posted recommended handling instructions. I'll post up how I do things (so far so good).

DO's:

for things like carts, power supplies and things that are pretty tough, I go with a padded box or envelope and whatever space is left, stuff it with peanuts, maybe put the items in a ziplock or sandwich bag. Lotsa tape.

Whole computers/consoles: plastic bag, peanuts, standard cardboard box and fill it with peanuts. Lots of tape to make the box slide and reinforce it. Why slide? so the postman doesn't get mad and decide to test the packaging. Keeping them happy :)

Cables/cords get the padded envelope.

CD's, delicate stuff: individual covers or slips, stacked or wrapped in a piece of paper(maybe), then a plastic bag, at least 1-2 inches of packaging around. Lotsa tape.

Any kind of book gets double paper wrapping, maybe a plastic bag, plenty of tape.

Original packaging get an extra box and more peanuts or padding around. Maybe paper wrapped on it. Lotsa tape.

Nice note saying what's in it and to please email me when it is received.

DON'T's:

Single pieces of thin bubble wrap and a flat rate box or envelope.

"Fragile" stamp on package

paper envelopes for anything bigger than a letter.

Nathan

DO:

Ship all games, even loose carts/disks, in a box.

Take extra care with boxed games: bubble wrap + foam peanuts in a box big enough to fit the boxed game comfortably but not too loosely.

Use Delivery Confirmation (or some other form of tracking).

Offer insurance (if not included in the shipping service) to the buyer, particularly if the item is expensive. (If really expensive, require it, or if you are making a big profit, be nice and pay for it yourself.)

Try to be as accurate as possible with shipping costs. If you can be within one dollar, you are golden in my book.

Recycle packing materials like peanuts and bubble wrap as well as shipping boxes, and so on. Be kind to the earth, pass the savings along to your buyer. Really, about the only packing supplies I need to buy is a roll of clear tape from time to time and a Sharpie every now and again (buy in bulk and save).

Clearly address your package.

Ship to confirmed addresses only.

Tell anyone in the shipping business who asks that your package is "computer media".

DON'T:

Skimp on packing material.

Overcharge on shipping.

Be a dick and charge someone $5 for 12" of bubble wrap (ahem, you know who you are).

I prefer salted shelled peanuts though but nice thread.

DO:

listen to what the buyer state. They might have some specific instruction.

mark package with DO NOT BEND if it's flat and can break if bent. Better yet use box so the package can't be bent. Someone sent me a cheap laserdisc that was bent to fit inside a small mail box. it wasn't playable at all. :x

Reuse foam peanuts and bubble wraps, those aren't easy to recycle and some local centers may refuse all type of foams and plastics that aren't marked with specific recycle symbol.

DON'T

Reuse ratty old box, it may not survive another trip!!! If it bends, deforms, or warp easy it's time to retire the box.

Accept or sign for package delivery if the package looks like it was smashed.

Or in my case, DO NOT mark a package with "do not bend" or "fragile", it only encourages people to have a go at breaking it (sad but true).

Anything that is solid enough to survive being sent in a jiffy bag normally gets sent that way. Most other stuff gets shipped in a box filled with peanuts, the item itself covered in bubble wrap. I've seen some people double box items for extra insurance, but I've never needed to go that far.

Thanks for the tips. It would be cool if someone who is good at sending packages could make a YouTube video showing them boxing up various items.

This might be painfully obvious, but....

Whenever I buy any sort of electronics or toys or what have you that has styrofoam inserts of any kind, I always save them. Even the larger pre-structured slabs that look like Tetris pieces (the ones from TVs, DVD machines, etc..) can be broken down/cut to fit a need.

Also, toilet tissue. If the item Im shipping merit's it, I will slide a roll or two to the sides of the item and maybe one or two under/over it. (As with a game system or a stack of games maybe..) This might sound costly, but at 3 or 4-for-a-$1 for the cheap TP, Id say its worth it to use as bumpers for a $100 system you are sending. (Besides, have you seen the price of foam peanuts at some of these retail places? OUCH!)

Just my three cents..

:)

-Joe

Another one: For large package, don't guess at the package's weight. Use a bathroom scale if you must to get an estimate. I estimated one store display at 50 pounds, it ended up almost 65 pounds. I'm going to have to eat about $10 in extra shipping charge. :P But then again, considering I got the store display for free originally, the other $140 I get to keep is still more than what I started with.

One of the benefits of where my office is located in the building is that I am next to the loading dock. They have a large dumpster set out for cardboard boxes so I always pick some up when I see them out there. Also, since somebody is always buying stuff there is usually a lot of foam pieces, static bags, etc. just waiting to be taken home. In the last couple years I think the only packing stuff I have bought is a couple of boxes, bubble wrap, and tape. The is also the odd opportunity to pick up some goodies. I have found a bunch of monitor cables from Dell monitors that came with both VGA and digital cables. They threw out the ones they didn't use. One co-worker picked up an almost brand new dry erase board that hooks to the computer and prints out drawings in color and stuff. He wound up with a $1200 board for the cost of a $100 cable and the drivers.

JY

Do use:

A box that is the right size.

Use air bubble or strips.

USPS packaging tape. It's the best. Wrap it completely around the box in like a cross like pattern.

SEND IT USPS w/signature conformation for high priced stuff.

DO RESEARCH HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST FIRST BEFORE SENDING!

Do not use:

A box that has been wet, bent or tattered.

Newspaper (This doesn't absorb any shock).

Scotch tape. (Actually happended to me).

Any other shipping service other than USPS. :D

LOL @ someone who collects LIGHTBULBS... are you serious! LOL :P I've never heard of something so ridiculous as someone who collects lightbulbs haha...

bulbcollector.com

Some of them are worth as much or more than the rarest video game cartridges. I have a few in the $40 to $150 range. But of course I don't collect them as an investment, but mainly as curiosities and demonstrations of the evolution of technology.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Heh I've got a few vintage bulbs in my collection. They all are Christmas C6 bulbs, the kind that started fire frequently in the past and when one burns out the whole string goes out. I've had many off shaped bulbs including red chinese lantern shape, ceramic globe that looks like snow covered light post, snowman, etc.

A lot of good advice has already been given, so I just have a couple more bits.

Do:

• Recycle. It's true you shouldn't use a box that's being held together more by tape and prayer than actual cardboard. However, if the box is still sturdy and dry, there is no reason why it can't be reused. That goes for the bubble wrap and packing peanuts inside, too. If you devote just a bit of space to keeping this kind of stuff, say, a corner of the garage or a section of the attic, you can put together your own top-notch packages that cost almost nothing more than what you paid for the tape.

Don't:

• Overpack. This should be obvious when it comes to the valuables actually being shipped, but it is also possible to overdo it on packing material. Depending on what you use, cramming in too much packing material can be just as bad as not putting in enough. Also, boxes that are bulging up top or bursting at the seams stand a much worse chance of actually making it to their destinations. Put in enough to keep the contents protected, but resist the urge to stuff in as much as possible.