IGNORED

Waterskier

Fort Apocalypse

version 0.2 - fully functioning game where you try to pick up "cans" in the water (or air). Thought this would be less boring than slalom. 4 levels: freshwater, seawater, night, and blood. Open to suggestions. I want to add a minigame where you have to avoid snapping shark while getting back in the boat when you fall (but you can't fall in current game).

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I like it so far, very creative player movement routines. Keep at it please, this definately has promise. I like the idea for when you fall too.

I think this is novel and fun enough to call for a superchip upgrade. That way you don't have to use Pfheights, so you can use pfcolors/background and add a lot more depth/detail to the playfield.

0.3 - has enemies different for each level 2 trees, 3 buoys, 1 tree, 3 man eating plants (for level 1-4).

Will try to add sound and minigame for next version. Would definitely like to look into superchip features in future version.

Let me know what you think. I can still make you die after missing 3 cans if you'd like. I also thought about adding a jetskier that tries to cross your path, but that may be too frustrating since the skier can't turn quickly.

waterskier0.3.bas

waterskier0.3.bas.asm.txt

waterskier0.3.bas.bin

Sorry, I didn't notice that you are using the multisprite kernel. It seems like you would be much better off with the original kernel. You could use playfield pixels for the boat, and still have 1, or 3 flickered sprites for obstacles.

I hope this will be a 2 player game.

Here is a not very good example of what a superchip playfield looks like:

post-9377-1196562846_thumb.jpg

Edited by MausGames

Sorry, I didn't notice that you are using the multisprite kernel. It seems like you would be much better off with the original kernel. You could use playfield pixels for the boat, and still have 1, or 3 flickered sprites for obstacles.

I hope this will be a 2 player game.

Here is a not very good example of what a superchip playfield looks like:

Wow, I think that looks really good. Do you have source for that? Is it possible to do white for the wake?

The only problem with 2 player is that it sucks up resources, but maybe for a superchip game that wouldn't be as much of a problem. What would you like to see in terms of gameplay for 2 player? Could be a lot of running into each other and falling I suppose. :) Spraying each other would be fun. I'm just having trouble coming up with gameplay beyond the part I had planned for trying not to get eaten by the shark after falling.

• 3 weeks later...

Has colors now, but kind of looks bad :) because I need to figure out how to get around the pfcolors bug that doesn't set colors correctly. If anyone knows how to fool it via asm or some other fix, please let me know.

The levels are different now since I'm limiting playfield colors for time being.

waterskier0.4.bas

waterskier0.4.bas.bin

post-7602-1198818431_thumb.png

I really like the idea behind this game.

Personally, I prefer the 1st versions color scheme. Very plain makes it look like an old school title from the late-70s.

I was thinking, maybe it would make more sense to give it more of an "Activision's Skiing" theme? Instead of dots to touch, waterskiing ramps? instead of whatever you are trying to avoid, weed blobs. I'm just thinking in terms of actual waterskiing.

Again, I really like the theme of this game & would love to see it produced in either Atari text carts or Activision-style with a graphic of the game as the label pic.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace

Do you have the link to that topic? Am having trouble.. tried finding it in search, paging through bugs, and in bugs thread with no luck. TIA

I think i found the thread with the fix you are looking for:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...%20fix&st=0

I also finally took some time to play the game and i really like it! Great job so far! :thumbsup:

Edited by Impaler_26

colorwise my fav version is 1.2 (just light blue sky & dark blue water).

Here's some ideas i envisioned while playing all versions:

get rid of the skis to pick up & replace them with your idea of things to avoid during gameplay (patch of weeds?). Have the ramps be your only way to score points. After you hit the undesired sprite (weeds), then go to the boat pickup screen. Get rid of the shark screen, it's too easy & doesn't have points objective. 3 lives would be sufficient. Then as gameplay progressed make ramps smaller targets & speed up play?

Love the way the game's coming along!

Peace

colorwise my fav version is 1.2 (just light blue sky & dark blue water).

Try hitting select on the latest version above and letting me know what you think of color on the other levels. Will do my best to make it look like you like it.

Here's some ideas i envisioned while playing all versions:

get rid of the skis to pick up & replace them with your idea of things to avoid during gameplay (patch of weeds?).

I want to do this also. Maybe I should reuse player0 sprite for boat and skier so I can avoid flicker.

Have the ramps be your only way to score points. After you hit the undesired sprite (weeds), then go to the boat pickup screen.

Get rid of the shark screen, it's too easy & doesn't have points objective.

Have you tried level 3? What if I kept level 3 difficulty of it and made you have to pick up 2 skis and then the boat would pick you up? I just can't get rid of the shark screen unfortunately. Emotionally attached. I'll be glad to hear about way to improve it though, including ways to get points. I thought before it might be good to be able to whack the shark with a ski after you pick one up?

3 lives would be sufficient. Then as gameplay progressed make ramps smaller targets & speed up play?

I definitely want to increase difficulty as game goes on. I'm not sure the best way to do that though since there is no sense of level completion. Maybe I could add a life bar on right that could be the distance to home/marina.

Love the way the game's coming along!

Peace

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like it!