IGNORED

It's a great time to be a "1 gen back" Gamer

I don't own any of the latest consoles (360, PS3, Wii)... but I DID grow up in the days of the 2600 :)

Man... playing Paper Mario and Rogue Squad II on GameCube today (I got both games for a total of $18 out the door)... it's a GREAT day and age to be a 1 behinder.... man.. so many classics and greats to choose from.. heck.. there are still so many PS2 titles to pick from.

I guess as I get older, I realize it's not necessary to be 'up with the Joneses', plus that and the fact that technology has come leaps and bounds from the 2600 days.. heck.. even giving me SNES games I'm pretty satisfied... but dang.. I'm just blown away with some of these GameCube games... truely amazing what they've done.. and heck... some of these games are from back in 2001... ah.. to be old and grow up thru the days of when 256 colors was 'an improvement'.

Okay, enough babbling, back to Paper Mario :)

Only consoles that I own right now are Genesis and SNES. I did have a Playstation, N64, XBOX and Dreamcast but eventually got rid of them all. I'm pondering buying a PS2 for "Guitar Hero", the "God of War" series, etc. I played GH in a store today and it is addictive as hell.

IMO there's really no need for the overrated, overpriced, underwhelming current-gen systems. They just dont do it for me.

Owning 8+ systems (2600 to PS2) is plenty for me. The best gaming session I had lately was 3 hrs on the ColecoVision.

I also rediscovered WipeOut Fusion (PS2)- plug in my mp3 player w/ a 200-song techno playlist blasting on a 40" TV=awesome.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by RJ

I can see why it'd be fun. Just don't assume those games are going to be for sale forever. I made that mistake with the PS1-- having a PS2, I'd peruse the racks for some old games, but I skipped over the more popular titles for cheapo stuff. Now I can't find Xenogears, Gran Turismo, Vagrant Story, Final Doom, Nightmare Creatures, Silent Hill... they're all gone.

I skipped a few console generations because I was a PC gamer for most of the 90's.

edit, dang bucket, get out of my head!!!! lol I was typing this up as you posted.

My only problem is I'm sorta a purist and I want my stuff to be clean and complete. So that basically means I'm stuck with finding new/sealed items which can be a pain sometimes. Just have to keep my eye out for clearance items and online sales :) I picked up Okami for PS2 last night for $17 sealed at Circuit City... and it'll probably be sealed for a long long time.. lol.

Guess this is how people come into large quantites of sealed games... they just never get around to playing them... heck, I'll just look at it as an 'investment'.. yeaaaaah.. that's what I'll tell the wife when she starts complaining of the size of my collection :)

Edited by Mike 01Hawk

Hey, don't mean to get off topic but I was thinking about the three big systems, anyone think one of them will croak off like Sega did? There is usually only 2 big systems on the market. Although I think they're all doing well (except maybe Sony? I litterally don't know anyone with a PS3) but more competition = less money from me so I'm all for it!

I've already started to notice a significant decline in the quality of used PS2 and Xbox games at my local PawnStops. I wish they'd stop accepting disc-only games...i figured it'd be easier to find complete stuff for longer this generation than it was for the PS1 and Dreamcast, but it's starting to not look that way.

There's a ton of stuff i'd like to buy, but i literally cannot find copies that aren't disc-only.

It seemed to me like they killed off the last generation of systems way too quickly. It wasn't like the graphics or sound were dated looking and disappointing anyone. Starting a new generation of system just so you can get a bump up in resolution, that you'll only notice if you have an HDTV that can display that resolution, seemed dumb.

It seemed to me like they killed off the last generation of systems way too quickly. It wasn't like the graphics or sound were dated looking and disappointing anyone. Starting a new generation of system just so you can get a bump up in resolution, that you'll only notice if you have an HDTV that can display that resolution, seemed dumb.

Console generations usually last about 5-6 years anyway. The last generation started around 2000. Five years before that, the Playstation and Saturn then the N64. About five years before that, the Genesis and SNES. Etc, etc. The new generation is right on schedule.

I don't own any of the latest consoles (360, PS3, Wii)... but I DID grow up in the days of the 2600 :)

Man... playing Paper Mario and Rogue Squad II on GameCube today (I got both games for a total of $18 out the door)... it's a GREAT day and age to be a 1 behinder.... man.. so many classics and greats to choose from.. heck.. there are still so many PS2 titles to pick from.

I guess as I get older, I realize it's not necessary to be 'up with the Joneses', plus that and the fact that technology has come leaps and bounds from the 2600 days.. heck.. even giving me SNES games I'm pretty satisfied... but dang.. I'm just blown away with some of these GameCube games... truely amazing what they've done.. and heck... some of these games are from back in 2001... ah.. to be old and grow up thru the days of when 256 colors was 'an improvement'.

It's my favorite generation despite having my least favorite graphics ( Hello, uncanny valley. ) Between all the new classics ( Beyond Good and Evil, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 ) and the bargain retro compilations ( Midway Arcade Treasures 1, Zelda Collector's Edition, and approx 1,339,234 MegaMan and Sonic the Hedgehog games scattered through multiple discs ), it's the first generation where anyone was heard to complain there wasn't enough time to play all the good games.

The only "last gen system" I still own is a Playstation 2, and that hardly gets played.

Same here. My Atari 2600 and NES has seen a lot more action than the ps2. The only time the ps2 caught up was with the guitar hero series, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with that. Just no time.

ALthough I do own a Wii since last May, I usually wait a few years for the newer systems too. The 1-behinder rule, as you so succinctly put it, yields lots of great games at cheap prices, and no waiting. I waiting 1 year for the GCN to come out and I remember the awe at playing Rogue Squadron II , especially with the sound system turned up loud. Good choice there.

I'm still picking up Xbox, GCN and PS2 games. And they're still making lots of games, namely some of the cool retro collections (SEGA classics, Taito Classics, SEGA gems, etc), and Tomb Raider Anniversary on PS2 , and the upcoming NiGHTS into dreams remake on PS2.

Incidentally, I bought Wii before I decide on either PS3 or X360 because (1) the kids wanted it more due to Nintendo games (Mario, Smash Bros, etc), (2) cheaper, and finally (3) because I know once I plug in one of those super high-def X360/PS3 consoles in, it might be hard to be as excited at the "1-behinder" generation.

I like more classic games on consoles. Stuff like HALO, without keyboard mouse action, really limits the experience. It's immersive, looks beautiful, etc... but the game action is throttled too much to allow for the dual analog controllers.

Sometimes it works, but not often.

A PC is best for that kind of experience.

Classic games are good for quick fun, maybe a varied experience, or multi-player stuff. Perfect Dark on N64, Warlords on VCS, Mario Kart, etc... are just great fun, when people are around to have fun with. On the PC side, a little home network and Quake X, Unreal, etc... are fun too. It's a bit of a hassle to setup, but totally worth it. We still regularly play Q3A, capture the flag and just full on death match games.

Gonna move soon, and will just set that stuff up again. It's way more fun than the consoles are. Besides, good computers that can play that stuff are not all that expensive these days, serve many other uses too. Way more bang for the buck than current gen consoles are. Why they don't put more human interfaces on them is beyond me. Maybe it's all about differentiation from the ordinary computer. If so, the Wii has it down cold, leaving the others just being wannabes in my mind.

I've a PS2 and really like it. Played the very long final fantasy release (13?) recently. Over 200 hours of good gaming, shared with my wife. We love a good FF game. We take the time to really get into it, explore all the options, follow the little sub games and puzzles. That game, on a HDTV looks just great. It's not as great as HALO is, but let's just say it's great enough!

Graphics are important, but the actual play experience has always been more important and that's where current gen stuff just does not always deliver, in terms of bang for the buck.

Another option I've gotta get setup again is MAME on a nice TV, or HDTV. MYTH TV has come a long ways. Always wanted to set one of those up, incorporate MAME and some wireless keyboard mouse, game controller adapters and just have an excellent living room entertainment system. Roll in emulators for the classic consoles and it's looking to be well worth the effort.

I look at the money I would spend on a current gen system, and if I had it, I don't think I would spend it now.

Bummer about the disc games too. It's gonna be a way different scene playing older titles now. Second hand disc games are often problematic. Get a good resurfacing machine. I've got one of these, some disc polish and various other liquids and tools that can get discs playable. ---and people wonder why making backups and installing mods is so popular!

I've lost enough PS2 games to just ordinary wear and tear to really turn me off. I don't have a modded system --might not get one actually. Maybe I'll just go for the PC option above instead, playing what I find when it makes sense. If I were really spending on one gen back titles, I would totally set it up for backups and mods for the longer haul.

There is enough classic / homebrew stuff happening that I'm likely to skip it at this point. I'm gonna pick up some home brews for myself and maybe as gifts for a coupla people. I feel one hell of a lot better about spending and supporting that scene than I do the whole mod, backup deal. Add in the expense of current gen stuff, and it's issues, and it's rapidly becoming a no-brainer.

I do tend to more or less keep up with systems, ever since I got a GC on launch day.

Sometimes it's just nice to be in on a system when it's still a hot topic, know you're one of the first, participate in active discussions. Similar to some of the reasons for going to the movies rather than just relying on Netflix.

But it's a lot cheaper if you're willing to hang back a few years, and I think the GC/PS2/Xbox had some solid gems -- you already found one of my favorites, Rogue Squadron 2. I assume it's still looking pretty damn cinematic! I never had a Star Wars game that so brought me into the scenes of the movie...

Having the newest thing when I was a kid and teenager seemed MUCH more important to me than it does now. Maybe because of the fact that when I was a kid, any money I had could be spent on whatever I wanted. Whereas now any money I have goes towards the damn BILLS!!! GRR! :P

I used to be the kind that kept uptodate on consoles. But last generation was the last. The whole to much money (to keep up three different consoles) paired with the WAY to high price (I bought a PS2, and X0box, day one, for $300 each, and the Gamecube for $200) But now, 5---+ for the PS3, $400+ for the X-box, and even Nintendo broke away from their tried and true $200 priceing (but at least they threw something in for the extra money) I simply can't afford it.

Top it off with the fact, that other than the PS2, there's not much noticable difference in graphics from last gen to current gen. Yes, they do exist, I won't deny that, but for the most part, without buying another piece of expensive equipment (yeah, some people jumped on HD day one...of course, they'r paying for it with compatibility issues) just to get most of them. Many games have little or no noticeable graphical difference form the last gen counterparts.

I like more classic games on consoles. Stuff like HALO, without keyboard mouse action, really limits the experience. It's immersive, looks beautiful, etc... but the game action is throttled too much to allow for the dual analog controllers.

Besides, good computers that can play that stuff are not all that expensive these days,

:lol: Good one.

I'm fully "one gen behind" and it is indeed a great place to be! Much more affordable and every bit as satisfying as being "current gen." The only thing I'm really missing is the unique game-play available on the Wii, but I probably couldn't even buy a console if I wanted one given its continuing availability problems.

I'm loving playing the great games for Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube!

Edited by Gentlegamer

I gobbled up new Dreamcast games as they were being blown out. It's still the newest console I own, although I haven't played it much recently.

I doubt I will ever own a current console again as I just can't see myself paying $50 for a game. I'd rather have something a little older and like the OP get it for a heavy discount, like Half Life 2 for the PC which I'm playing now for $10.

Edited by Brian R.

Much agreed. It up to "the kids" these days to HAVE to have the latest (i.e. anything less than Halo 3 sucks). It's as if somehow, you must believe PS2/Xbox/Gamecube graphics INSTANTLY became sh*t because they're not the latest. I wonder how many people hook the "next-gen" systems to SDTVs and "waste" the graphics potential anyway....except for Wii of course.

I picked up a mint Gamecube for $25 at a pawn shop. Had them bring "the stack" to the counter, then divided them into semi-finalists (not scratched/banged) then settled for the one with the least dust in the fan!!! Got Gameboy Player for $10, Wavebird controller for $10 - all nice. Everything for less than the cost of ONE CONTROLLER for a PS3.

I'd been holding out on Gamecube until they got to this price, and I must say I am impressed! I think the Gamecube has excellent graphics. I can't understand paying so much for the Wii and the same franchises (Mario, Starfox, Smash Bros, etc) when it has the SAME graphics, plus I wouldn't trade the Wavebird for that jiggle-me-jerk-off controller any day!

Now stocking up on cheap Gamecube games. They're disappearing from retail fast, but they're in the pawn shop - my store.

Indeed, it's a great time to be a "last-gen" gamer!!!!

I have to say that this dismissal of the Wii controller is probably a bit harsh. I, for one, think it's amazing. The Wii is the first console I have bought in the 1st-gen in many, many years at for me it lives up to the hype. I love the controller and the Wii Sports and the waving it around like a sword, etc. Just for what it's worth. I am not usually a 1st-gen guy at all, but I played one round of Wii Tennis (with AtariAgers, even!) and was hooked. To me, the experience is worth the cash.

Of course this is coming from someone who spent the better part of his day playing Jr. Pac-Man on the 2600.

I can't understand paying so much for the Wii and the same franchises (Mario, Starfox, Smash Bros, etc) when it has the SAME graphics, plus I wouldn't trade the Wavebird for that jiggle-me-jerk-off controller any day!

Now stocking up on cheap Gamecube games. They're disappearing from retail fast, but they're in the pawn shop - my store.

I have to say that this dismissal of the Wii controller is probably a bit harsh. I, for one, think it's amazing. The Wii is the first console I have bought in the 1st-gen in many, many years at for me it lives up to the hype. I love the controller and the Wii Sports and the waving it around like a sword, etc. Just for what it's worth. I am not usually a 1st-gen guy at all, but I played one round of Wii Tennis (with AtariAgers, even!) and was hooked. To me, the experience is worth the cash.

Of course this is coming from someone who spent the better part of his day playing Jr. Pac-Man on the 2600.

I have a good reason for hating the Wii controller.

My hands shake.

Just a little. The legacy of medical malpractice. You wouldn't notice it if we met.

I can't use the Wiimote. It took both hands, it felt like wrestling someone else trying to type into the onscreen keyboard at the same time, as the selected keys flashed around too fast to choose the correct one except by chance.

This was the same day I destroyed a hardcore gamer on Streetfighter 2 & 3, and found most of the stars on Mario 64's ghost house. I have no troubles with the DS touchscreen.

I genuinely like the Wii, but if it continues to succeed, I may not be able to play the generation that follows it at all.