IGNORED

JaguarCD Cinepak Video Creation!

ovalbugmann

Ok, I have wanted to make use of JagMod's PC-Cinepak to Jag-Cinepak conversion utility for a long time. :) Well, over at Jaguar Sector 2 we had a person; "Rubixcube6", do it successfully and write a tutorial so anyone can make their own JaguarCD video discs quite easily. You just need to buy Apple Computer's Quicktime Pro version 7, I think it's about $30-40. You could read his threads he started on JS2, if you are interested. Also, "Matthias" Domin has some very good posts here on Atariage (to my Cinepak making questions) on how to use JagMods converter properly and effectively. Additionally, Glenn Bruner has some very good posts on Cinepak Creation on JS2, he goes by "atarifan49" on JS2 as well as here. And reading the Cinepak section in the Atari Jaguar Official Development Manual would be helpful for understanding the process, if so desired. :)

But, really all you need to do to start making your own Cinepak videos to play on your JaguarCD player is read Rubixcube6's tutorial, he has a website called; "The Atari Jaguar Video DataBase." If you do make a Cinepak video for the Jaguar please consider uploading it to Rubix's Jag Cinepak Database website so everyone can enjoy your work and Cinepak video too! :D ViMaster will (hopefully still) be encrypting all the videos for you!, that are submitted to Rubix on the website, so you don't have to worry about that. He's made use of Matthias's encryption utility CD image and made his own cable specifically for that. Some kind of bypass cart would be very helpful to you for testing your burned CD during the Cinepak creation process, such as: B&C's Bypass cartridge, ProtectorSE, BattleSphereGOLD, or a Development JaguarCD BIOS Chip (with Glenn Bruner's cracked JaguarCD bios software on it) being sold by "Chaos89" for $7 each shipped (the software on this chip is free and you are just paying Chaos89 for the chip, burning & shipping :) ), or a Development JaguarCD Player w/ a Stubulator'94 Jaguar. - Although those are not totally necessary as someone on the site including Rubix and myself, could test the unencrypted video for you after you upload it to the site.

(Keep in mind he does not accept nudity videos on his site though)

Check out this site if you haven't already!!:The Atari Jaguar Video DataBase!!!

Thanks to Rubixcube6, of course! & viMaster for giving the space for the videos on the DB to be stored as well as encrypting all the videos too :) , not to mention the quick downloads his server seems to do! Also thanks to JagMod for his great vers.-1.5 Cinepak converter update!

:)

Edited by ovalbugmann

Thanks for this bit of news. Wanted to make Jaguar videos for a while now.

Sure, no problem! I've always wanted to turn my JaguarCD Player in to a VCR! :P Hey,.. be sure and sign up for a free member account at the Jagviddb website, we need more people over there! Thanks. I'm going to be making some videos, but I just need to get Quicktime Pro 7. :)

Ok, I have wanted to make use of JagMod's PC-Cinepak to Jag-Cinepak conversion utility for a long time. :) Well, over at Jaguar Sector 2 we had a person; "Rubixcube6", do it successfully and write a tutorial so anyone can make their own JaguarCD video discs quite easily. You just need to buy Apple Computer's Quicktime Pro version 7, I think it's about $30-40. You could read his threads he started on JS2, if you are interested. Also, "Matthias" Domin has some very good posts here on Atariage (to my Cinepak making questions) on how to use JagMods converter properly and effectively. Additionally, Glenn Bruner has some very good posts on Cinepak Creation on JS2, he goes by "atarifan49" on JS2 as well as here. And reading the Cinepak section in the Atari Jaguar Official Development Manual would be helpful for understanding the process, if so desired. :)

But, really all you need to do to start making your own Cinepak videos to play on your JaguarCD player is read Rubixcube6's tutorial, he has a website called; "The Atari Jaguar Video DataBase." If you do make a Cinepak video for the Jaguar please consider uploading it to Rubix's Jag Cinepak Database website so everyone can enjoy your work and Cinepak video too! :D ViMaster will (hopefully still) be encrypting all the videos for you!, that are submitted to Rubix on the website, so you don't have to worry about that. He's made use of Matthias's encryption utility CD image and made his own cable specifically for that. Some kind of bypass cart would be very helpful to you for testing your burned CD during the Cinepak creation process, such as: B&C's Bypass cartridge, ProtectorSE, BattleSphereGOLD, or a Development JaguarCD BIOS Chip (with Glenn Bruner's cracked JaguarCD bios software on it) being sold by "Chaos89" for $7 each shipped (the software on this chip is free and you are just paying Chaos89 for the chip, burning & shipping :) ), or a Development JaguarCD Player w/ a Stubulator'94 Jaguar. - Although those are not totally necessary as someone on the site including Rubix and myself, could test the unencrypted video for you after you upload it to the site.

Thanks to Rubixcube6, of course! & viMaster for giving the space for the videos on the DB to be stored as well as encrypting all the videos too :) , not to mention the quick downloads his server seems to do! Also thanks to JagMod for his great vers.-1.5 Cinepak converter update!

Thanks for this interesting summary. Helpful and a nice read.

Not sure of what happened to the utube video,...Which one was it? It would be great if you guys with questions would go to the jagviddb (link is above) and register for an account (it's quick, easy & free) and then email Ribixcube with your questions(his email is on the site), it would let him know people are interested in this stuff. :)

Clay, I'm trying to get more material ON the JaguarCD Player, not take it off of JaguarCD's and put them on utube for people that may not appreciate it, or really care about the Jaguar(considering some comments of other Jag videos on utube). I would much rather watch any Jaguar Cinepak video directly through my JagCD Player, I like to see the unit be able to run more things and of my choosing, that's why I thought this was so cool. :cool: I was actually thinking about doing the opposite of what your suggesting - downloading some Jaguar .FLVs off of utube and converting them to PC Cinepak encoded .mov clips in preparation to run through JagMod's encoder to make it Jaguar Cinepak encoded in order to have it play on a JaguarCD player. I've noticed your posts can be technical, interesting and quite informative ;), but I would start with ISO Buster, on the JagCD disc you want to rip, then try a few methods of locating the FMV tracks from the extracted RAW (or other) tracks, isolating and coverting them to something playable on a computer. Let us know if you can develop a process to do so, I'm sure it CAN be done. :)

Noel (ovalbugmann)

Edited by ovalbugmann

I see now! :D The tutorial video on the jagviddb site says; "This video is no longer available." Thanks doctorclu, for looking up that same video on YouTube for me and others to use. I haven't seen it before and although the quality is poor I think I got something out of it, however, I understand the written instructions Rubix has along with the original JS2 thread and that's what I am going to use alongside the tutorial video.

By the way I downloaded that tutorial from Youtube using; http://www.downloadyoutubevideos.com. Just copy the address of that video and put it into that website, right click, and it will download it to your desktop. I also used the; "Free Download Manager" DL utility, as my right click, and it seemed to DL from YouTube faster.

Let everyone know, if anyone makes a new JaguarCD Cinepak video! I will do the same. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

• 2 weeks later...

Is Quicktime the only application good to convert my videos for the cinepack? i've tried to convert them with total video converter and it say that an error as happend, same thing with a *.mov file not converted...

Yes, you can only use Apple Computers' Windows version of Quicktime Pro 6 or 7 or probably an earlier version, if your going to use it with Jagmod's Windows-Cinepack-to-Jaguar-Cinepak coverter program. A .MOV file indicates = a "Quicktime Movie."

The Cinepak video compression was originally created by another company, I believe, which was contracted to do so by Apple(for Atari?), and they made it so Apple could run it on their Macintosh computers. So Atari and all other developers originally used Quicktime Pro for the Macintosh to make Cinepak videos for Jag games. JagMod made his Cinepak conversion utility for Windows users so people without Macintosh computers, like me, could make Cinepak videos without an Apple-Mac computer.

Cinepak is a proprietory compression of Apple Computers, and will not be found on any other companies' software.

If anyone has some more information on this Apple/Cinepak/Atari history, I would like to know more.

Edited by ovalbugmann

• 11 months later...
Hey!

Can somebody still provide the original files used in that video? I can't get it from that website anymore.

Regards, Lars.

Same here! If someone could also provide me with the original files in that video I'd greatly appreciate it! I tried to visit the weblink provided by the OP and a message appears asking me to renew the hosting service. Very strange! :ponder:

Hello Lars & STguy,

The website with the Cinepak creation tools/files in my above link is back online now so you can get some of the basic things needed for making a Cinepak video on the Jaguar. :) Check it out.

Thanks for your pdf file of the old Jaguar ads you did very recently, STguy :cool:, it's much easier viewing than trying to load the graphics intensive pages they are on - especially since I have low bandwidth internet speed.

LARS - How are you man! I have all your Jaguar releases including, "EuroJagfest 2K1" - but since you are very knowledgeable about the Jaguar and have already created a Cinepak CD, why would you need any of these basic tools to make a Jag Cinepak CD? Anyways, How is EerieVale coming along? I am patiently waiting to buy a JaguarCF unit from SCPCD & Zerosquare just for your EerieVale game!

I have learned a lot about Jaguar Cinepak since starting this thread. :) Using the method described in the tutorial produces relatively low resolution JagCD video playback. :( I have finally figured out how to make as high a resolution Cinepak video as the machine can possible handle with it's low bandwidth. Using a PC not a Mac - If you start with a high quality video, your original, and then encode it again with a good compressor, (I use the 3IVX-MPEG-4 Compressor) in 320x240 aspect ratio which is the max the Jag can handle for Cinepak, then export it in Apple's Quicktime to make a .AVI video and NOT a .MOV video, then drop that on the JagCinePak.exe tool for conversion to Jaguar Cinepak, you can make a very high quality video to play back on the Jag. Yes, higher quality resolution than your 2K1 video. I converted some high res (DVD) movies to the JaguarCD and I was just amazed at the quality I achived - there was almost none of that square pixilization inherent in Cinepak video at low bandwidths! :D There are a lot of variables at every step of the process so you have to keep in mind the Jaguar CDs limits like it's max speed of 2X which can deliver only a max sustainable data rate of 352.8kbps, 24FPS, etc. Although, I am sure you know all this already Lars.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! - and happy Jaguar Cinepak Video making!!

If anybody makes any JagCD videos -post them somewhere and tell us about it, I made some and they should soon be posted on Jaguar Sector II.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Hey ovalbugmann!

LARS - How are you man! I have all your Jaguar releases including, "EuroJagfest 2K1" - but since you are very knowledgeable about the Jaguar and have already created a Cinepak CD, why would you need any of these basic tools to make a Jag Cinepak CD? Anyways, How is EerieVale coming along? I am patiently waiting to buy a JaguarCF unit from SCPCD & Zerosquare just for your EerieVale game!

I'm fine, thank you. It's really great to hear that you like my work. :)

I asked about the cinepak tools, because when I did the euro jagfest 2k1 video back in the day, it really was a lot of work and also a while ago.

So I was hoping maybe I could find a quicker way, that didn't require loads of CDRs to test. ;)

It's great to hear that you are looking forward to Eerievale.

In the past, I didn't have as much time for my projects due to study & life, but I have always kept working on it.

Just recently I made some changes to the storyline, which really create a lot more tension and are quite exciting. :)

I'm also using the Christmas holidays to put as much time into the project as I can.

You might want to check out my website from time to time again.

The Jaguar section will be in english again and there you'll find important updates on my projects.

Regards, Lars.

Thanks for the update on EerieVale, I will check out the website you have for it more often to read more about it and things I may have missed. It's gonna be a good one I'm sure and maybe you can get the EerieVale novel published too. :) I hope to see the JaguarCF released also. I have a new "Skunkboard" - a 4MB flashcard/USB Jag Uploader with which I am trying out some of your demo Jag programs, it's pretty neat and seems to be a full replacement for a 4MB Alpine! It runs under XP's system32 Command Prompt and some essential new development tools were just released for use alongside it for full WinXP Jag coding! I don't need to use my Win98 laptop for a JagDev environment/flashcart/BJL anymore. But I am just a beginner coder and am just playing around with the stuff right now. :)

Also, I have sent you a PM.

Hey!

Can somebody still provide the original files used in that video? I can't get it from that website anymore.

Regards, Lars.

Hey!

Regards, Lars.

Same here! If someone could also provide me with the original files in that video I'd greatly appreciate it! I tried to visit the weblink provided by the OP and a message appears asking me to renew the hosting service. Very strange! :ponder:

Exactly what on that site were you guys trying to get?

Their talking about Rubixcube6's jagviddb.spruz.com site it was locked because he didn't renew more time on the free web hosting for it I believe, but it is back up now. :) So people can download some basic Cinepak tools to get started with if desired - but I don't think Cinepak on the Jag is very popular though - GAMES are! We need a new game for the Jag for the holiday. I keep checking Songbirds' site but no Robinson's Requiem yet....

Edited by ovalbugmann

Hello Lars & STguy,

The website with the Cinepak creation tools/files in my above link is back online now so you can get some of the basic things needed for making a Cinepak video on the Jaguar. :) Check it out.

Thanks for your pdf file of the old Jaguar ads you did very recently, STguy :cool:, it's much easier viewing than trying to load the graphics intensive pages they are on - especially since I have low bandwidth internet speed.

Sweet! Thank you for the update! I can't wait to produce my first video on the Jaguar. :)

And you're welcome!

Their talking about Rubixcube6's jagviddb.spruz.com site it was locked because he didn't renew more time on the free web hosting for it I believe, but it is back up now. :) So people can download some basic Cinepak tools to get started with if desired - but I don't think Cinepak on the Jag is very popular though - GAMES are! We need a new game for the Jag for the holiday. I keep checking Songbirds' site but no Robinson's Requiem yet....

Yeah I keep checking there too, really hoping it is Robinson's Requiem!! I will definitely be buying it if it is!! :D They did say that more info would be released by the end of the year right??

Cool it is kinda neat to get the Jaguar to play your own video selection. The first video I did was a full length movie; "The Descent" and then "Cloverfield." both were pretty good I thought and they looked good on the Jag.

If you want glance over these threads at Jaguarsector.com - just a little more talk about vid making on the Jag.

http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?show...12331&st=90

http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?show...60&start=60

Edited by ovalbugmann

Their talking about Rubixcube6's jagviddb.spruz.com site it was locked because he didn't renew more time on the free web hosting for it I believe, but it is back up now.

Ok, good. I was just checking, because I believe the files are hosted on my web space and it rarely goes down nor does the hosting require manual renewal. It must have been the jag video db site itself.