IGNORED

Brainstorming a Tony Hawk/Skate style game on the 2600.

A Sprite

Forget asking if it can be done.

The question is, would it be any good?

The basics of the games are to pull off a trick in the air before you land, and ride a rail without falling. At that level, there are no enemies, no missiles. It could run on static screens. Place the main character and the elements of the level as a black silhouette in front of the ever present Activision sunset - is there enough memory left to create enough personality in the tricks to reward the player for taking the risks? Half the fun is in feeling the pain when you bail...

And now the small print: I'm not now nor have I ever been a programmer. I'm not looking for anyone to program this game. I just enjoy the mental challenge of planning ways to make 30 year old hardware pull off modern gameplay.

Hopefully others enjoy these kinds of puzzles too. :)

If it's out of bounds, please move it to where it needs to be, or delete as necessary...

I always thought that Activision should take Skateboardin' and transform it into a Tony Hawk game for their next classic game collection. But hey, I'm funny that way.

Seriously, though, this is certainly feasible, although some changes may have to be made in order to get it to work. For instance, a side view perspective would probably work better than an isometric perspective, which could be too taxing on the 2600's limited hardware. Also, it would probably require a lot of text to describe goals and such, so you'd need a good text display routine and probably a lot of space on the cartridge to store all those messages.