IGNORED

Homebrew request: make Tennis For Two

ComputerSpaceFan

Any homebrewers out there willing to take on a request? I've been reading up on Willy Higgenbotham's Tennis For Two and watching the footage at the following link.

http://www.osti.gov/accomplishments/videogame.html

Since it's sort of like Pong but side view, I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be makeable? Obviously it wouldn't run as smoothely as it does on the oscilloscope and it would look different from that, but anyone care to comment on whether or not it would be playable?

I happen to have some more footage of Tennis for Two being played on my site at the following link (Right click and choose Save Target As... for easier download)

http://www.computerspacefan.com/tennis.mpeg

I already thought about making a tennis for two for the ColecoVision some time ago.

I see two problems:

1) Not enough colors. The scope has lots of shades of green. The CV has just three.

2) Input. Tennis for two has a button (no problem) and a knob for each player. The is an analog input device. The ColecoVision's joystick has just 8 directions. One option would be to use the wheel on the super action controllers or roller controllers.

It's doable; a small project (not the kind of homebrew to be sold, just a fun project).

Maybe I'll do it this spring. I'm working on smooth movement and gravity anyway (for SCJ3).

Philipp

Any homebrewers out there willing to take on a request? I've been reading up on Willy Higgenbotham's Tennis For Two and watching the footage at the following link.

Since it's sort of like Pong but side view, I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be makeable? Obviously it wouldn't run as smoothely as it does on the oscilloscope and it would look different from that, but anyone care to comment on whether or not it would be playable?

I happen to have some more footage of Tennis for Two being played on my site at the following link (Right click and choose Save Target As... for easier download)

I wanted to comment, all though...I don't have time to do this request.

But, I wanted to say, I did a tennis game a long time ago with very limited colors.

The effect of trailing pixels, and dissolves....actually looks quite neat and wouldn't be unpleasant to the eye...it works OK, to simulate that oscilliscope feel...(that was not my intention at the time...it started, by a mistake in my calculations)....but I realized it was a pleasant effect, not unsimilar to the decay in your oscilliscope example.

anyway..good luck. I'm not sure that Tennis for 2, even in its original incarnation was a fun game...it was fun in 1958, because it was so different.

The effect of trailing pixels, and dissolves....actually looks quite neat and wouldn't be unpleasant to the eye...it works OK, to simulate that oscilliscope feel...(that was not my intention at the time...it started, by a mistake in my calculations)....but I realized it was a pleasant effect, not unsimilar to the decay in your oscilliscope example.

Since the game doesn't need to show any players, and doesn't need much background, it could use the playfield to draw the "court" bright green, the "ball" to show the current position of the ball (also bright green), P0 and M0 to draw the two previous positions (medium green), and P1/M1 to draw the two positions before those (dark green). Wouldn't quite match the appearance of the scope, but should look pretty good anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

This is far from a finished or polished game. It's just a quick and dirty hack I did this afternoon. One obvious improvement would be to ave an non-flickering ball and let only the tail flicker. It's controlled by the first ColecoVision controller only. Point the joystick tothe desired direction, press fire to hit the ball. The ball will bounce when it hits the ground or net (with some dampening). The game stops if the ball leaves the field to either side.

Philipp

Tennis.rom.gz

This is far from a finished or polished game. It's just a quick and dirty hack I did this afternoon. One obvious improvement would be to ave an non-flickering ball and let only the tail flicker. It's controlled by the first ColecoVision controller only. Point the joystick tothe desired direction, press fire to hit the ball. The ball will bounce when it hits the ground or net (with some dampening). The game stops if the ball leaves the field to either side.

Philipp

using the current rom, I found it easier to hold the fire button down, for observing the movement.

neat. It's interesting to see different approaches to the same problem. It would be neat if several people tackled the task...

I liked the flickering balls look, it was an interesting effect.

Edited by Mark2008

Philipp

I just tried it with Meka. Cool stuff! :D

• 8 months later...

aww damit :( I actually was making plans on recreating the game but looks like someone already beat me to it

aww damit :( I actually was making plans on recreating the game but looks like someone already beat me to it

oh wait your doing it for a different system never mind :D

It seems to me that the obvious thing to do, would be to hack elements of the Video Olympics Basketball and Volleyball games together, to end up with a paddle-sports game viewed from the side, with a net, and a bouncing ball.

i thought of that, but theirs lots and lots of code to sift through

other than that i already have the playing field and the net, ball and pointer graphics

the ping i havent done yet and i dont know where to begin with the "tennis o tron"

any of you atari wizards can do all of that in five minutes

but whats the rush? :|