IGNORED

Games Beat in 2008

vdub_bobby

I thought last year's version of this thread was kinda fun, so here's one for 2008. :)

I'll kick things off: Just beat one of my Christmas presents, Metroid Fusion (GBA) :)

That is such a good game. I need to find a copy: I managed to lose the game loaning to some family member but still have the box and book.

I love it too, albeit it is rather short. How long did it take? 5-6 hours? I also like Metroid Zero, but that was even shorter ;)

Took 5:49. Kinda short, but I don't mind. :)

Went on to one of my other Christmas presents and beat that, too: Aero the Acrobat (GBA). :D

That game ended up being better than I thought it would be at first - the first level is so garish and busy that it drove me nuts. Plus the gameplay was very repetitive: find 5 star platforms, find 10 star platforms, find 15 magical hoops, blah blah blah. :roll:

But the levels after that had more variety, were easier to look at, and were a lot more fun. :thumbsup:

Now I'm working on my *other* GBA Christmas present, Metroid (the original). :D

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. I have 100%, but have to finish the "Skywolf" mission for true completion. (and the Hunter sucks, but that's another thread...)

----------------------------

EDIT: Eight months later, I beat the PS1 version of FF8 for the first time. It is a cakewalk compared to the PC version. Two of the major factors are:

1. The PC version can experience controller lag, making it near impossible to boost GFs. I did, however, manage to boost Bahamut to 250 on the PC, but I've yet to do that on the PS1.

2. The PocketStation can be taken with. Unless you've got a PII laptop, you're not going to be able to run Chocobo World effectively while you're away from home. Oh, you can run it, but it takes a lot longer to level up, find items, and to meet Coco all three times.

On the PC version, though, your Chocobo World ID is not set by the hardware ID, so you're a tad more likely to get rare items here in the USA. The PocketStation, on the other hand, determines your likelihood of getting rare items based on its own serial number, making it a little harder for PS1 gamers to get the cool stuff.

In the major fights, I find that setting up Rinoa's magic so that she only casts Meteor while under Angel Wing status helps a lot. I used this in conjunction with Angelo and Holy Wars to beat Omega Weapon in both versions. I usually goof up the first few turns and have to rely on Angelo for a while. On the PC version, I managed to get a Wishing Star attack that way!

As for the final boss, that strategy works, also it helps to have lots of Aura Stones, X-Potions, and Heroes lying about. I did summon the Moogle during that battle, I also used Eden quite a bit (thanks to the Hero) and I usually use tons of Meteors if Rinoa is present. If Squall is around, I let him use his limit break. Others get to summon the Chocobo World cast, doing at least 9999 damage per hit.

In this battle, Ultimecia was killed by the Chubby Chocobo! Hu-wah, hu-wah! Boko/Chubby Chocobo's attack did 13940 points of damage, and that was the end!

I tell ya, the first time I saw Boko summon the Chubby Chocobo, I laughed until I cried 'cause it was soooo funny.

Oh, the vitals:

One Game Over for mission failure in Dollet (I took too long)

One soft reset due to losing too many cards in Triple Triad (lost many rares to Selphie's friend in Trabia)

Five lost battles that resulted in Game Over, one to a pair of Cyborgs 'cause I was dumb, one to Bahamut, one to a Ruby Dragon, one after two Rebirth Flames and an Angelo Reverse vs Ultima Weapon (kicked his tail immediately for that one), and one that I can't remember who I lost to...

A couple more resets when Triple Triad glitched on me

Edited by shadow460

So far, I've only completed Super Mario Galaxy (120 stars with Mario).

Soon to add to the list, however, is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox). That, and I'm sure more to come. :D

EDIT: Oh yes, newly-downloaded Undertow for the 360 (on the lowest level though; I have to go back on the higher ones later).

Edited by rockman_x_2002

• 2 weeks later...

And another GBA game: Advance Wars - this was very cool but not as awesome as I had hoped. IMO not worth the $20 I paid for it, but still - had and having fun with it. :)

I put away my Xbox after finishing Crimson Skies and I've been trying to get into Metroid Prime but I'm having a hard time...so far it seems more tedious than fun.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force for the PC.

I've had it for a while and needed to blow things up while repairing computers over the weekend.

I've also been playing Chuzzle Deluxe on the PC and my Verizon cell phone. The phone version has a bug where it will crash on level 41 or 42 depending on the difficulty level.

• 3 weeks later...

Just beat Crystalis (GBC). Not as cool as the NES version, but pretty cool nonetheless. Like I told my brother, it is a pretty sloppy port, but the game was so good to begin with that it still rocks. ;)

So my list so far:

Metroid Fusion (GBA)

Aero the Acrobat (GBA)

Crimson Skies (Xbox)

Advance Wars (GBA)

Crystalis (GBC)

Working on Final Fantasy (NES) right now...

• 1 month later...
I beat "A Link To The Past" after having not played it in years. Yay, me!

The game was more challenging than I remembered. I had to consult gamefaqs on occasion.

Yeah! I just acquired a copy and am currently working on the third dungeon in the dark world. It's only a matter of time...

Completed games so far:

Gears of War (XBox 360)

Army of Two (XBox 360)

Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

Astro Warrior (SMS)

Games in progress:

Bioshock (XBox 360)

Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (PS2)

After Burner (SMS)

Halo 3 (XBox 360)

Batman (NES)

Super Wing Commander (3DO)