IGNORED

What's a good cheap EPROM burner for 2600 carts?

tremoloman2006

I'm sure this has been asked before... BUT...

What's a good cheap EPROM burner for 2600 carts that is available today?

I'd love to be able to try out all the rare, OOP, and prototype stuff on the real deal instead of using an emulator. I'm hoping one can be had for not too much.

Is this one good for 2600 titles?

http://secure.transtronics.com/EPROM%20Programmer.html

Thanks in advance!

That one looks a bit pricey for just casual use.

I have got this one http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/BX...programmer.html it's about $100 less than the one in your link, quality is fantastic, Interface is really easy to use, I have not burned a dud yet :D

Stay away from the Willams and the Top stuff, it is a lot of trouble, I started with a Willams and made one good rom after about 150 attempts and 3 weeks of my life wasted :mad:

there is a lot more advice in this topic

good luck

yea, dont get a willem, they are cheep and all, but they are crap. In order to burn the chips that you need to, you need to do this modification that is hard to do. i got one and i hate it.

do those batronix programmers work without mod? are they easy to use? windows xp?

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

yea, dont get a willem, they are cheep and all, but they are crap. In order to burn the chips that you need to, you need to do this modification that is hard to do. i got one and i hate it.

Oh noes. I got one a while back, but dont have eproms to test it yet. What kind of modification has to be done?

do those batronix programmers work without mod? are they easy to use? windows xp?

What chips are you trying to burn?

I am interested in buying a burner too

but always scared that it is too complicated to use

I know nothing about programming

Watch this Video of how to use the Batronix.

Really simple, like loading a rom into Stella.

You dont need to know how to programme (which is a good job because I can't program either!)

I am interested in buying a burner too

but always scared that it is too complicated to use

I know nothing about programming

Watch this Video of how to use the Batronix.

Really simple, like loading a rom into Stella.

You dont need to know how to programme (which is a good job because I can't program either!)

do you have a discount if we buy a Batronix? :twisted:

Oh noes. I got one a while back, but dont have eproms to test it yet. What kind of modification has to be done?

You need to replace the power supply area with this crazy new voltage thingy. I am not good with electronics, so i cant explain it. click on this link and read all about it, and email that DL guy for schematics if you are interested.

http://www.willem.org/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1198472930

What chips are you trying to burn?

2732A (21 Vpp)

That one looks a bit pricey for just casual use.

I have got this one http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/BX...programmer.html it's about $100 less than the one in your link, quality is fantastic, Interface is really easy to use, I have not burned a dud yet :D

Stay away from the Willams and the Top stuff, it is a lot of trouble, I started with a Willams and made one good rom after about 150 attempts and 3 weeks of my life wasted :mad:

there is a lot more advice in this topic

good luck

Thanks mimo... this looks like the burner for me! Great interface, easy to use, and $150 is very reasonable IMHO. Hell, a cuttle or Kroc cart would cost at least the same if I could ever find one for sale. I think I just found what I'm spending my Christmas money on.

Again... thanks for the recommendation and to all of you with your responses. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to pull the trigger on the BX32.

I must have erased the 4 2732 eproms i have like 20 times, and the Willem keeps giving me this error during programming. Hardware and eprom tests check out OK.

The only thing that's keeping me from buying the Batronix is that I can't see the Texas Instruments 27C64 in the supported devices list. Then again, I can't burn them on the Willem either :|

Yep,you are right the TI chip is not listed.

I remember finding a chip that was not listed (27c256) so took a gamble and used a setting for another brand, worked a treat.

I'm not saying that it will work for the 27c64, but as you say the willams wont program it either.

Maybe worth sending an email to tech support?

While I am thinking about it, this is a good place to get second hand Eproms.http://www.epromman.com/

but they are pulls so will be from a variety of manufacturers

I have two EPROM programmers of the "QuickByte II" variety which cost me about £10 each. They both work perfectly, and I've burned Atari ROMs on it with no problem and other similar ones; they support right up to 256Kb (64KB) ROMs with no problem, I think they may do 128KB, but I'm not sure.

Of course the problem is getting the ROM data onto the Commodore 64 or Amiga 500 in the first place. :) Luckily my Amiga can read and write C64 disks too.

Yes, I burn my Atari ROMs on a C64 or an A500. :) It's cheap and it works like a charm because all the technology is of the right generation.

What would be better or more compatible for 2-4K games, 2732 or 27C32 chips?

I went ahead and ordered the BX32. I have been trying to get an 7800 with DevOS going for too long and need to finish this project. I also got some boards with sockets from Al and I can't wait to play some protos and hacks on the ole heavy. Eventually I want to make a handful of repros for personal use.

I'll report success/failure when I get the burner :-P

OK, I just noticed that they can add support for other devices. I ask them if it was possible to add the TMS 27C64JL. We'll see how that goes.

Edited by cosmosiss