IGNORED

How rare is the white Lynx?

karri

Nice. :D What kind of paint did you use? Also, I've found that the fusion paint I used needs to dry for like 2 weeks without being handled or it will come off. (my XL didn't have hte problem... but the controller did.... I'll have to fix it and let it sit for a few weeks)

I found the paint spray at my local grocery store yesterday. It is matt white spray called Maston 221 manufactured in Veikkola in Finland. It cost 3 euros. You can spray the second layer within 15 minutes or after 7 days.

I have no previous experience about this paint. The only thing mentioned on the bottle is that it is friendly to the ozone layer.

--

Karri

(still desperately Googleing for that Indian tribe worshipping white Lynxes...)

looks pretty good. you should buy some defective units and experiment with different colors. red/blue/green/silver, etc. then post what results you get. then if you get a good one, you could sell the shell to somebody on here.

Thanks. I got a few extra shells and it is fun to play with them. The white Lynx is not the final design. My idea was to create the Dalmation Lynx and I just needed the white color on the bottom. There will still be black spots. I also intend to cut the display plastic in a certain way and apply a bit white paint there.

--

Karri

• 1 year later...

I know that this is one hell of a bump but just wanted to add that I too have a rare white Lynx II ;)

I have been experimenting on quite a few consoles including Lynx II's with automotive coatings. After much destruction - melting due to bonding agents and solvents being too strong and also with baking oven temps - my accomplice and I have succeeded! The finish is superb , tough but glossy and has bonded to the shells really well. White was our first experiment and other colours (and pics) will follow soon. I have picked up a number of Lynxes over the years where the outer shell near the battery compartment has become discoloured due to battery leakages but the internals were salvageable and working fine - these will become part of my new coloured line of refurbed consoles!

I have also found the process works really well with sun faded playstations and am also attempting it with a megadrive/genesis!

All internals including the screen are properly cleaned with isoprope and compressed air and then reassembled - if anyone is interested they will be for sale - but postage from oz isn't that cheap (about $30 US ) and the process is expensive. The units themselves though do look and feel great - so PM me and I'll see what I can do!