IGNORED

Brainstorming: Forbidden Forest 2600

Cybergoth

Hi there!

So this weeks question is: "How about doing Forbidden Forest for the 2600?"

I've been researching some material regarding it, here's what I have in hands so far:

Lemon64 link for the C64 version:

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=954

Atarimania link for the A8 version:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=2045

A youtube video of the C64 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxx6jvOAaJ4

Now, this game is mainly driven by the audio-visual experience it offers. Unless some artist here manages to bring the visuals down to the 2600, I think it doesn't make much sense to program it.

So once again I want to see some mockups! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Wow. This is my all-time favorite game on the C64. I can't think of another C64 game I logged more hours on.

Music aside (we'll come to that), the gameplay is comparitively simple. It's not much more than a horizontal shooter. Where it varies is that:

- The archer "rotates" as he turns left to right and, in rotating, creates the angle of his shot, ie, facing due left or right causes you to walk or shot due left or right. But stopping and turning to face the other direction causes your angle of shot to rotate "up" and "into" the screen.

- The forest is a big loop, so reaching the far left end has you reentering from the far left.

- The monsters each have different attack personalities as well as different weaknesses. (Damn spear-carrying skeletons!)

I think the basics could be captured somewhat easily. Even the graphics of the original aren't the highest of resolution, so there could be some consessions made and still have a game that looks somewhat close.

But the music....oh, the C64 SID chip was working overtime on this one. Very spooky organ music played throughout the game as a running theme and each monster had its own theme. The title track alone - if done right - would be astounding (and is possible as a similar musical challenge was heard in the opening track to A-VCS-Tec Challenge - a 2600 port of another Cosmi title).

Of all of the other projects pitched as of late, this is one I'd love to see and hear. And gameplay seems simple enough compared to others. An interesting proposal...

The FF tunes are using all three channels, so something gets always butchered in the automatic 3>2 channel mix. Some real musician might be able to make the most out of it or at least get jumpstarted by the converted data :)

Attached is the result of the 2nd tune, I hope it's the victory one you requested. I left out the third channel completely this time.

tsm.zip

I'd love to see a 2600 version of this! The gameplay may be quite simple but hitting an enemy in the later levels is quite challenging. I also like the creepy atmosphere of the game.

The victory tune sounds already very nice, the title-tune needs some work but is also quite ok. So the music shouldn't be a problem as it seems.

I ain't no programmer but i think porting forbidden forest to the 2600 is doable and it would make a fun to play 2600 game.

So go for it!! :D

Well, the music seems doable :)

<listens to title tune>

Astounding! If the tempo could be picked up a bit, it's surprisingly spot-on, regardless of the slight diff in pitch.

Attached is the result of the 2nd tune, I hope it's the victory one you requested.

Uncanny! That *is* the victory tune upon completing a level! Wow, not sure if you want to tackle the individual monster songs, because these two tunes are all that's needed as I see (hear) it. Incredible job!

Now we just need graphics, sound effects, and gameplay. :D