IGNORED

Build your own Atari 2600 boxes

Paul Sernine

Hello folks.

First of all, i don´t know if anything similar has been posted before but I think it's worth mentioning.

Some weeks ago, after reading this superb tutorial on how to create custom megadrive boxes, I started thinking about recreating replicas of original Atari 2600 boxes for all those spare carts that are missing one.

With this method, you can build almost perfect original game boxes. It´s fairly easy to do and the result is really good. You could actually frame someone into thinking that the game is brand new.

All the handywork is made at home, no need for comercial printing. Here are the materials.

- A color printer, and optionally a scanner.

- Photo paper for inkjet printers.

- Gross paper, at least 350 mg/m2.

- Aironfix (plastic transparent auto-adhesive cover).

- Cutter and scissors.

- Special glue for paper (I'm using 3M Photo Mount with superb results)

- Standar glue.

cajafrogger1.jpg

We'll start from designing the cartridge box. You can use these templates for The Gimp or build your own. The use of the gimp or other programs exceeds the reach of this tutorial. But let's just say that pasting and resizing the box scans from atariage will not get us a very good result. Some degree of editing is needed.

If you are not good at editing images, you can always print the ones that i have already done I'll be posting the final bmps ready to be printed once I get some free space on my FTP.

If you take a look at The Gimp Templates I´m using, you'll see there is a layer which contains the set of lines wich are going to be used as a guide for cutting and folding. They are printed at 50% of transparency, you can change that if the lines result too obvious in the printout.

The next step is printing the designs at the topmost quality of your printer, and in glossy photo paper if possible.

cajafrogger2.jpg

Next, we need to glue together the photo paper over the gross paper. I strongly recommend using 3M Photo mount or any other equivalent adhesive in spray, as prior tests I made with other types of glue where unsuccesfull. We do this procedure for the front and back parts.

cajafrogger3.jpg

Ok, next we cover the two glued surfaces with the plastic auto-adhesive cover. We use a flat object like a rule to push over the surface as we go, to make sure we leave no air bubbles between the paper and the cover.

cajafrogger4.jpg

Now we're all set to cut the paper. I like to use scissors, but in some cases the cutter is more convenient, it all dependes on the gross of the paper used and the thickness of the blade.

cajafrogger5.jpg

Once it's done, we are going to mark the lines where the material needs to be folded. We do this with the aid of a rule, and a round-borded object. Our goal is to create a depression without damaging the plastic cover, which will serve as a guide to bend the paper. Here im using the rounded side of the scissors, but any not sharp, round borded object will do just fine. I strongly recommend to do a previous test in any spare part of the paper.

The next step is to fold the front cover where needed, we repeat the above steps for the back cover as well.

cajafrogger6.jpg

It´s time to build the internal support that will keep the cartridge in place. There is also a template for that in the package. You can print this on a less gross paper if your printer shall accept it, or build it from scrach.

cajafrogger7.jpg

This frame must be glued to the back part of the box, and then the front part is glued by the sides to the back part. You can use standar glue for this, a pair of drops in the correct places will do the trick just fine.

cajafrogger8.jpg

Once the glue is dry, we only need to put the tabs in place and voila!, we obtain a nearly identical clone of an original Atari 2600 box. No more standalone cartridges stored on drawers, we can display our collection as it is meant to be.

cajafrogger9.jpg

cajafrogger12.jpg

This method can also be used to replace damaged original boxes. Using a scanner at 300ppi and the gimp template provided, it should be easy to achieve.

Another shot of the second cartbox i made, combat. Besides, an original (but very damaged) Desert Falcon box.

cajacombat1.jpg

Here's another shot were you can actually see the editing process the original atariage scan has undergone:

Frogger-front-scan.jpgfrogger-front-sernine.jpg

Backpart:

froggerbackscanqr1.jpgFrogger-back-sernine.jpg

Hope you find it usefull. :)

PD: This tutorial is based on Lord Hiryu's Build your own sega megadrive boxes (in spanish)

PD2: I´m using the metric system for measures. The gross of the paper in Europe is measured in mg/m2, if you don´t know which kind of paper to choose, try using an original 2600 box as reference. You should use the paper which aproximates best. Also take into acount that the photo paper and the plastic cover provides extrar thikness no the final result.

PD3: This project would have never been possible without the Astonishing carts database on Atariage, thanks a lot

Downloads

Combat:

combatpreviewoo7.png

Frogger:

froggerpreviewpa7.png

Solaris:

solarispreviewkv8.png

Rampage: (no download yet)

rampagepreviewbz4.png

Edited by Paul Sernine
  • Like 5

The dark side will flood the market soon with fake boxes........... :(

BTW: That´s really good work........ :D

Just think!!! If someone seals them up....some poor fool will buy it!!! :o

They may even leave the cart out of it....and he'll never know, because he'll never open it!!

I will sell my collection right now!

Thanks for the information. The box looks great and it would be cool to make special boxes for hacks and home brews but I for one hope we don't get some one who will make fake boxes for some loose rare games and try to sell them on Ebay for some big bucks and rip off a collector. You know its going to happen sooner or later and the thought of it makes me sad.

:cool: :ponder: :???:

Thanks for the information. The box looks great and it would be cool to make special boxes for hacks and home brews but I for one hope we don't get some one who will make fake boxes for some loose rare games and try to sell them on Ebay for some big bucks and rip off a collector. You know its going to happen sooner or later and the thought of it makes me sad.

I only buy loose carts. :D

There is my problem, I only buy boxed copies. The only loose games I buy are Hacks & Homebrews so I feel that very soon I will get ripped off buy someone with a state of the art printer & scanner.

:sad: :ponder: :skull:

There is my problem, I only buy boxed copies. The only loose games I buy are Hacks & Homebrews so I feel that very soon I will get ripped off buy someone with a state of the art printer & scanner.

:sad: :ponder: :skull:

ME TOO..... :skull:

and collectors sick of fake empty boxes soon drive up the price of loose carts making them more desireable and thus my mostly loose-cart collection (cause I collect to play whenever possible,) becomes more valuable than all the fancy 'shrinkytywrapped' collections :-P

YEEAAAA!!!

and collectors sick of fake empty boxes soon drive up the price of loose carts making them more desireable and thus my mostly loose-cart collection (cause I collect to play whenever possible,) becomes more valuable than all the fancy 'shrinkytywrapped' collections :-P

YEEAAAA!!!

NOOOOOOO....... :D

(I don´t collect for making money one day)

but I for one hope we don't get some one who will make fake boxes for some loose rare games and try to sell them on Ebay for some big bucks and rip off a collector. You know its going to happen sooner or later and the thought of it makes me sad.

I can't believe you're seriously thinking about someone selling replicated boxes as if it were original.

When I said "You could actually frame someone into thinking that the game is brand new" I was refering to the game as beeing displayed on a shelf, when you take a closer look and grab it in your hand, you instantly notice it´s not a original box. The original ones didn't have plastic covers.

If someone wants to place a photo of a faked box on ebay, he doesn't need to go through all this trouble. It is simple enought to figure it out how to do it, without the need of any tutorials.

I usually buy loose carts, and when I can find boxed ones, the casing is usually in pretty bad shape. That's the reason why I made this tutorial, to replace damaged or missing boxes, I'm sure it will be used for that alone.

I was planning to release the gimp sources and the final bmp's, for people to print their own boxes, but if anyone finds it inappropriate please say so, I wouldn't want to be inconvenient ;)

the Parker Frogger needs to be done like a board game box (in two parts), as the Atari style box from parker came later (Frogger 2, Gyruss, Star Wars Arcade etc...)

I was unnaware of that. I owned an original Parker Frogger but it was many years ago.

In fact I had to figure out the side parts, as I was unnable to find a single photo of the box.

the Parker Frogger needs to be done like a board game box (in two parts), as the Atari style box from parker came later (Frogger 2, Gyruss, Star Wars Arcade etc...)

I was unnaware of that. I owned an original Parker Frogger but it was many years ago.

In fact I had to figure out the side parts, as I was unnable to find a single photo of the box.

I have all of my original boxes packed away somewhere...I'm pretty sure I could find them, though. I believe I know where they are. If I can find them, I'll post some pics of that box for you.

That is excellent, I'm gonna use that. One thing though, the Parker Frogger needs to be done like a board game box (in two parts), as the Atari style box from parker came later (Frogger 2, Gyruss, Star Wars Arcade etc...)

At one time, I had a French/Canadian Gyruss that was in a two part box. Surprised me :)

For the C64, I have two or three Star Wars in a one-piece box but just a couple months ago got a two-piece box.

Personally, I like the two piece boxes better - they're much stronger.

but I for one hope we don't get some one who will make fake boxes for some loose rare games and try to sell them on Ebay for some big bucks and rip off a collector. You know its going to happen sooner or later and the thought of it makes me sad.

I can't believe you're seriously thinking about someone selling replicated boxes as if it were original.

When I said "You could actually frame someone into thinking that the game is brand new" I was refering to the game as beeing displayed on a shelf, when you take a closer look and grab it in your hand, you instantly notice it´s not a original box. The original ones didn't have plastic covers.

If someone wants to place a photo of a faked box on ebay, he doesn't need to go through all this trouble. It is simple enought to figure it out how to do it, without the need of any tutorials.

I usually buy loose carts, and when I can find boxed ones, the casing is usually in pretty bad shape. That's the reason why I made this tutorial, to replace damaged or missing boxes, I'm sure it will be used for that alone.

I was planning to release the gimp sources and the final bmp's, for people to print their own boxes, but if anyone finds it inappropriate please say so, I wouldn't want to be inconvenient ;)

In my opinion, it's very much on par with publishing a label creation tool or instructions on how to put a ROM image into an actual game cartridge.

Realistically, if I wanted to create fraudulent Atari boxes or games I could (eventually) do it without any such publications and I ain't exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Stuff like this just makes the vintage gaming scene more enjoyable for people as it makes another facet of the hobby more readily accesible. If people like me can have to tools available to play all of our games on actual cartridges, then I say the whackos, er, I mean differently minded collectors should be able to make their own boxes.

For the C64, I have two or three Star Wars in a one-piece box but just a couple months ago got a two-piece box.

I assume Canadian for the two piece? The only Star Wars two piecers I've seen have been English/French versions, the English only is the flap at the top variety.

First of all, I don't collect CIB games, just stick to loose carts. Having said that, I would think that it would be pretty easy to tell if a game you were thinking of purchasing is a real or a fake box. Unless the real boxes have been kept in an airtight room with no light, there's bound to be some kind of wear on a real box. 20-30 years of being "out there" has to do something to them, right? So, if you're on Ebay and you see a bright, shiny Combat CIB, I would think that it would be easy to tell that the box was a fake.

I could be completely wrong about this all, too. If you're concerned, my best advice is to stay away from Ebay and only deal with folks here. AA members tend to take their reputation a lot more seriously than the average Joe on Ebay. All my dealings with AA members have been outstanding, and for that reason alone, I rarely even look at Ebay anymore. :)