IGNORED

Opcode Games is back!

Pixelboy

Hello AA people!

Most of you here know that we were never really gone, but now we're officially back! Our official web site has been updated (link is in my signature below), and I invite you all to check out my latest blog entry!

The even bigger news is that Road Fighter is now officially released and available for purchase! Send your order directly to Eduardo (at eduardo@opcodegames.com) and you will receive pricing and shipping information as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that our supply of Road Fighter carts is limited right now so we may have trouble meeting demand initially.

It's good to be back! :D

Awesome glad to see you back in action guys! :)

Does this mean i could order a copy of Space Invaders Collection as well?

That's a good question. I'm not actually sure if Eduardo has any left to sell. However, I do have an extra box and an extra manual here, which I plan to mail to Eduardo later this week. With that, he will have at least one copy of S.I.C. to sell once he assembles a cartridge and slaps a label on it.

So I suggest you place your order, and see what happens. I can make no promises on my end. :)

How would you like to be able to replace the main circuit board inside your ColecoVision console with an upgraded version which offers better graphics and sounds, while still retaining full backward compatibility with all existing games? We haven't even given a name to this new project yet"

Isn't that what you call a "Sega Master System" then? ;)

How would you like to be able to replace the main circuit board inside your ColecoVision console with an upgraded version which offers better graphics and sounds, while still retaining full backward compatibility with all existing games? We haven't even given a name to this new project yet"

Isn't that what you call a "Sega Master System" then? ;)

It's more MSX than SMS. :)

classicman = Eduardo. :)

More or less. I say it's more MSX because our current plans involve using the V9958 graphic chip and the Konami SCC sound chip (or something similar) which were used in MSX computers.

Fair enough. Although I believe only later machines (post-1987) used the K051649 (SCC) as an additional sound chip. Earlier machines solely relied on the AY-3-8910 (or equivalent YM2149/SN76489), the same sound chip used in the Intellivision, Vectrex, Atari ST, and Master System. ;)

Either way, not be a pain in the ass, but I can't help but wonder what the point of all this is. Not content (or technically unable) to simply port MSX games to the stock ColecoVision, you're basically upgrading the video and sound chips to MSX equivalents and turning the ColecoVision into another MSX with the intent of porting later period MSX games (Metal Gear, etc.) to it.

Is that pretty much the idea? :?:

That's fine, except for the fact that you're not so much upgrading the ColecoVision as completely replacing it with a different system. It's an interesting idea, and the games look nice, but you'd be hard pressed to call these new projects "ColecoVision games".

More or less. I say it's more MSX because our current plans involve using the V9958 graphic chip and the Konami SCC sound chip (or something similar) which were used in MSX computers.

Fair enough. Although I believe only later machines (post-1987) used the K051649 (SCC) as an additional sound chip. Earlier machines solely relied on the AY-3-8910 (or equivalent YM2149/SN76489), the same sound chip used in the Intellivision, Vectrex, Atari ST, and Master System. ;)

Either way, not be a pain in the ass, but I can't help but wonder what the point of all this is. Not content (or technically unable) to simply port MSX games to the stock ColecoVision, you're basically upgrading the video and sound chips to MSX equivalents and turning the ColecoVision into another MSX with the intent of porting later period MSX games (Metal Gear, etc.) to it.

That's one way to see it. Our take on the issue is that by replacing the PCB with something newer, we can fix some of the basic problems of the aging console (RF output problems, power switch problems, etc.) and offering modern TV output options. Replacing the TMS9928 with the V9958 is simply a question of using what's available on the market today, with respect to backward compatibility with legacy CV games (new TMS9928 chips are too hard to find these days), and since we're using the V9958, we might as well keep the doors open for using that chip's more advanced features. As for the new sound chips, that's always been Eduardo's pet project from the very beginning. The PCB upgrade as a whole is our way of fixing and upgrading everything on the CV without having to make a plastic enclosure for the hardware.

That's fine, except for the fact that you're not so much upgrading the ColecoVision as completely replacing it with a different system. It's an interesting idea, and the games look nice, but you'd be hard pressed to call these new projects "ColecoVision games".

I would actually tend to agree with you personally, but as long as the system is fully backward-compatible with all legacy software, you can't really call it a "different system". Also, we only have one or two projects that will use the advanced features offered by this new PCB, the rest (like Goonies, Knightmare, King's Valley, etc.) only require 16K of RAM to run, so those can still be called ColecoVision games from a technical standpoint.

Hi guys!

First of all, people who were in my wait list for Road Fighter will have priority. Plans are to ship 10~20 copies a week, so please be patient.

About Space Invaders Collection, it's currently sold out, and I have delayed plans to re-release it. I could do so in the future, but nothing has been decided so far. The problem is that we are out of manuals...

About the expansion/new PCB, whatever we end up calling it/doing, my plans are to use the YM2151 for sound, not the Konami SCC. Though the SCC is easier to use, and a natural evolution of the CV PSG sound chip, it is very hard to find, availability is really limited. In the other hand, the YM2151, or OPM, is more powerful and was used in almost every arcade game from the second half of the 80s. If you want a demonstration of this chip, listen to the sound of the arcade version of Contra, which uses this chip exclusively.

About the V9958, we are using it not because we want MSX compatibility, but because it is TMS9928 compatible. The SMS was also TMS9928 compatible, but its VDP is far more difficult to find. Besides, we are probably going to use the V9958 on a configuration which is quite different of a regular MSX computers.

And why a new PCB instead an expansion module? Because a module would require a new plastic case, which would be very expensive. With a new PCB we can use the stock CV case, while staying 100% CV compatible (or almost) and still allowing new games. Again, I understand some people cannot see a good reason for expanding a classic system, and indeed the reasons are quite subjective. Many hardcore Star Trek fans cannot understand why they are doing a new version of the original series, while other cannot wait for it. It’s hard to make everybody happy.

However I believe a new PCB with high quality audio and video outputs, using more modern electronics (so hopefully more reliable) is a good enough reason to guarantee a purchase. And if the price is right, I think it would be a good alternative for the stock CV not just for hardcore collectors but also for the more casual players too...

Eduardo

• 2 weeks later...
However I believe a new PCB with high quality audio and video outputs, using more modern electronics (so hopefully more reliable) is a good enough reason to guarantee a purchase. And if the price is right, I think it would be a good alternative for the stock CV not just for hardcore collectors but also for the more casual players too...

Eduardo

I actually think the new PCB idea is pretty brilliant.

While I have never had any problems with the CV systems I have, they are not getting any younger. Places like eCOLECO may be around now, but maybe not forever. If the original board goes bad, I may be SOL. With a replacement, I can pack the original PCB away for safekeeping, and be able to take advantage of the features of a new board. That, and not having one more peripheral device to put on display with the rest of my collection! (Any more collectibles and I'll be looking for a new house for more room!)

I also like the idea of the modern video/audio outpouts without having to modify the existing system with something like 8bitDomain produces.

I really hope this new project becomes a reality.

Eduardo

I actually think the new PCB idea is pretty brilliant.

While I have never had any problems with the CV systems I have, they are not getting any younger. Places like eCOLECO may be around now, but maybe not forever. If the original board goes bad, I may be SOL. With a replacement, I can pack the original PCB away for safekeeping, and be able to take advantage of the features of a new board. That, and not having one more peripheral device to put on display with the rest of my collection! (Any more collectibles and I'll be looking for a new house for more room!)

I also like the idea of the modern video/audio outpouts without having to modify the existing system with something like 8bitDomain produces.

I second these thoughts entirely. To be able to completely reinvigorate the CV through new internals would be incredible. I sincerely hope that this can become a reality.

The even bigger news is that Road Fighter is now officially released and available for purchase! Send your order directly to Eduardo (at eduardo@opcodegames.com) and you will receive pricing and shipping information as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that our supply of Road Fighter carts is limited right now so we may have trouble meeting demand initially.

I sent an email to Eduardo on Feb. 2nd about Road Fighter, and haven't heard back yet... should I be more patient? :)

Main thing is, I don't even know the regular price for Road Fighter (any reason you don't just post it here?) so it's hard to bid intelligently on the Road Fighters showing up on eBay...

I sent an email to Eduardo on Feb. 2nd about Road Fighter, and haven't heard back yet... should I be more patient? :)

Main thing is, I don't even know the regular price for Road Fighter (any reason you don't just post it here?) so it's hard to bid intelligently on the Road Fighters showing up on eBay...

We are having some technical problems with the Opcode Games website, which includes email. That's why I haven't replied some of you yet. Please be patient and you should receive an answer by next week at most. And as Pixelboy said we have limited production capabilities right now, so that is another problem. Finally, the eBay offerings are meant for non-AtariAge people, so if I was you I would wait.

And once all pre-orders have been served, I am planning a small tournament, so stay tuned. :)

About Space Invaders Collection, please be patient guys. It will get re-released eventually. It's more of a matter of cash flow for us now .

Eduardo

Thanks to all involved in the Road Fighters release.Got mine yesterday and its a hoot to play.

I am glad that you got your copy. My last two weeks were really busy, as I had a project to finish that required me to work day and night. Hope to resume RF sales this week.

I am going to try to ship at least 10 to 20 more copies this week. I know you guys have been very patient already, but please understand I must build all those cartridges and boxes myself, so that is why it takes so long sometimes. Rest assured that in the end everybody is going to receive their copies. :)

Eduardo