IGNORED

2600: Unported 1983 Arcades Part I (A-C)

Cybergoth

Hi there!

Since I'm always looking for old Arcades that could make a cool 2600 project, I thought it might be even more fun to discuss such projects in the public forum here. I have compiled a first batch of interesting looking choices from 1983:

A. D. 2083		  Midcoin
Ambush			  Nippon Amuse Co-Ltd
Arabian			 Sun Electronics
Aztarac			 Centuri
Battle Cruiser M-12 Sigma Enterprises Inc.
Blaster			 Williams
Bongo			   Jetsoft
Boomer Rang'r	   Data East Corporation
Car Jamboree		Omori Electric Co., Ltd.
Cavelon			 Jetsoft
Chack'n Pop		 Taito Corporation
Chameleon		   Jaleco
Change Lanes		Taito Corporation
Cluster Buster	  Data East Corporation
Commando			Sega

Which of these look doable, interesting and/or fun enough to make it a worthy addition to the VCS library?

Arabian is pretty much the only one I have much interest in out of that bunch.

Uihjah, that is a cool game indeed! I just tried 5 coins for almost half an hour of fun :)

This is from the same company that also made Kangaroo, no? Is it just 4 screens? I saw a princess to rescue on the 4th, but couldn't make it up to her yet.

Arabian looks very tricky to pull off, though: player, 4+ freely moving enemies, plus 7 letters to collect. Plus platforms/vines/ladders.

EDIT: The way the enemies combine to form a super enemy is a really cool idea; one that I've been trying to figure out how to do on a 2600 platformer for a while now. :)

Edited by vdub_bobby

This is from the same company that also made Kangaroo, no? Is it just 4 screens? I saw a princess to rescue on the 4th, but couldn't make it up to her yet.

Sun Electronics made the original versions of both I believe (Atari did the domestic release here). It's been a while since I've played it for any length of time. As best I remember there are only the 4 screens. I seem to recall it was on the TV show Starcade quite a bit.

How do you play Ambush? I can't figure out how to take off. :?

So I tried another 5 coins with that one and figured it out. You just have to press button 2 to accelerate until your speed hits 300 miles, staying off the borders left and right while you're doing so and then you can take of with pulling the joystick.

Still, wasn't really worth it, as the game doesn't offer much, it's a rather lame Afterburner-in-Space game.

I couldn't find the arcade original of Car Jamboree, but I just tried the MSX port -- an arena-style, demolition derby game -- and it actually seems like it could be a great fit for the 2600, if the arcade version is along the same lines.

It sounds like being the same game as the arcade. I just gave it another 5 coins and thought it is somewhat entertaining, but also a bit limited in depth. I guess it has the usual "multiplayer effect" and probably would be a real blast with 4 real people playing simultaneous :)

I couldn't find the arcade original of Car Jamboree, but I just tried the MSX port -- an arena-style, demolition derby game -- and it actually seems like it could be a great fit for the 2600, if the arcade version is along the same lines.

It sounds like being the same game as the arcade. I just gave it another 5 coins and thought it is somewhat entertaining, but also a bit limited in depth. I guess it has the usual "multiplayer effect" and probably would be a real blast with 4 real people playing simultaneous :)

The "multiplayer effect", exactly! I think it could be a great four-player simultaneous paddle game, perfect for parties. Does the 2600 have any really good demolition-derby style games? Dodge 'Em is fun, but obviously a very different sort of beast.

I do agree that Car Jamboree is a bit limited in depth. Then again, there have been some ports that have improved on the original arcade games, and there's certainly no reason that an ambitious developer couldn't add a few bells and whistles, whether it be more varied terrain, bonus items, or whatever else.

(Hint, hint! ;) I can't develop the game myself, but I'd be happy to write the music...)

• 4 weeks later...

Sun Electronics made the original versions of both I believe (Atari did the domestic release here). It's been a while since I've played it for any length of time. As best I remember there are only the 4 screens. I seem to recall it was on the TV show Starcade quite a bit.

Atari was supposed to do a port of Arabian, but I have no idea if the project was actually assigned or if any work on it was ever done.