IGNORED

Movie games suck!

Dauber

In today's RedEye, which is the Chicago Tribune's free daily newspaper, there's a very small write-up about how video games based on movie suck and always have sucked. At the beginning of the article is a picture of the E.T. game box with a sentence or two about the game. Interestingly, no mention of the horrible game play; just a knock on the blobbish graphics.

Most movie games on the 2600 are good (Krull, E.T., Alien, The Star Wars games, Raiders of the Lost Ark...) and even Halloween and TCM are at least halfway decent.

The only one that really sucks is Porky's.

But most movie games on other Consoles do indeed suck (Street Fighter - The Movie or Stargate (SNES) are good examples).

Red Eye? :ponder:

BTW, I haven't played it for years, but my friends and I really enjoyed Porky's back in the day. I remember playing that a lot before school after we were worn out by Decathlon. It seemed like one of the most challenging games any of us had at the time.

I think most movie games on the 2600 are pretty good.

Edited by Mirage1972

I don't care what they say, I like the way "Alien" from 20th Century fox play's.

:roll: :roll: :cool:

I don't care what they say, I like the way "Alien" from 20th Century fox play's.

:roll: :roll: :cool:

I like "The Empire Strikes Back"!

hells yes! i double agree

Since when does a critics opinion mean anything anyway!

Critic opinions mean nothing. But it gives the rest of us an opportunity to give *our* opinions! :P

Empire Strikes Back <-personal favorite

Star Wars

E.T.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

(and Porkys isn't that bad :ponder:)

Don't care much for Alien, though. Doesn't exactly capture the feel of the movie.

There have been plenty of good games based on movies. The Star Wars franchise has had lots of great games, for example, and the modern Lord of the Rings games are pretty good. Alien vs. Predator on the Jaguar and PCs were great. Some Harry Potter games are decent. I think the problem with quality occurs when companies try to rely on the popularity of the license to sell the game. I'm sure there are many other modern games based on movies that are decent. I think the premise of the article is on pretty shaky ground :-).

Does "Splatterhouse" count?

I mean, it's pretty much the Friday the 13th game. I thought the TG16 version was a pretty good translation.

Peace

I think that game was more INSPIRED BY the Friday The 13th movies than an actual translation of any of them. The Exidy arcade videogame Star Fire was also an "inspired by" type of game, this one by Star Wars. Same thing with the Intellivision games Space Battle (Battlestar Galactica) and Star Strike (both Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica).

Well, in Space Battle's case, it almost became Battlestar Galactica.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

Since when does a critics opinion mean anything anyway!

Critic opinions mean nothing. But it gives the rest of us an opportunity to give *our* opinions! :P

Empire Strikes Back <-personal favorite

Star Wars

E.T.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

(and Porkys isn't that bad :ponder:)

Don't care much for Alien, though. Doesn't exactly capture the feel of the movie.

Yep,i really believe one should test things for themselves.Like when someone says the new movie that just came at the theatres sucks,I,ve seen people turn around at the theatres just because someone said the movie sucks,SILLY!!!!!!!!.Later you see the movie and its the best movie you've ever seen.Everyone has different tastes.Opinions are good for food of thought,i mean we are classic gaming fans,and its good to have opinions,to make conversation.But one shouldnt make life decisions on other peoples opinions,and for games also.Usually,the games that are said to be crap by most,end up being my favorites.I think all games have their charm.

Edited by Rik

Batman on both the NES and original Gameboy are actually really good games, both of which follow the plot of the movie where the Joker has that long gun I forget the name of at the moment.

As per the Atari 2600, I'm not actually that impressed with the majority of the movie based games, though there are a few that seem decent enough, like Gremlins, and others that aren't a total waste of kilobytes.

E.T. is the one I notice a lot of people really don't like, but I think it's hard to like simply because there's so much going on in the game that doesn't make sense without a good understanding of how the game works. Knowing how the game works makes it a little better.

I think sucky movie games didn't officially start until the NES hit the scene for example:

Back to the Future

Rambo

Goonies

Friday the 13th

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Top Gun

Platoon

Days of Thunder

Total Recall

and the list goes on.....

I would agree with everything except Goonies and Top Gun. Those were both prettygood, IMHO

I think sucky movie games didn't officially start until the NES hit the scene for example:

Back to the Future

Rambo

Goonies

Friday the 13th

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Top Gun

Platoon

Days of Thunder

Total Recall

and the list goes on.....

I would agree with everything except Goonies and Top Gun. Those were both prettygood, IMHO

Oh okay we can take Goonies of the list and go with Dick Tracy instead :D

This topic is actually of great interest to me as it is the subject of my doctoral dissertation. I go from the beginning days of video games all the way to 2005, and of course Atari features quite prominently in the first chapter. I should hopefully have the final product done later this year; it's been quite an adventure trying to investigate this particular area of video games.

This topic is actually of great interest to me as it is the subject of my doctoral dissertation. I go from the beginning days of video games all the way to 2005, and of course Atari features quite prominently in the first chapter. I should hopefully have the final product done later this year; it's been quite an adventure trying to investigate this particular area of video games.

In what area are you going for a doctorate and how does the history of video games fit in?

BTW -- the write-up was basically just a top-ten list of bad movie games. I particularly remember Blues Brothers and Moonwalker being on the list. I'll try to remember to type the article here if my wife didn't throw the paper out yet...

Conversely, how many TV games were there on the 2600. I can only think of MASH, and hte A Team and Dukes of Hazzard protos.

Inky -- don't forget this one (upper-left):

games4.jpg

Edited by Dauber