IGNORED

Atari 2600 joystick on Dreamcast

doctorclu

I *LOVE* Atari800DC on the Dreamcast, and use the 5200 mode for the 5200 High Score Thread contests.

Always thought it would be cool to have a regular Atari 2600 on the Dreamcast for this though, so I started looking around. I opened up the typical Dreamcast joystick...

post-4709-1202750069_thumb.jpg

And just looked at that. Like a good game system, the Dreamcast joystick is really minimal. And strangely, one of the most responsive Dreamcast sticks I have found yet. But this was not useable to me (readily) for hacking. At least not as readily as this one...

post-4709-1202750085_thumb.jpg

A Performance "Astropad". I was not impressed with this as a controller, but opening it up was a wealth of wires, basic pads, etc. :D Eventually I got to looking the D-Pad on this controller and realized that it was just a midget version of the circuit board in the 2600 controller:

post-4709-1202751418_thumb.jpg

So I worked on this, connecting the Atari 2600 stick to this D-Pad was almost wire for wire. :D And then I put the Dreamcast Astropad controller and the Atari 2600 controller together...

post-4709-1202751426_thumb.jpg

... it was a fun thing to do. Though I think I will take another Astropad, or with this one, just add a nine pin port to connect Atari 2600 joysticks up directly to the controller itself, or put the Astropad into a base and let the controller connect to that.

But it is nice to know one way to connect an Atari 2600 joystick to a Dreamcast.

Edited by doctorclu

Looks like the original Xbox controller with an erection. Still, if you've got to have a 2600 joystick and access to all the buttons on a standard Dreamcast pad, that's a pretty good way to go.

LOL.... kinda does doesn't it?

Here are the updates of my tinkering... a more sterdy Atari 2600/Dreamcast controller combo, and one where I made where I can plug up a 2600 stick to the Dreamcast controller... mostly. I had to had an additional ground wire for the fire button, but in the end it worked. :D

post-4709-1203206676_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1203206697_thumb.jpg