IGNORED

Adventure Country (Adventure hack)

accousticguitar

Based on Nukey Shay's 8K Adventure ASM. Thanks! :)

I call this Adventure Country. The map is a 9 x 9 grid making 81 rooms plus 10 rooms in the castles for 91 rooms total in the game. The grid is divided into 9 squares containing 9 rooms each with a unique color. If you go off the grid to the right, you move to the left side of the grid and visa versa. If you go off the grid moving up, you move to the bottom of the grid and visa versa.

Adcntry2.bin

Edited by accousticguitar

It's a nice start, i like the forest-playfields but for my taste you have to walk through too many empty areas.

That was kind of the feeling I got about the whole game. It's more or less a boring search of a grid. I'm not sure what to do about it though.

And how about changing the dragons into something else? Maybe bears...?

I haven't learned how to change sprites yet. :)

• 1 month later...

The GFX sprites are all tagged in the assembly. If you don't like working with hex values, you can just use binary values instead. Where it says .byte $00 for example, change it to .byte %00000000 instead ($ = hex, % = binary, neither = decimal) and then use 1's in the 8-digit %number where you want pixels to go. No need to use HOM at all. The only thing that Adventure requires for all sprite bitmaps is that no blank lines are used in any of them (a blank line signifies that it's the end of that bitmap...and the kernal bumps the counter for the next frame). That's why there's all those dashes and dots mixed in with WR's sprite.

Edited by Nukey Shay

The GFX sprites are all tagged in the assembly. If you don't like working with hex values, you can just use binary values instead. Where it says .byte $00 for example, change it to .byte %00000000 instead ($ = hex, % = binary, neither = decimal) and then use 1's in the 8-digit %number where you want pixels to go. No need to use HOM at all. The only thing that Adventure requires for all sprite bitmaps is that no blank lines are used in any of them (a blank line signifies that it's the end of that bitmap...and the kernal bumps the counter for the next frame). That's why there's all those dashes and dots mixed in with WR's sprite.

I used hex values when designing the rooms; I just don't know how they work with sprites. I don't know how binary values work with sprites either. I would probably try working with hex values first since I am a little more familiar with them. Concerning this hack, it was worth trying, but I wasn't happy with how it worked out. I have another idea for a general maze design, but it will be a while before I can work on it. I have some college classes to work on and firewood season is fast approaching as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm not quite sure what changes you made to the hack, but I seem to like it more than the original. I like some of the screens like the ones with the lake (that was brilliant), and the different types of trees you came up with. Some were just too abstract I think, but it didn't turn out that bad. Just think of the type of detail you could get if you doubled the vertical resolution.

I think this hack's best quality is the open-endedness of it. It's hard to find items, yet the openness of the screens balance this out. I would really like to see what you can do with this using Nukey's high-res bitmap code. :)

I would really like to see what you can do with this using Nukey's high-res bitmap code. :)

You have high hopes, my friend. I can't even keep the graphics from crossing page boundaries. :)

In general, I tried to make the graphics more original; bears instead of dragons, a bluebird instead of a bat, houses instead of castles, different shapes for the chalice, sword, and bridge, no more corridors, and I thinned out some of the trees for easier navigation.