IGNORED

Bomb Jack

Hi all! So we're finally at the news stage :) I'm happy to see that the initial reaction to the preview is positive as we've all been working hard on it :) I've just read through the news update on Kaz's site. The preview video is quite short which is good for a taster so that the final game will still have a lot to discover! All of the levels are already complete and playable. So as you can see the resulting game has taken shape into a mixture of the arcade and C64.

To translate some of the info from Kaz..

All of the graphics have been created as acurately as possible from the arcade original although Krzysztof prefered the look of the C64 sprites and so modified them himself to use in the game. It uses Tebe's soft sprite engine which has the additional player overlays. My inital conception was with a multiplex engine similar to Crownland (I'll post one of my tests here shortly to demonstrate the sprites I created which are now dropped). Krzysztof wanted to develop the soft sprite approach in preference to multiplexing with inherent flicker which has turned out much better than expected. I was concered in early planning with the software sprites about the usual half charset difficulties with the extensive background graphics and colour register use. many months have been spent working on optimising this and the utility which you can see on Kaz's news page which VEGA and TEBE developed assists in the final engine. VEGA has also created another utility to create the sprite data from bmp's :) The strict limitations have been that only 85 chars could be used in the background graphics per font, COLBAK and PF0 is fixed to black and red on all screens. The dli's had to be only row changes also.. so much work had to be undertaken to ensure that the methods employed in the engine now didn't restrict the final results. This worked out ok in the end with the only real difference being that the colour usage had to be re-thought with a colour dropped. Miker has done a great job creating the music and sound fx. Before I was involved in this joint project, I was working on converting the arcade music exactly. I ripped the music and sound fx from the MAME roms and then manually worked out the notation in midi ready to start working in RMT. In our discussions, Miker agreed that it'd be good to adopt a mix of 2 of the arcade music tracks with the songs that he had created. Miker worked on the arcade music from an existing midi and recognised that the level 2 music was in fact Lady Madonna by the Beatles which I hadn't noticed! I sent some initial incomplete midi files but as I was busy with the rest of the stuff in the game and Miker is the music guy I didn't get further involved in that side!

I'll post some futher info and test files later today

Tezz ;)

Edited by Tezz

:D will the PC tools available at some stage? is the sprite engine usable for other games? or hardly optimised for bomb jack (f.e. like embedded data).

For Beyond Evil could be usefull as Bomb Jack is static pic as well... ;)

can't wait to gather more information... :D

Hi Heaven, yes the tools will be available for everyone, the engine is pretty much as in Tebe's MADS examples with optimisation made for the game. I think you'll find the tools useful developing Beyond Evil, I like your isometric idea :)

Thanks for all the comments! I've been reading the comments on Kaz's site also. so, a little further on the earlier info.. things are progressing along well towards completion, Vega is working on implementing more game core procedures and ironing things out along the way. On a cosmetic note, I think we have now descided on which of the high score layouts to run with, there have been several ideas I've trialed after feedback. it will be amongst the later implementations when the game itself is nearing completion. Once the game is relatively complete there will be some further refinements made to the game and the good news is that one of these will be possibly now the implementation of multiplexing also :)

Miker worked on the arcade music from an existing midi and recognised that the level 2 music was in fact Lady Madonna by the Beatles which I hadn't noticed!

LOL.

It took almost 25 years to find out? :D

:D Yea! :ponder: In my defence it does have a slightly different arrangement!

The new Jean Michel Jarre music is wonderful and better then original arcades one.

But, I don't know, when we convert games shouldn't we keep original versions?

IMO, if the opportunity exists to upstage the original in gameplay, graphics, music or whatever, then it should be taken.

Just taken a look at the video and it looks very nice so far; there seems to be some generous collision detection going on there too, which is better still for something like this. =-)
actually so far it's just the collecting items, the opponents collision detection is next up

The new Jean Michel Jarre music is wonderful and better then original arcades one.

IMO, if the opportunity exists to upstage the original in gameplay, graphics, music or whatever, then it should be taken.

Upgrading is one thing, but the new track isn't similar in style at all to the original music. It seems kind of odd to try to replicate the original's gameplay and graphics as much as possible and then radically rewrite the music in a completely different style. Poor design choice IMO. :ponder:

Otherwise, looks fantastic! :D

Upgrading is one thing, but the new track isn't similar in style at all to the original music. It seems kind of odd to try to replicate the original's gameplay and graphics as much as possible and then radically rewrite the music in a completely different style. Poor design choice IMO. :ponder:

Otherwise, looks fantastic! :D

Hi there, the reason for this is not poor planning but due to the fact that two projects were joined together. I was recreating the arcade precisely and Vega was porting the C64 and so we made a joint venture and the result now is a mix of the two. As mentioned earlier I was working on converting all the arcade music exactly and have worked out all the notation but the concensus between everyone when this project was formed was in preference to Mikers music and to include a couple of the arcade music which Miker has also created. It's all good and fits well with the game. The Jarre tune on level 1 and the title music is converted from Mark Cooksey's C64 but the rest of the music that is included has been created from scratch totally by Miker. One original idea I had was to select "Arcade music" or "Atari music" from the title screen but I think the final music that Miker has created is great. Edited by Tezz