IGNORED

Mini-Cade (Vectrex)

EricDeLee

After looking at this page:

http://www.vectrexnews.com/articles/feature_minicade.html

How hard would it be to re-create this? I think the timing board is the the thing that would be hard to figure out. Do any of you arcade gurus know if there is a PCB on the market that woould allow for something like this?

From reading everything... it looks as though you simply paid for time. It says that there were no limits on lives or extra men per game. But I think the game would play just like normal... otherwise they would have had to reprogram the games to allow extra lives. What I mean is: If the game starts with 3 lives and you lose all three within 30 seconds, you can continue to play again. It looks as though they are simply blocking the controls from working until you put in a quarter.

It also looks like you could not change games. If I build one it would need a multi cart or something in it. I think that it would just add more of an arcade element to the vectrex... that is why I am thinking about building one. It doesn't look like the marquee lights up... I think I would have to do something about that. LOL

Anyways... if you know of a PCB that does that... or think it is a feasable project... let me know.

Hey, cool. I was thinking of building a miniature standup arcade cabinet around my Vectrex just so I'd have a reasonably presentable place to keep it accessible. Hadn't thought about a coin slot.

Maybe you could find an old parking meter somewhere to rig up as the timer. :)

That sounds like a relatively easy circuit to build if you can't find an off-the-shelf job. Just a timer that adds x amount of time per coin and when time's up it disables the controls. I've never implemented a long duration (minutes) timer with a microcontroller, but can't imagine it being too difficult just using nested loops. Detecting a switch closure from the coin mech and necessary debouncing thereof wouldn't be a big deal.

From what I know of the Vectrex, you'd have to disconnect the ground/common from the controller to kill the buttons and break the + and - 5v to disable the stick. I suppose just disabling the buttons would suffice.

With a single cheapie uController and an analog switch chip (or maybe just a transistor or two), somebody could cook up the circuit to kill the controller. I'd have to double check the Vectrex controller implementation to be sure, but if you didn't have to disable the stick, I think you might be able to do the whole timer control business with just a simple microcontroller by switching the signal feeding the controller buttons to high impedance (or a logic 1) instead of logic 0 (ground).

Edited by BigO

Hehe, I found 2 of 3 Minicades in the Boston area. One was at a flea market for $75 and the other was $50 from a coin-op repair shop. Anyways its what you guessed, you're just renting the controller by the minute. Theres no tampering with the software, its about as complex as your fridge light. Its like a less sophisticated version of the playchoice-10. The trick is the controller plugs into the PCB and then the PCB plugs into the vectrex. If you simply plug the controller straight into the vec you can play it like a regular vectrex with a multicart of whatever you like. Whats the point of that? Well I've found that the rock solid stability of minicade controller is helpful when playing games that involve a lot of button mashing. On the other hand I cant imagine how these machines would have worked in bar or arcade, they run quite warm after an hour or so.

I could be misremembering this but about 6 years ago a DP member found 4 or 5 of these that been water damged and sold one to Sean Kelly who restored it. I think he was toying with idea of creating a title screen and attract mode for it, again I'm not sure but its a neat idea.

Here's a site where a guy built a cab for the Vectrex. Not a copy of the minicade... but still cool.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bakkerp/Projects/VecCab_Assembly.htm

I think I would like a fairly good replica of the minicade. Perhaps different controls like the guy did above. (The button scheme is strange... but whatever).

Do any of the multicarts save the high score for the games (even if the power is off?). An Attract screen would be awesome.

If anyone ever uses a 19 inch arcade vector monitor (ala Asteroids, Lunar Lander, etc) I have an isolation transformer board from an Atari vector sitting around. LMK if you need it :) I could be persuaded very easily to part with it. I had the idea of rigging a Vectrex with a Sean Kelly Multicart into a coctail Asteroids Deluxe I had at one time. It would have been a neat way to use the Vectrex in my gameroom and hold beverages at the same time.

C

BTW, I think a 555 timer and a few capacitors would do the same thing as the timer circuit. Trip the switch, it energizes a relay to do the grounding. Use a potentiameter and a capacitor to adjust how long you play. Bigger means longer, right? Something like that...its been years...probably less than 5 bucks in parts and everything at Radio Shack (even the crappy ones of today).

C

BTW, I think a 555 timer and a few capacitors would do the same thing as the timer circuit. Trip the switch, it energizes a relay to do the grounding. Use a potentiameter and a capacitor to adjust how long you play. Bigger means longer, right? Something like that...its been years...probably less than 5 bucks in parts and everything at Radio Shack (even the crappy ones of today).

C

It could be done simply with a 555 or two. But, if I were building it as something commercial, I think I'd still go with the uController with internal clock as it could be done with a single component. With the uC implementation, additional coins could be added for more time before the time actually expired. Such a uController can be had for about $2.00.

Of course, in my scheme you'd want some sort of "credits" or "time remaining" indicator which isn't likely authentic to the original design. I'm sure in the real world of arcade game support, a technician would much rather be able to solder in an off-the-shelf 555 or capacitor than have to program a uController.

What did the real Mini-Cade (or similar) do if you added a coin before time expired, I wonder. I can easily imagine a really simple 555 circuit resetting to a full count, but not incrementing the time for each coin added.

Why add a coin slot?

Display reasons.... mainly.

The main thing I want to do with the gameroom/theater is display some of my collection. I think the way to display my Lynx stuff will be building a replica Lynx Kiosk that has been recently shown (in detail I might add). I can use the space below to store extra items, run a power strip to plug in AC Adapters, store Lynx cases, homebrews, etc. By doing so, I create an environment where you basically display your collection, yet can still get great play value out of it.

Same thing for the Vectrex. I have 3 Vectrex sitting here at the house. One of them has some issues but has a perefct casing. Cosmetically it is wonderful. Another Vectrex that just arrived is a bit busted up. The casing is busted, the screw posts are broken in half, etc. However, it still works perfectly. I will be switching these eventually and selling the other for parts. That leaves me with one other Vectrex aside from the one I've rescued. Now that I have nearly a complete boxed collection/set, I would eventually like to build a kiosk of sorts to show it off. I thought the MiniCade sounded great. Of course I'd love to get it to work just like the MiniCade... but not sure if I know how. The advice above may help though! I just think it is a cool thing to have.

You'll see the same for my Atari 2600 collection as well. The games won't have a static display or anything too outrageous, however I've got a few plans for the ol' 2600 when all is said and done. I don't know if a coin slot will be utilized, thus far it isn't... but I still think my idea will eventually give me MORE playtime than I currently have. Simply because of the fun factor being restored for me. :)

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get the chance. RIght now I'm simply gathering the parts I need.

but if you didn't have to disable the stick, I think you might be able to do the whole timer control business with just a simple microcontroller

To be complete you'd have to disable the stick too as a game like Spike would still be semi-playable. But like you say, a small 8 pin PIC and a MAX 322 would do the job nicely. The time span could be either selected with DIP switch or pot (on AD) connected to the other ports. I'd go with a 4 way DIP switch which would give you 16 precise times.

Edited by Richard H.

but if you didn't have to disable the stick, I think you might be able to do the whole timer control business with just a simple microcontroller

To be complete you'd have to disable the stick too as a game like Spike would still be semi-playable. But like you say, a small 8 pin PIC and a MAX 322 would do the job nicely. The time span could be either selected with DIP switch or pot (on AD) connected to the other ports. I'd go with a 4 way DIP switch which would give you 16 precise times.

Got any links that would show how to build this type of circuit?

I'm not really great at that type of thing

Got any links that would show how to build this type of circuit?

I'm not really great at that type of thing

Myself, I've never seen links to anything put together like this. Basically, the suggestion is to implement a countdown timer in a PIC microcontroller. Doing so would require knowing how to program the microcontroller and having the equipment to load the program into the microcontroller once written. The MAX322 is an "analog switch" which would be capable of turning on and off the signals that were discussed. Something like this would be necessary to switch the negative polarity voltage that is used by the controller.

In your case, you'd simply have to tie together the control inputs for several channels (switches) of an "analog switch IC" and turn them all on or off with a single signal. This part would be the easiest place to start experimenting. Grab a 4066 (or similar) and wire it up to controll all 3 of the necessary Vectrex controller signals with a single toggle switch.

The suggested 4 way DIP switch would be read by the microcontroller every time a coin was added to determine how much time to add back into the current count. Each of the 16 combinations would represent a different amount of time to permit configuration. As a first pass at development, you could skip this part and add a fixed amount of time. For a non-commercial application, you could probably get by without such configurability.

The microcontroller I mentioned ( has 6 I/O lines available. One would configured as an input to detect the signal from the coin mech. Another would be configured as an output to actuate the switching circuit to enable and disable the controller. The 4 additional I/O lines could be used to implement the configuration DIP switch as suggested by Richard H.

I could probably find you some references on the component parts of the system by searching for the following:

* implementing a countdown, long duration timer in a PIC microcontroller

* using I/O in a PIC microcontroller

* 4066 or MAX322 application examples

I think the microcontroller programming is your biggest challenge, but I'd consider it less challenging than designing a circuit to do the same job with individual counter/timer IC's.

Implementing a simple "start over" countdown timer, as opposed to my assumed time incrementing version, would be simpler if that would provide you a sufficient level of functionality. If this is just for your own use, you won't be perceived as ripping people off when they put in additional coins without getting a full x amount of time for each coin added.

Richard H. is more of a hardware guru than I am by far so he may have some references more readily at hand. I can make it up as I go along.

Do you want it to be the same as the original ? (i.e a single fixed time period)

BTW how long is it on the MiniCade ?

You're going to have a coin slot right ? and one coin per play ?

Does the slot just momentarily close a contact as the coin goes through ?

Would you also want a 'freeplay' override switch ?

Do you want it to be the same as the original ? (i.e a single fixed time period)

If that is the original and desired functionality, it's much simpler than I would try to make it. Personally, I'd find it annoying for a game to not come to an end but instead just quit functioning with no chance to continue it. But, I tend to overcomplicate things sometimes and can see how just the novelty of a coin slot would make this a fun piece to have at home.

(The coin mechs on the stuff I own do in fact just provide a momentary contact closure as the falling coin triggers a microswitch.)

Edited by BigO

1. Single fixed time... not sure. Perhaps if you add two coins it will add more time. I'm thinking that is more desireable. Or... the override freeplay switch as well.

2. Minicade is @ 1 minute and 30 seconds if I recall....

3. Coin slot: Yes. One coin per play... sure. Perhaps add more time ability. It was mentioned that the light would blink if it was on the final 20 seconds of play. That would be nice to have implemented.

4. momentarily close... umm... I'm not that technical! LOL

5. Freeplay override would be great!