IGNORED

Happy Bear Smackdown

Fort Apocalypse

2 player, joysticks required

The happy bears from the land of clouds every once in a while tire of caring and sharing and want to fight!

Select the scene you want with select and move the joystick up to choose the color of your bear. Then hit reset and the match is started!

Only shining beams of love from your frontside will cause the other bear to come back to his senses and leave the arena.

If you sneak up behind a bear you can do some flying wrestling moves! Also certain bear moves can make you move quickly (a.k.a. "teleport").

Have fun!

(Note: the previous name of this game was Colored Bear Throwdown.)

coloredbearthrowdown_0.1.bas

coloredbearthrowdown_0.1.bas.bin

post-7602-1203221204_thumb.png

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Version 0.2. Thinking about making this a side scroller adventure in a different thread, but for now the fight is still on. Two colored bears enter! Only one colored bear leaves!

Added:

* Gravity

* Can climb vine and hills

* Light of love is much faster

Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Also, please submit playfields that you think would be good for colored bear fights!

post-7602-1203382672_thumb.png

post-7602-1203382680_thumb.png

coloredbearthrowdown_0.2.bas

coloredbearthrowdown_0.2.bas.bin

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I love this idea... love it! Care Bears in a Smash Bros.-style fighting game is a brilliant concept. Don't change the setting at all... the 2600 needs a fighting game badly, especially when you consider that all the OTHER ones for the system suck.

EDIT: The game moves a little too quickly... I'd suggest putting on the breaks and making it just a touch slower. A natural jumping arc would be a big help, too.

Edited by Jess Ragan

I love this idea... love it! Care Bears in a Smash Bros.-style fighting game is a brilliant concept. Don't change the setting at all... the 2600 needs a fighting game badly, especially when you consider that all the OTHER ones for the system suck.

EDIT: The game moves a little too quickly... I'd suggest putting on the breaks and making it just a touch slower. A natural jumping arc would be a big help, too.

Thanks! Made it slower and now has 8 levels. I could really use some help with level design if anyone would like to have a hand at it. For example, level 6 is currently:

playfield:
X..X....X.......X.......X......X
X..............................X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
end

coloredbearthrowdown_0.5.bas

coloredbearthrowdown_0.5.bas.bin

post-7602-1203389102_thumb.png

post-7602-1203389106_thumb.png

post-7602-1203389110_thumb.png

Your AI needs work but the controls are good, seems like this will be pretty fun when it's finished. I think it would look better if you use no_blank_lines, and substitute the ball for the second missile. It's easy to walk up to the other bear and kill him instantly, so maybe he should run away when you move toward him, and attack when you move away or stand still.