IGNORED

Hackomatic to Make Music: Cool content!

Atari Charles

I figured I would try using Hackomatic 2 than assembly to make music on the Atari 2600. As Paul Slocum has a program called

Music Kit 2.0 here: http://qotile.net/files/music_kit_2.zip and as the user is supposed to take Paul's "songmain" to modify and make a new song, I figured why not try this using Hackomatic 2(my favorite tool) to do the same thing.

As the song bin files are essentially a song(audio), why not hack it up. In Hackomatic 2, I compaired "songmain" with another cool from "b00daw" of nephariousatarious, I found where there was changed and where patterns emerged for the audio of the bins. With this a person can make changes in the code, save it as a bin, try it on an emulator and if you like the changes continue, if not redo.

I opened three Hackomatics "songmain", "nephariousatarious" and "mysong("songmain" that will be changed)". I compaired the code and figured out where "nephariousatarious" was changed to make a new song. Of course, he didn't do it via hackomatic, so his results are more exact. Even without compairing both songs, a person can see where things repeat and where there is a pattern in Paul's "songmain". Change the line but coloring or uncoloring squares either adding, subtracting or redoing a line of code and see what happens. Don't change the first 0000 to 0017 or your song may be screwed up or be shortened.

Also I figured I would play around with placing images in areas reserved for sound. I got some interesting results with blocky Pac-Man and his ghosts(no I didn't try E.T. yet) and the sounds were still cool and somewhat musical. And oddly had some atari Pac-Man sounds in there. People have showed what sound looks like, but now we can hear what Atari graphics sound like. The Pac-Man and Ghost song is not done, but here is a w.i.p..

Here are the original songs and the songs I have done. Check them out it Hackomatic or Bithacker to see what changes I have made.

For those of you like myself, who are still learning on the Atari 2600 programming front, Hackomatic is a good way to try your hand at music.

songmain.bin

botb_1653_b00daw___nephariousatarious.bin

Nepharious_Atarious_Keponic_Remix_Charles_F._Gray_.bin

Paul_SlocumSongmainGlitchRemix_Charles_F._Gray_.bin

Pac_man_and_Ghost_Song__Charles_F._Gray_.bin

PaulSlocumSongmain_if_extended_by_this_intro_Charles_F._Gray_.bin

Pac_man_and_Ghost_Song_B_Side_and_B_Sure_to_open_it_with_Hackomastic_too__Charles_F._Gray_.bin

Edited by Atari Charles

As the song bin files are essentially a song(audio), why not hack it up. In Hackomatic 2, I compaired "songmain" with another cool song "botb_1653 b00daw" by nephariousatarious, I found where there was changed and where pattrens emerged for the audio of the bins. With this a person can make changes in the code, save it as a bin, try it on an emulator and if you like the changes continue, if not redo.

Silly Charlie... The song is called 'Nepharious Atarious.' :P