IGNORED

Impulse?

PeterG

hey Matthias don#t you want to tell us something about Impulse?

Is see you teamed up with Duranik again. So what does await us this time?

Looking forward to it.

greetings

Peter

Just checked the Duranik page. Nice, so you do a port from the Falcon version?

Cool maybe I should get a rotary finally...hesitated till now since only T2k made use of it but it seems that there will be more soon :-)

Edited by Peterghiea

Hello Peter!

You are right, since November 2007 i am doing a port of Duranik's Impulse.

As the Jaguar-version is technically and graphically (almost) identical to the Falcon version you can get a good impression about what the game will be by visiting Duranik's Impulse website .

The only exception is that there is no level designer (currently) planned for the Jaguar version.

Kind regards

Matthias

Edited: Link towards Duranik's Falcon-subpage

Edited by Matthias

Hello!

It looks very good :)

Is rotary controller and/or mouse support planned ?

Planned and (partially) implemented, with the mouse being my favorite input device ;)

You'll see that a Rotary-device like a VCS-Driving controller or a modified Jagpad isn't the best choice for a game where you have to cover a wide range of a playfield. But they are supported.

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello,

Duranik have just set up a frame-less version of their Falcon/Impulse-webpage, so i have updated my previous messages. :)

Kind regards

Matthias

Cool, I have very fond memories of my first game like this on my Mega St. Can't remember the name of it though. It was in black and white and the bricks had all kinds of powerups. I spend countless hours on it and got very far until there was a level I relly did not know how to beat it without superhuman reflexes ;-)

Well then a mouse and a loooooong cable ;-)

Hello!

It looks very good :)

Is rotary controller and/or mouse support planned ?

Planned and (partially) implemented, with the mouse being my favorite input device ;)

You'll see that a Rotary-device like a VCS-Driving controller or a modified Jagpad isn't the best choice for a game where you have to cover a wide range of a playfield. But they are supported.

Kind regards

Matthias

Dat's wut im talkin' 'bout!

I assume you are going to add support for the other tempest rotaries out there?

I've been using an Atari ST mouse, a CX-22 and Scott (Jagmod) has been using an Amiga mouse

for our games. The VCS rotary just does not have a high enough resolution but its supported as

well.

I did pick up a few various encoders that I will attempt to swap out in an Old VCS driving control

and add two more buttons on the same side(some how) as the one already there.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Nice job Matthias! :D

I'm all for more games to utilize the teamtap, especially something other than B-ball, but I really don't see that a breakout/arkanoid clone is the game to do it with. For one it would just be a big mess trying to not lose track of who's paddle is who's and all that stuff with four paddles on the screen moving back and forth, even if they look different or have different colors. I have trouble sometimes avoiding getting mixed up or disoriented with two player games like Raiden with all the criss-crossing. This type of game is a single, or at most co-op type of game. I can't see it working out with 4 players attempting to play this type of game. It would have to be changed into an almost completely different type of breakout (Warlords) game to accomplish something viable for four players at once. It wouldn't be 'Impulse' any more. We need a Warlords type of game for that.

Edited by Gunstar

Matthias, you can please the people who own a TeamTap, and add 4-player support to the game :D

Since Impulse for Jaguar is a port from the Falcon game I doubt any new functionality will be easy to integrate.

Apart from that I do not see why TeamTap / multiplayer support would be desirable for a Breakout type game.

Edited by jaguar_fan

the only real reason for this is the support that the MemoryTrack gives
What would be the problem with using the EEPROM in a cartridge instead ?

(I'd like to play this game, but I don't have a JagCD :( )

JagCD units tend to appear quite often on ebay these days. The prices are decent. You should really try to get you one.

Hello!

Matthias, you can please the people who own a TeamTap, and add 4-player support to the game :D

Impulse was a single-player game on the Falcon, and so it will be on the Jaguar.

Kind regards

Matthias

Ah you should do the multiplayer, just to fluster Gunstar. :lol: