IGNORED

Attention HSC moderators!

As pretty much everybody is aware, there are plans going on for a HSC wide gaming competition for Ms.Pac-man that is going to involved every HSC that has Ms.Pac-man available for it. A lot of the posts with ideas were being kicked around in the 5200 vs 7800 HSC thread and decided to make one thread were ideas could be shared. And since there is no single HSC forum, we can discus it in the classics forum.

What we have for now and please people reply if I'm wrong, is a competition between 2600, 5200, Lynx, 8-bit, and NES for Ms. Pac-man.

#1, who is going to start and keep up with a Lynx HSC, or would there just be a thread for this one time only since there isn't a HSC already for the Lynx.

#2, idea was kicked around in the 5200 vs 7800 thread of including the Jaguar that has a variant of pac-man, or doing Asteroids, but the 5200 would lack in this area as the game was unreleased and playable by making/buying your own cart or playing through emu.

#3, scoring. there is a concern based upon how the competition would be scored in which I believe once we get all the ideas down, a vote should be taken. From a basic accumulative score to averages, top averages, etc.

#4, time frame. When, and how long are the two biggies. Do we want to try to generate hype for this by posting on other sites to peak interest?

Please share your ideas and concerns, I would really like to see this happen, I think it could be a lot of fun.

Erm, nobody ever told me about this. :ponder: :lol:

Is the scoring the same between all variations and systems? And there are two different versions of Ms. Pac-Man for the NES, one by Tengen and one by Namco.

EDIT: Rereading a bit, is the idea that participants would play the version/system of their choice? Or would they play all versions? Or would each system have a separate leader board?

EDIT II: And what about the Genesis, dammit! And the SNES, MAME, SMS, Atari 400/800/XL/XE, C64, Apple II, and other handhelds (GB, GBC, GG, ...)?

Edited by vdub_bobby

yeah pitfall would be a good game and yes, I forgot about the 7800, Lynx would not be able to participate in Pitfall though.

Jaguar can do Pitfall (they have the 2600 pack in game on the Pitfall we have) and again, Asteriods.

Here are games the Jaguar can do that are common to the other systems...

(All these have classic modes I believe)

Defender

Breakout

Missile Command

Pitfall

Not so classic, but true to a theme...

(Asteroids)

(Pacmania)

Gorf (Kinda rare but still)

Star Raiders (Alone against the Empire: Battlesphere)

And we can't forget... PONG! :D

Edited by doctorclu

Miner2049er would be another good multi console game.

That would be a good 2600/5200/8-bit game.

Not sure if there was a ST version. Could be played on a 7800 though not a specific 7800 version out there.

Lynx and Jaguar would be out.

Standing by with the Jaguar area to see when this is starting up. Glad Lynx is getting a HSC started. :D

I'm thinking that Ms. Pac-man and the Jag variant of Pac-man is going to be the best bet.

We need to figure out when because the 5200 vs 7800 HSC is ending on Sunday and when I come in Monday I will be back to the normal 5200 HSC bi-weekly competition. Should we start say, 4-01 and run til 5-01? Would that give all the other HSC's to end their current competitions and give us enough time to get down all the rules and scoring?

Yea....7800 is in on this one.

SMS will have to be out.....no Ms. Pac-Man. But Cybergoth has a new challenge going.....Wonder Boy.

I'll be gone all day....so if you guys can sort this all out by the time I get home....that would be great. ;) :D

Edited by PressureCooker2600

I'm thinking that Ms. Pac-man and the Jag variant of Pac-man is going to be the best bet.

We need to figure out when because the 5200 vs 7800 HSC is ending on Sunday and when I come in Monday I will be back to the normal 5200 HSC bi-weekly competition. Should we start say, 4-01 and run til 5-01? Would that give all the other HSC's to end their current competitions and give us enough time to get down all the rules and scoring?

Very cool! Jaguar competitions run two per month (in case you don't have one you have the other)

Jagmania will be one of the games for April. This should be fun. :D

Colecovision players can also participate couldn't they? They have a 2600 adapter right???

Ok, so are we good with the time frame or do we want to do less than a month as previously suggested.

Also, how do we want to handle the scoring, I vote for total cumulative.

Edited by Atari5200

Colecovision players can also participate couldn't they? They have a 2600 adapter right???

Ok, so are we good with the time frame or do we want to do less than a month as previously suggested.

I suggest either 2 weeks or a month.

And cumulative.

with average score you'd have people like me that would sabatoge other scores with crappy ass scores. :P

Exactly. I would not contribute a score unless I could BEAT the average.

What if instead of having a fixed cutoff of say, 5 or 10, there was an arbitrary cutoff based on the console that had the fewest participants? For example, if the 7800 had only 8 people contribute scores and that was the fewest among the consoles, the cutoff would be 8.

I know this is just for fun, but it kind of takes the fun out of it if the 2600 is the predetermined winner.

Here was my scoring suggestion from the 5200 vs. 7800 thread.

A month would be best, because it would give people plenty of time to participate. The more people that play, the better the competition will be.

I like the idea don't get me wrong, but I think you are going to see low turn out from the Lynx and the Jaguar which would hurt, people are going to see the lack of participation and not bother if 3 people participate in the Jaguar HSC, then only 3 scores are going to be taken from all the other HSC's, why bother contribute if you can't be in the top 3. You could do total average as long as people promise not to sabatage other HSC's.

Ok so here is what we got so far:

#1, contest to start 4-01, everybody ok with this?

#2, So far for participating HSC's we have.

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Atari 8-bit

Atari Lynx

Atari Jaguar

Colecovision

NES

Lets now vote on time frame, 1 week, 2 weeks, or 1 month.

Lets now vote on scoring, total cumulative, average of all scores, or the average of participants that equal the total number of the lowest participating HSC. phew.

With tentative start date of 4-01, we have time, lets keep the voting open for say 2 weeks, so voting end 3-21.

Anybody can vote.

My votes are as follows #1, 1 month, #2 Cumulative scoring.

yeah you can use the adaptor but you would be playing the 2600 version. Wouldn't you consider that part of the 2600 HSC.

yeah you can use the adaptor but you would be playing the 2600 version. Wouldn't you consider that part of the 2600 HSC.

Hah... that would be the same as playing the 2600 version on a 7800 and counting it toward the 7800 score.