IGNORED

AtariAge does not exist again (unplugged modem/router for 24 hours to fix)

There have been a few times over the years when AtariAge was unavailable for many days in a row when I tried to visit, but everyone else could use the site. It's happened to me again today. It's like the site doesn't exist and it's been that way for many hours. I had a relative in Florida check and he said the web site was working for him, so I decided to try anonymouse.org to see if I could get in, and although some things don't work and it's sluggish, here I am. Why does it seem like AtariAge no longer exists when I try to visit normally? Cache has been cleared, AtariAge cookies have been deleted, computer has been reset, but still nothing.

Thanks.

Edited by Random Terrain

Sounds like you may be having issues with your DNS server. Open a DOS prompt, and type 'ping www.atariage.com' and see if it comes back with the address. If not, try typing 'ping 216.40.231.66'. If that works, it's definitely a DNS issue.

Thanks. After finding out how to open a DOS prompt, it could not find the host using 'ping www.atariage.com' but I got back all kinds of info when using 'ping 216.40.231.66'.

Is there anything I can do to use the site normally or does Albert have to kick somebody's butt?

Edited by Random Terrain

Sounds like you may be having issues with your DNS server. Open a DOS prompt, and type 'ping www.atariage.com' and see if it comes back with the address. If not, try typing 'ping 216.40.231.66'. If that works, it's definitely a DNS issue.

Thanks. After finding out how to open a DOS prompt, it could not find the host using 'ping www.atariage.com' but I got back all kinds of info when using 'ping 216.40.231.66'.

Is there anything I can do to use the site normally or does Albert have to kick somebody's butt?

This is not an issue on our end, go kick your ISP's ass.

..Al

There have been a few times over the years when AtariAge was unavailable for many days in a row when I tried to visit, but everyone else could use the site. It's happened to me again today. It's like the site doesn't exist and it's been that way for many hours. I had a relative in Florida check and he said the web site was working for him, so I decided to try anonymouse.org to see if I could get in, and although some things don't work and it's sluggish, here I am. Why does it seem like AtariAge no longer exists when I try to visit normally? Cache has been cleared, AtariAge cookies have been deleted, computer has been reset, but still nothing.

Thanks.

Unplug your modem and/or router for about a minute.

Sorry about the lack of info about the DOS prompt... I shouldn't assume everyone knows about that :(

Just some questions first to find out what the issue is:

Who is your internet provider?

Is your computer connected directly to your cable modem (if you are using a cable modem) or is it connected to a Router, then the Router is connected to a cable modem?

We can try flushing your DNS cache as well (in case there are some bad entries in there messing you up:

If you are using XP:

Close all Internet Explorer windows,

Start that DOS prompt again, and type 'ipconfig /flushdns'

when it comes back to a prompt, close that DOS command prompt, and try to get into AA again. Let me know if that works.

Bob

EDIT - I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that you already tried resetting your modem / router. I have to stop assuming things. :|

Sometimes being your company's Network Administrator works against you.

Edited by PacManPlus

Sorry about the lack of info about the DOS prompt... I shouldn't assume everyone knows about that :(

Just some questions first to find out what the issue is:

Who is your internet provider?

Is your computer connected directly to your cable modem (if you are using a cable modem) or is it connected to a Router, then the Router is connected to a cable modem?

We can try flushing your DNS cache as well (in case there are some bad entries in there messing you up:

If you are using XP:

Close all Internet Explorer windows,

Start that DOS prompt again, and type 'ipconfig /flushdns'

when it comes back to a prompt, close that DOS command prompt, and try to get into AA again. Let me know if that works.

Bob

EDIT - I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that you already tried resetting your modem / router. I have to stop assuming things. :|

Sometimes being your company's Network Administrator works against you.

Thanks. I use Vista (I also had the same problem on my old XP computer and the problem eventually went away on its own after many days.) I unplugged my Netgear modem/router for at least 5 minutes and that didn't help. I finally got a Time Warner Road Runner tech guy in the Philippines and he said to make sure I was running the cmd DOS prompt as an administrator and he had me type in what you said:

'ipconfig /flushdns'

He then said to type in this:

'ipconfig /registerdns'

He thought that would fix it, but I still had the same problem. He then said to type this into my browser:

http://216.40.231.66/

He said I should be able to visit the site normally that way even if www.atariage.com was not working. But I get some kind of cPanel page when I do that. This is what it says on that page:

Great Success !

Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server

If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.

ATTENTION!

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.

About cPanel:

cPanel is a leading provider of software for the webhosting industry. If you would like to learn more about cPanel please visit our website at www.cpanel.net. Please be advised that cPanel Inc. is not a web hosting company, and as such has no control over content found elsewhere on this site.

About Apache HTTP Server:

The Apache HTTP Server is an open source web server which powers many of the worlds web sites. The Apache HTTP server is part of the Apache Group's many influential projects. Their efforts have helped shape much the world wide web, and they continue to be a dominating force in the web hosting industry.

I can't post a screenshot because there's no way for me to attach it.

Thanks.

I had a problem a few months ago where i couldn't get here for about a month. It kept acting as the site didn't exist. I decided to check it out from work and i could get in. Still couldn't get in from my account at home so i logged into my sister's sub account and typed in the site address and got in no problem. Then somehow after i did that I was able to get onto the site using my own account again. I tried all the cache stuff without any luck and then all the sudden after logging on through my sister's sub account i was able to get in. Didn't make any sense to me but I didn't complain.

I had a problem a few months ago where i couldn't get here for about a month. It kept acting as the site didn't exist. I decided to check it out from work and i could get in. Still couldn't get in from my account at home so i logged into my sister's sub account and typed in the site address and got in no problem. Then somehow after i did that I was able to get onto the site using my own account again. I tried all the cache stuff without any luck and then all the sudden after logging on through my sister's sub account i was able to get in. Didn't make any sense to me but I didn't complain.

Yup, I have had exactly the same problems!

I hope this means that you might be able to do something about it after all:

ATTENTION!

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.

I hope this means that you might be able to do something about it after all:

ATTENTION!

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to .) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.

No, AtariAge sits on a dedicated server with a few other websites that all share the same IP address. If you go to this IP address (as you have done), you'll get this generic page that you are seeing. You can get to the site here:

http://216.40.231.66/~atariage/

However, that's not going to work very well as there are various absolute links to http://www.atariage.com/ and if you hit one of them you'll run into the same problem you're having now.

..Al

No, AtariAge sits on a dedicated server with a few other websites that all share the same IP address. If you go to this IP address (as you have done), you'll get this generic page that you are seeing. You can get to the site here:

http://216.40.231.66/~atariage/

However, that's not going to work very well as there are various absolute links to http://www.atariage.com/ and if you hit one of them you'll run into the same problem you're having now.

Thanks. I see what you mean. That provides a stripped-down version of the main page with no images and it is almost as sluggish as using anonymouse.org. It's also impossible to log in, even if I copy and paste to get a working login page.

I still don't understand why my ISP would only block your web site out of the millions out there. I've had no problems visiting any other web sites so far.

After nothing I tried worked, I kept Googling for answers and one guy said to unplug your modem/router for 24 hours. It might be a coincidence, but after having my modem/router unplugged for 24 hours, here I am at AtariAge without needing to use anonymouse.org. :thumbsup:

If you keep having DNS issues with your ISP, do an end-around with a free DNS provider:

http://www.opendns.com/

I use OpenDNS and it's been great. Comcast DNS can be slow sometimes, so I just added that one in instead about 2-3 years ago. Definitely helps.

Thanks. Never heard of that. I'll try it if this happens again.

I've had so many problems with Comcast's DNS that I manually specify a DNS from my old ISP. I do this on every computer in my house, and it works like a charm.

How do you manually specify a DNS?

I've had so many problems with Comcast's DNS that I manually specify a DNS from my old ISP. I do this on every computer in my house, and it works like a charm.

In Windows XP, in My Network Places go to Properties, then under Local Area Connection, go to Properties. Select TCP/IP then properties. There should be radio buttons for "Obtain a DNS server address automatically" or "Use the following DNS server." I'd imagine Vista is similar.

I've never had a problem using DNS servers from other ISPs, though apparently not all of them are open. Here is a list of public DNS servers that you can try.

In Windows XP, in My Network Places go to Properties, then under Local Area Connection, go to Properties. Select TCP/IP then properties. There should be radio buttons for "Obtain a DNS server address automatically" or "Use the following DNS server." I'd imagine Vista is similar.

I've never had a problem using DNS servers from other ISPs, though apparently not all of them are open. Here is a list of public DNS servers that you can try.

Thanks. I'll put this info in a Notepad file and try it if I have this problem again.

• 5 months later...

I had a similar problem with Google recently. The public DNS server I switched to (208.67.222.222) was working great and then I couldn't get to Google more than half of the time I tried. My access to Google would come and go throughout the day. I checked my computer for viruses and used Spybot, but nothing helped. I switched my DNS server back to automatic and I have no problems getting to Google now.

If I find out that I can't get back to AtariAge, I'll switch to another public DNS server, but automatic seems to be working perfectly at this time.

One particular chat room I like to visit seemingly went AWOL last week, but when I tried to access it by IP address instead of by name, it worked. It is not unusual to see this once in a while, and it is almost never the fault of the server you are trying to connect to.

All DNS servers and some DNS clients use some form of caching, so that, once they know the IP address of a given name, they don't have to look that name up again for a period of time (usually 24 to 72 hours). Unfortunately, if a DNS utility's cache gets botched, anyone who relies on that utility is going to be out of luck until the cache period expires and the names are looked up again (unless that person knows how and has permission to modify the cache).

Some malicious exploits actually try to make this happen on purpose, to make people think they are visiting one site when really their DNS server has directed them to another site, possibly run by a cracker phishing for personal information. This is known as DNS cache poisoning.

Unfortunately, for web sites in particular, knowing the IP address is not enough to get around a caching problem. As Albert mentioned, AtariAge shares its server, and its IP address, with several other web sites. This is a very common practice on the web nowadays, made possible by the way web servers and web browsers interact. When a browser connects to a web server, one piece of information it gives the server is the name of the site it's looking for. The server uses this to decide which set of web pages to dish out to that browser. When a browser hits a site by IP address instead of by name, this information is lost, and so the web server can only assume the browser is asking for the server's default site, which often isn't much more than an "It works!" page.

Crafty users who don't have access to their DNS server cache can work around this problem by changing their DNS servers as noted above, or by setting up what is called a "hosts file." A hosts file is simply a collection of names and IP addresses that a computer consults before DNS. If the requested name is in the hosts file, DNS is skipped entirely. All Unix and Unix-ish operating systems (including all flavors of linux) keep the hosts file at /etc/hosts. All versions of Windows based on NT, including XP and Vista, usually keep the hosts file at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, but this can be changed with a Registry edit. Note that if you decide to save a name and IP combination to your hosts file, and the site later switches IP addresses, it will be up to you to update your hosts file manually; DNS will not do it for you. More information about the hosts file is available here.

Note also that if you are on a Windows machine and you decide to edit the hosts file, do not allow your editor to resave the file with ".txt" or any other extension!

Edited by skunkworx

• 5 weeks later...

I' ve had trouble with getting on Atariage from home, well at least one of my computers, for the past month now. Atariage is the only site that hangs too. To get around this I have my network settings tab open on Mac OS X, and have to hit "Renew DHCP Lease" and then Atariage works.

Strange stuff.