IGNORED

MLB 08: The Show

zombiecraig

Anyone else playing this? I'm really enjoying this game. I think that it's only the second game from this series that I have tried. I didn't play last year's game, though I'm pretty sure that I played a little of the '06 game and really didn't care for it too much. I'm glad that this one is holding my interest.

I've played a few exhibition games and they seem pretty solid. This game features the old style press the button to swing and pitch with timing aspects, similar to the old High Heat series and earlier incarnations of MVP (I think they implemented an analog "swing stick" later on, didn't they?). After trying the new, overly complex pitching system of MLB 2K8, I'm glad that I went with this game. I can understand if people enjoy the challenge of learning the new system in 2K8, but I'd prefer to stick with a more solid, time-tested control scheme.

I generally don't get into a season mode until the Opening Day rosters are released, but that's okay, because I am hopelessly addicted to the Road to the Show mode. You create a player and bring him up through the farm system. I had a terrible spring training and was dumped into AA, but it's fantastic! Reaching goals and building up player stats makes for a habit forming "one more game" approach. This is truly the best "create a player and take him to the top" mode that I've come across. So much better than Madden's Superstar mode. It focuses on your at bats and plays in the field, asks you to drive in runs or steal bases for reward points, even presenting hit & run and bunt opportunities. I'm only in my second month of AA, but so far so good. It seems very realistic for the most part. My worst fear was that I would not have to toil in the minors long enough.

I have noticed a few general bugs that did not really effect game play. Tonight in a 2 player exhibition game, my friend was somehow able to access my bullpen for a moment and begin warming up a pitcher. I then sat him, and he tried again and simply accessed his bullpen. Maybe just a temporary sixaxis signal glitch? And in Road to the Show, the system has a problem overwriting previous saves sometimes. It will simply create new files instead, which you must manually delete. A little annoying, though it doesn't effect gameplay.

This is definitely the best baseball game that I have played in some time. I played a lot of 2K7 last year, and this tops that in my book. Probably the best since MVP 2005. And the presentation is fantastic! Incredible graphics and sound. There are graphical glitches from time to time with players sliding through other players when being tagged out. They're still called out, though, so this is just a slight cosmetic flaw. It certainly doesn't bring the game down for me, at all.

I definitely recommend this one. If you don't mind not having analog swinging, give this one at least a rent and definitely check out the Road to the Show mode.

Was waiting on some insights on this game, thanks for the info. Would like to hear your opinion of the hitting system in MLB 2K8 with the analog stick, what didn't you like about it?

Also, you think MLB 08 is the better of the two games in overall package?

Was waiting on some insights on this game, thanks for the info. Would like to hear your opinion of the hitting system in MLB 2K8 with the analog stick, what didn't you like about it?

Also, you think MLB 08 is the better of the two games in overall package?

No, I'm okay with the analog stick swinging (though I prefer the timing button press method), it's the analog stick pitching that I think is a little too much of a gimmick and just a bit too complex. You have to move the stick in a pattern to complete the pitch. For instance, to throw a curve ball, you may have to make a circular motion around one side with the stick. If you are not right on with the timing and motion of the pattern, the pitch will not be effective. It just takes away too much of the fun, in my opinion. Like I said, if you like the challenge and feel that you can master the system, 2K8 may be for you. I however, would rather stick with the classic style.

And yes, I really do feel that MLB 08 is the better overall game this year.