IGNORED

graphic software that could be good for creating/editing atari graphics

grafixbmp

hello all, I happend to stumble across a piece of free software that may be great for creating atari graphics which could save time and effort in the long run. THe coolest part is it incorporates simple BASIC scripting where you can write your own graphical fuctions instead of doing everything by hand. Like when you need a type of graphic tool you just write it in simple easy to understand BASIC and run the implementation. Could be rather easy to setup the drawing software to conform to ATARI 2600 graphical standards. This isn't limited to just 2600 but all/any of the other platforms that could use time saving graphic tools.just thought I would pass it along. there are already some graphic filters written inthe basic syntax on the page including (taken verbatem)

MirrorTile tiles the surface with the contents of the back buffer, mirroring in both directions. You can specify offsets in the x and y directions.

Liner produces an outline sketch of an image. Handy for converting photographs to artwork. If you want thinner lines, comment out line 220 and 230 where the diagonal lines are detected

These two programs perform the perspective transform, either tilting the image to the left or upwards.

Produces a dithered image for use when printing is limited to black and white with no greyscale.

These are just a few of the possible helpful functions that could help many game programers but an entilre BASIC syntax plugin could elaborate on the abilities of the TIA and speedup many programers projects. I hope some out there find this info useful. check it out

main site: http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm/BASICdrawhome.html

user programs for adding abilities to the software: http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm/UserPrograms.html

here are a few ideas on how this could be used for atari graphic generation.

first off, seting up the limitations for resolution and the 2600 color palette. this would depend on weather you are doing a player graphic or playfield graphics. you could then have inputs for the size you need like drawing based upon sprite width and/or how tall the sprite is. you could also setup single 20 pix row or 40 for either mirrired/non mirrored orasymetrical playing fields. you could also allow only color selection per horizontal row . If exporting is possible, then it could just export a raw file for the sprites as bytes or for playing field data using 3 bytes with the first byte inserting the blank nibble automaticaly. hten another file holding the color data. screen dimentions could be automaticaly set so that it looks correct to a TV screen. there coulalso be more advanced options like dual buffered playing fields for flickered graphics which achieve certain effects not able to be done otherwise.

I have seen a few atari 2600 graphic editors and of the ones I have seen, first off, dont seen to conform the the proper pixel dimentions. They always seem to only allow full monicrome graphics only.

I'm not too sure how far the software allows anyone to control the way things are drawn or created but I figured it was worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...

What would be great is a tool that could take a jpeg, png, bmp, etc. image and convert it to either something that looks like:

.........X............X.........
........XXX..........XXX........
X.......XXXX........XXXX.......X
X.......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.......X
X......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......X
X.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....X
X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

or something that looks like:

%01110110
%11101100
%11111110
%01001010
%10111100
%00110000
%00000000
%00000000

If there were an easy way to do that that looked good, it would be really helpful for coming up with this stuff. However, when I've tried to do similar before by hand converting an image to b/w with low res, it always looks like crap. :(

I think creating very low res b/w color sprites and playfields is more art than anything that could be automated easily, but I'd be really interested in trying it out if you could give an example.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Well, from what I can understand, this software allows a user to eiter start with a picture to modify or possibly setup drawing parameters. If you place a picture in the drawing field, then you can run any number of basic script tools across the picture down to the pixel level. You can also send current data that you are working with to a buffer for future use. I will post the script for dithering so you can see how simple it is.

10 REM dither program 
  20 INPUT width 
  30 INPUT height 
  40 INPUT bwidth 
  50 INPUT bheight 
  60 RESIZE bwidth, bheight, "topleft" 
  70 DIM errory(bwidth)  
  80 FOR i = 1 TO bwidth 
  90 LET errory(i) = 0 
  100 NEXT i 
  110 FOR y = 0 TO bheight -1 
  120 LET err = 128 * (y MOD 2) 
  130 FOR x = 0 TO bwidth -1 
  140 GETPIXELB x, y, red, green, blue 
  150 LET lum = red * 0.3 + green * 0.59 + blue *0.11 
  160 LET err = err + lum + errory(x+1) 
  170 IF err < 255 THEN 210 
  180 LET err = err - 255 
  190 SETPIXEL x, y, 255, 255, 255 
  200 GOTO 220 
  210 SETPIXEL x, y, 0, 0, 0 
  220 LET errory(x+1) = err/2 
  230 LET err = err/2 
  240 NEXT x 
  250 NEXT y 

This is strait from the site so I didn't write it. Anyway from what I can gather, it seems to set the variables for the images resolution so the program knows how big it is then goes through each pixel one at a time and runs an equasion and resets each pixels RGB vales based on the luminance by half and then turns the pixel either on or off.

This example is a simple tool or filter but this just shows how simple and yet complexed this software can be. The programs run across images down to the pixel level possible subpixel level. You can create a simple program and try it. If it is not what you want, you can modify the code and try again. resizing to atari graphical standards would be increadably easy.

below is a link to documentation on code commands inherent to basic draw and how they work.

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm/BA...commandsv2.html

Here are a few things that I have been interested in converting to playfield (convert track to 2 color at resolution I mentioned above) and to sprite (the two indy car pictures). Have also attached picture of Garry Kitchen that would be interesting to see what would look like in playfield resolution above.

If you can convert these and post them that would be way cool as a sample.

Thanks!

post-7602-1206211286_thumb.jpg

post-7602-1206211291.jpg

post-7602-1206211297.jpg

post-7602-1206211323.jpg

Here are a few things that I have been interested in converting to playfield (convert track to 2 color at resolution I mentioned above) and to sprite (the two indy car pictures). Have also attached picture of Garry Kitchen that would be interesting to see what would look like in playfield resolution above.

Thanks!

Isn't that the guy who did or had a hand with the gamemaker for commodore 64?

Thanks!

Isn't that the guy who did or had a hand with the gamemaker for commodore 64?

Gary Kitchen you mean?

Thanks!

Well, I ran the track image through the software with the forementioned dither filter and It looked rather good. The only other part (if you are wanting it for a background) would be to create a smart filter for proper resizing to the Atari 2600's graphical standards of streatched pixels and possibly some colour too.

If anything, the filter could be used and then some touching up to the image could work. I also thought that for some pictures where you want certain things to either be intact or have the original dimentions or as close as possible, a sort of mask or outline overlay could be used to treat certain areas of the picture diffrently than others like the track itself. the resize filter is something I have been working on and planning for a few days when I have time to think about it. I could lay a floor plan and post an outline for what I think could be done.I'll get back to you on this.

post-10601-1206337107_thumb.png

Edited by grafixbmp

Thanks!

Well, I ran the track image through the software with the forementioned dither filter and It looked rather good. The only other part (if you are wanting it for a background) would be to create a smart filter for proper resizing to the Atari 2600's graphical standards of streatched pixels and possibly some colour too.

If anything, the filter could be used and then some touching up to the image could work. I also thought that for some pictures where you want certain things to either be intact or have the original dimentions or as close as possible, a sort of mask or outline overlay could be used to treat certain areas of the picture diffrently than others like the track itself. the resize filter is something I have been working on and planning for a few days when I have time to think about it. I could lay a floor plan and post an outline for what I think could be done.I'll get back to you on this.

quicktime.gif

Would really like to see that. The hardest part of this I assume is the converting to extremely low resolution in such a way that it looks good. I have an application that can convert it to low resolution (b/w, not even grayscale), but what it produces in the 2600 resolution necessary needs so much touch-up it isn't worth the trouble.

here is the best I could do with my samples, for example. converted to 2 bit color using various algorhthyms (didn't seem to matter much) and converted to bB normal kernel non-supercart playfield resolution (32x11) and sprite width (8xN):

I tell ya what, I'll hand draw you one of the cars to a few diffrent specs but I will keep trying to come up with a resize filter for the background and see what I can come up with.

OK wasn't sure what kind of car you wanted or your color scheme but based upon the photos you posted and the car was a profile, I created a few pics based upon the atari's limitations. I also did the stretched given that they are longer than they are tall. This helps to give that impression more. I did the yellow car with one B/W side view one color side view and even a top down view. Like I said, I wasn't sure waht you wanted so I had to guess. I conformed to player sprite rulls with the onlyexception of thembeing twice the width.

post-10601-1206430907.jpg

OK wasn't sure what kind of car you wanted or your color scheme but based upon the photos you posted and the car was a profile, I created a few pics based upon the atari's limitations. I also did the stretched given that they are longer than they are tall. This helps to give that impression more. I did the yellow car with one B/W side view one color side view and even a top down view. Like I said, I wasn't sure waht you wanted so I had to guess. I conformed to player sprite rulls with the onlyexception of thembeing twice the width.

Thanks! Those are awesome!

Thank you for bringing this program to our attention! The dither code example was also appreciated! I have a few projects in the works and this tool could come in handy if I decide to bring projects over to the 2600. I've tested a few of my images and they look pretty decent despite requiring some clean up.

Edited by retrogeek

I've been experimenting with the code distributed by grafixbmp and found the results encouraging. I placed an image from my current project into the dither program and received good results:

testscreen1.jpg

It looks good but requires a lot of clean up.

I manipulated the RGB some and produced a much cleaner image requiring less clean up:

testscreen2.jpg

Great find grafixbmp!

I seem to be having issues with the program and I can't identify what it is. I try to save the images I convert and the program crashes; anyone else with this problem?

I had that problem too. So what I did was duplicate the image that I was working with and rename it then loaded it to the program, run the filtewrs I needed and then clicked "save" instead of "save as" I found a note posted by the creator who said he had trouble with programing the feature of creatinga file.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t444...-basicdraw.html

I'm going to see if I can contact him and see if maybe our community could help him out if he could help us out.

OK. I sent the creator an email about the things we were discussing and if he responds, he may come here and talk to us one on one about how we could colaborate on the program together. (Big if) I was hoping that some here might be able to help him fix his bugs and then he could elaborate on the program for Atari uses. I thought it could be a cool arangement. Anyway, what do you guys think?

OK. I sent the creator an email about the things we were discussing and if he responds, he may come here and talk to us one on one about how we could colaborate on the program together. (Big if) I was hoping that some here might be able to help him fix his bugs and then he could elaborate on the program for Atari uses. I thought it could be a cool arangement. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Please invite him to get involved in the discussion. My hope for all of us would be to have a web-based tool where you could upload an image and get either the player definition or bB playfield definition or asm code to write a playfield back. That would kick butt. But for now, having something that we could download and run to convert images would be awesome.

I use a ASCII art program (there a lots of them, freeware).

These programs convert image into text format, and using a good text editor, you can replace the simbols by 0 and 1 or . and X like this example.

..X......XXXX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX...
..X......XXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX...
..X......XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX...
..X......XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX....
..X......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX....
..X......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX....
..X......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX....
..X....X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX....
..X......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....X....
..X...X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..........
..X...X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX....
..X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.......
..X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX.......
..X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX.......
..X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX.......
..X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX.......
..X....XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXX......XXX........
..X....XX......X........................
..XX...XX...............................
........X...............................
..................................X.....
.......................XXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
........X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....
..X...XXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
..XX..XXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
..XX.XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
..XXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX...
..X.XX.XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX...
..X.XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
..X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
..X...XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
......X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..XX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..XXXX.XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..XXXX.XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..XXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXX...
..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXX...
..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX...
..X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX...
...X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
...XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
...XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXX..
...XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..
...XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..
...XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXX...
...XXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXX...
...XXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXX...
...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.X.XXXXXXXX...
...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXX.XXXXXXX..XXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXX.XXXXXX...XXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXX..XXXXX...XXXX...XXXXXXXXXXXX...
...XXXXXX.XXXXXX.XXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XXXXXX.XXXXXX.XXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XXXXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXX..XXXXX.XXXXXX....
...XXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XXXXXXX...XXXXXXX...XXXXXXX.XXXXX....
...X.XXXXX.X...XXX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XX.XXXX.XX........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XX..XXX.XX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XXX..XX.XXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XXX..XX.XXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....
...XXXX....XXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
...XXX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
....XX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
....XX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....
....XXX....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
....XXX....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
.....XXX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X
XX....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....X
XX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....XX
XX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....XXX
X.......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.........XXX
X........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.........XXX
X....................................XXX
XX...................................XXX
XX....X..............................XXX
X...XX...............................XXX
....XX.....XXXXXXXX...XXXXX.........XXXX
....XX....XXXXXXXXX.X.XXXXX.........XXXX
....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.......XXXXX
X...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXX......XXXXXX
X...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXX...X..XXXXXX
X...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX
....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Took me less than 1 minute, not count the time for image edit.

post-10940-1206500658_thumb.png

I'm behind this idea 100%; this tool would be great for the community if the developer were to accept the arrangement. Who knows, maybe he'll enhance the tool for Atari development.

I use a ASCII art program (there a lots of them, freeware).

These programs convert image into text format, and using a good text editor, you can replace the simbols by 0 and 1 or . and X like this example.

Which would you recommend? I found this one: http://www.text-image.com/convert/ but it uses spaces in addition to just X and ., so you have to specify . and then manually replace the spaces with X.

So far the best tool I've evaluated is bmptoascii by Peter Bone at http://www.geocities.com/peter_bone_uk/software.html

Unfortunately, only works in Windows. You run the executable, specify the options to use the chars ".X" and you have to specify the percentage of reduction (width and height reduction can be different). The problem with this is that I'd want to specify exact number of chars in width and length, and you can only do that via time-consuming trial and error. However, it did a good job with the following B/W world map at available character ".X", 22% width reduction, 15% height reduction (note the latter two would change based on image size).

........XXXXXX..................
.....X.X..XXXX.........XXX......
XXXXXXX....X.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
....XXXXXX......XXXXXXXXXXXX....
....XXXXX......X.XXXXXXXXXXX....
.....XX.......XXXXXXXXXXXX......
..............XXXXXX............
........XXXX.....XX.............
.........XXX.....XX.......XXX...
.........X..................X...

post-7602-1206802205.jpg