IGNORED

Awesome video game system I got off Ebay

Ite

retroduo.jpg

Have you been dying to play your old NES or Super Nintendo games once again? Perhaps you can't find your system, maybe you have the system, but need all the cables to hook it up, or maybe you are just sick and tired of the *$@! thing never working properly?! With this brand new, top-loading system, you can play all of your favorite Nintendo AND Super Nintendo games once again on the same console, and the best part is, they will work every time!

The Retro Duo Features:

This system plays all of your original NES and Super NES games. With this new fully licensed design, two of the most popular game systems, the SNES and the NES, are now combined into 1 system. There is a slot for NES games, and a slot for Super NES games. Why own two barely working systems when you can own just one?! Throw away (or sell) your old pieces of junk and satisfy your 8 and 16-bit needs once and for all! Just insert your favorite NES or Super Nintendo game and start playing!

Compatible with all original NES and Super NES games, and many original or replica controllers and accessories, such as Game Genie, etc. Everything you need to start playing is included with this system. Comes with A/V Cables (w/ S-video), two controllers, and an A/C adapter.

Unlike the FC Twin, the Retro Duo uses actual NES/SNES hardware, which means no more incompatible PAL or JAP games. It also features an S-Video AV Output for increased video quality, as well as air cooling vents to keep your machine running cool. Compatible with all FX chip games and Lockout games like Mario RPG, Starfox, Donkey Kong Country, and much more.

Top loading design eliminates the need for moving parts, which means no more blinking lights, no more blowing into your games to try to make them work! (You know what we're talking about...)

The two included controllers are designed just like the original Super Nintendo controllers, with A, B, X, and Y buttons, except that you use these controllers to play your NES games as well. The X and Y buttons, which are not found on the original NES controllers, act as turbo buttons when playing NES games. (Note: You can also use your regular Super Nintendo controllers with this system - they perform exactly the same as the ones provided, though you cannot use original NES controllers or the light gun).

You can even put an NES game in the NES slot, and a Super NES game in the other slot at the same time, and switch between the two whenever you want.

I can't wait till it comes in the mail! :D

i likey. would help to save some space. i've often considered buying a clone but haven't because of the compatibility issues. let us know how this works out for you after you get it

I've been wanting to get one too, but have been worried it turns out to be a piece of Chinese crap. So if it gets good results for you, let us know.

Nathan

We sell them at Play N Trade for 60$ and they sell well. Not one has come back :D

I would get one if it wasn't for the fact that I like my toploader and my snes mini lol...

The Play'N'Trade here does not carry anything worthwhile, as of a month and a half ago. I need to check it out again soon, they were going through a management change. Hell, I might apply there for assistant manager or something. I'm not much for business, but I have a head for games and stuff.

Aik, what does your retro and trade in retro go for? Here, they wanted $14.99 for a used NES controller.

Nathan

Yes do let us know how this works, I have been seriously thinking about picking up one myself as well.

It's good to hear that no one has really had any major complaints about it so far, very encouraging :)

I see them on ebay all the time when I'm scoping around for some NES SNES stuff and they usually go for about 30$-40$ not a bad deal at all.

But can you play any lightgun games on that thing? I know that's a small handful of games, but it's still a compatibility issue. :x

One day I'll combine my SNES mini and Famicom A/V circuitboards into a single casing and have the best of both systems in a single unit. But when will that day come, you ask? I dunno....

I dunno, I've heard too many people say "this ______ nintendo on a chip system is awesome" only for me to buy it and figure out it has the same incompatibilities, sound and color problems as the rest of them.

a short time ago when I noticed these popping up, I decided not to buy this system after seeing the

. In short I came to the conclusion that some of the ebay ads were probably lies, and the kid in the video isn't especially trustworthy either... (he's the "I don't know, but I'll make something up" type and his
seem a bit worse) Note the guys in the "review" videos are just trying to sell this junk on a website. They probably figure we're pretty slow, and will a) believe a word said b) not notice the likely issues they seemed to intentionally avoid looking at. I've also seen too many devices with similar descriptions

Of course I'd really like a device like this (that actually works), since nintendo's own systems seem to require more regular repair than most, and generally working on them is more trouble than its worth. I just don't know why asia's been cloning it forever and still hasn't gotten it right yet. I've already spent hundreds on this type of junk and I'm sure I'm not alone.

oh wait...

video game central video is even better. drugs?

I sure better run over to their site and throw money at them...

Edited by Reaperman

I'd rather see someone manufacture some 'retro' consoles that are Atari compatible. Imagine a similar system that is instead a 2600 / 5200 combo system.

I know it won't happen, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

I'd rather see someone manufacture some 'retro' consoles that are Atari compatible. Imagine a similar system that is instead a 2600 / 5200 combo system.

I know it won't happen, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

I think the big problem is that asia doesn't care about ataris. I'm sure there are many other little excuses, but the big one is that nobody over there would buy one, and I'm not sure america really cares much more. I'd really love to see an atari 800 or commodore 64 based computer/console, but it's not likely either. (you might think so with the c64, but not so much really)

And I really hate to sound down on the retro duo. If it works as advertised, let us know. But I've gotten my hopes up before for systems that had color issues and 'ruggedized' sound.

What I don't understand, is that I keep hearing that NES systems were just off the shelf parts...so why not reconstruct the system using the same parts instead of using these questionable on-a-chip systems? Out of the sea of clones, why hasn't one tried to actually reproduce the system to set themselves apart? And really, why are they bothering to put cart slots in these when many are pirate systems anyhow, and we'd rather use modern media like SD?

of course I don't know why nintendo themselves isn't seeing this as the huge and profitable market it is and isn't supporting it with the remanufacture of a better version of the NES system, new accessories, rerelease of old games, and new 8-bit game development.

old games cost less to develop and many, many people would rather play a new 8-bit mario than whatever nintendo's selling now. There's a whole industry that popped up around 8-bit nintendo games and for some reason the only competitor with an obvious advantage is totally ignoring the situation. But they'll sell me a port of super mario 1 on just about every nintendo I own--it's really hard to guess what nintendo will choose to cash in on.

Edited by Reaperman

I got my Retro Duo in the mail last Friday. I plugged it in on Saturday and checked it out.

The reason I bought the Retro Duo, despite owning an SNES and an NES, was that I'd run out of room on my gaming desk. It already contained an Atari 8-bit, two XF551's, an Intellivision, a TG-16, an Atari 2600, and the monitor. There was just enough room left in one cubby hole for the SNES, but not the NES, especially with the silly side-mounted A/V jacks. So I opted for this Retro Duo, figuring that for 50 bucks it was worth a try.

I've only tried to play SMB, SMB2, Nobunaga's Ambition, RC Pro Am, and Super Mario World. And in those cases, I was just testing it to see what would happen, and didn't play any of them for more than a few minutes. But here's what I found:

The S-video only works for the SNES. The composite output works in either NES or SNES mode. I hooked 'em both up, using my a/v switch that will handle both modes in one input block so no splitting of the audio is necessary.

Once it was all hooked up I was definitely pleased with the SNES mode S-video output. However, the composite NES mode output looks less than ideal to my eye, even for composite. But I haven't hooked up my front-loader to compare yet, so I don't know if it's the same or not.

The system uses SNES controllers exclusively, which is fine, but in NES mode I found it irritating that it uses the Y & B buttons instead of the easier to use and more logical A & B combination. Not a real problem with the joypads, but I use a Super Advantage controller and there it's a bit of a pain.

Oh, one thing that I didn't see mentioned in the videos and other reviews: it includes all cables needed - S-video, composite, and stereo audio, in addition to two joypads and the power adapter (a small 'wall wart' style with a short cord -- 3' or so I would guess).

So, all in all, for my purpose it seems to be a good compromise. I'll feel better about it once I've tried all my games in it, and once I've checked its NES output against a real NES.

Edited by Ransom

oh wait...
video game central video is even better. drugs?

I sure better run over to their site and throw money at them...

That really made me laugh because I know that guy in the video. Videogame Central used to be called GamesUSA and they had a shop right down the street from me. I'd be in there every weekend looking for stuff so we used to talk. Then one day I go to my buddies annual 4th of July barbeque and there is the Videogame Central guy.

As for drugs... yeah that would be my guess.

What I don't understand, is that I keep hearing that NES systems were just off the shelf parts...so why not reconstruct the system using the same parts instead of using these questionable on-a-chip systems? Out of the sea of clones, why hasn't one tried to actually reproduce the system to set themselves apart? And really, why are they bothering to put cart slots in these when many are pirate systems anyhow, and we'd rather use modern media like SD?

of course I don't know why nintendo themselves isn't seeing this as the huge and profitable market it is and isn't supporting it with the remanufacture of a better version of the NES system, new accessories, rerelease of old games, and new 8-bit game development.

old games cost less to develop and many, many people would rather play a new 8-bit mario than whatever nintendo's selling now. There's a whole industry that popped up around 8-bit nintendo games and for some reason the only competitor with an obvious advantage is totally ignoring the situation. But they'll sell me a port of super mario 1 on just about every nintendo I own--it's really hard to guess what nintendo will choose to cash in on.

Nintendo has tapped into this market. It's called the Virtual Console on the Wii. There's not enough money to be made for Nintendo by re-releasing a 8-bit system and cartridge games to go along with it.

If you want new 8-bit games, you can always download flash games and play them on your pc.

a short time ago when I noticed these popping up, I decided not to buy this system after seeing the
. In short I came to the conclusion that some of the ebay ads were probably lies, and the kid in the video isn't especially trustworthy either... (he's the "I don't know, but I'll make something up" type and his
seem a bit worse) Note the guys in the "review" videos are just trying to sell this junk on a website. They probably figure we're pretty slow, and will a) believe a word said b) not notice the likely issues they seemed to intentionally avoid looking at. I've also seen too many devices with similar descriptions

Yeah, did you happen to catch the slip-up toward the end? It starts off with him saying "Yeah, it even works with Super Mario RPG, which a lot of the remakes don't." And then after the cut, he says something to the effect of "Yeah, uh, the reason Super Mario RPG stopped working was..." Oh, brother. Stuff like this does not give me confidence in these consoles (Which, BTW, it seems that VGC is trying to pretend they invented, judging by the way they keep wording their pitch).

It'd be funny if they didn't think they were so damned cool.

Yeah, did you happen to catch the slip-up toward the end? It starts off with him saying "Yeah, it even works with Super Mario RPG, which a lot of the remakes don't." And then after the cut, he says something to the effect of "Yeah, uh, the reason Super Mario RPG stopped working was..." Oh, brother.

no, but I'm sure I'll rewatch it when I need a chuckle.

I think my favorite is the s-video BS at the beginning.

What he meant to say is "Retro Duo can't use S-video in NES mode because the guys who create noacs were too lazy to separate the video signal and the retro duo designers didn't give a rats behind" rather than the comment that was made about s-video not being around back in the NES days. Humor? I laughed anyway...

I also believe there's huge profit waiting for big N in the 8-bit market, far above what's being made on VC. Systems that sell for 5-10 times what it costs to make them, games already written selling for $10-20 and it's a market that doesn't even compete with their precious wii or DS. and a manufacturer's dream--I dare say Nintendo could give some of the greedier used game shops a real run for their money by rereleasing, and they're really the only outfit in any position to do it. Even if most are just web sales.

Edited by Reaperman

I also believe there's huge profit waiting for big N in the 8-bit market, far above what's being made on VC.

I've tossed this idea around many times. Thing is, it just seems that hardware is a can of worms that no one really wants to open. It's one thing for a chinese company to churn out a jillion famiclones at $29.99 a pop-- they cut corners and can live with a 97% compatibility rate. But Nintendo, if they were to do it, would certainly strive for the best hardware possible, which is going to come at a price premium, even for 25-year-old tech. Of course, that's what people like you and I would want: a fully-functional repro. But would Nintendo be able to make it cheap enough to compete with the FC twin and still keep a profit?

I don't know, but judging by the fact that it hasn't happened, I'm betting that Nintendo has considered this possibility and is less than 100% confident in the outcome. Besides, after you sell the hardware, you need to sell the games too-- and Nintendo can't count on everyone having a closet full of NES games. So... what do they do? Make new games? Bear in mind the industry got away from carts for a reason: they're expensive to make and turnaround time is slow. If Nintendo doesn't make their estimate on how many would sell VERY accurate, they'd stand to lose a lot of money.

Still, at the end of it all, I think there is an opportunity here. Nintendo could release an NES3, which I'd envision to be in a similar vein as the Generation NEX. It could sell for $34.99. (I want to say $29.99, but I'm counting on the real-deal hardware being more expensive) With the cost of ROMs as low as they are today, they could release 10-packs of games for about $19.99 each. Bundles could be had-- the system, two controllers, and two 10-game paks for $99.99. Most importantly: this should be marketed like the Jakks sticks or the Atari Flashback, as an impulse-buy item for nostalgia buffs. It wouldn't need to share the same shelf space as the Wii.

I want this to happen, I really do-- but there is a lot going against it.

The S-video only works for the SNES. The composite output works in either NES or SNES mode.

There's a thread over at DP where someone says that the NES side does output s-video, and he has some comparison screenshots.

thanks for the link. My opinion is very slowly starting to change toward the positive. We tend to be pretty heavy audio/video snobs here, myself included, so I think ransom's initial video impressions still resonate most strongly with me right now. And the DP review mentioning some nes sound issues... The compatibility news is pretty good to hear though. That's not bad compatibility at all.

Edited by Reaperman