IGNORED

Who wants to see a 128K + 16K RAM PCB being made?

CPUWIZ

Who wants to see a 128K + 16K RAM PCB being made?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Hell yeah!
    • Hell no!
    • A what?
  2. 2. Would this be useful to homebrewers?

• Yep.
    • Nah, too lazy to code something that big.
    • Home what?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Yes please. I said it'd be useful for homebrews, but I don't actually know anything about that. I just said "yes" to make you think there were more reasons to make it. Just in case those awesome shooters and potentially a later version of Rampart if it is found aren't enough reasons.

As a 7800 homebrew dabbler (so far...) I'd say a definite yes for homebrew development. You almost need extra RAM if you want to use a scrolling tilemap (since the docs say the character map has to be in RAM...is that true?) and graphics can take a lot of room very quickly.

I mean, sheesh, several 32K+ homebrews have been written for the 2600, it isn't that much of a stretch to need at least double that for a 7800 homebrew.

I'm not a homebrewer so I'm not sure how much merit my opinion has. I would like see Sirus and Plutos in cart form and what ever portotype 7800 games found in the future.

This also could help homebrewers make bigger games for the system.

I know homebrewers know can make bigger games for the 7800. They can do that with the Cuttle Cart 2. However, they can't put into a regular cart because there aren't any boards that can handle larger games, yet.

All in all I bet this board will see more use as a means of reproduction than new large homebrewings though. Which is good cause puting a 1meg or 2meg chip into a 28 pin pcb is a bit of a bitch if your doing a bunch of them.

Dunno, the count is at only 32, hardly worth even investing hundreds of dollars in it.

Dunno, the count is at only 32, hardly worth even investing hundreds of dollars in it.

But the people who voted "yes" would probably buy a copy of Plutos and Sirius, so their vote should probably count twice too. ;)

And maybe you should mention this poll in the Plutos/Sirius thread. Not everyone asking for cart versions of those games being made might know that a 128K + 16K RAM PCB needs to be developed for that to happen.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I'm not a homebrewer so I'm not sure how much merit my opinion has. I would like see Sirus and Plutos in cart form and what ever portotype 7800 games found in the future.

This also could help homebrewers make bigger games for the system.

I know homebrewers know can make bigger games for the 7800. They can do that with the Cuttle Cart 2. However, they can't put into a regular cart because there aren't any boards that can handle larger games, yet.

Not everybody has a CC2. ;)

And a lot of the motivation for doing the work to make a homebrew is seeing an actual cart with your game on it. A lot. Knowing that a bunch of people added it to their CC2 isn't quite the same...

All in all I bet this board will see more use as a means of reproduction than new large homebrewings though. Which is good cause puting a 1meg or 2meg chip into a 28 pin pcb is a bit of a bitch if your doing a bunch of them.

So how big of a count would you want to consider it worth it?

Allan

So how big of a count would you want to consider it worth it?

Allan

I dunno, 100 maybe? It's safe to say that 20% of the people who vote wouldn't buy one in the end anyway.

I know I would buy a few and attempt a large game (If I ever get the time) :(

... although only with an 8K chip (I have a bunch of those from old 'Jinks' carts around). It's too difficult to find a 16/32K RAM chip, and you don't want to rip apart a Summer/Winder Games cart for that. They're not exactly common.

I wonder if accessing the On-Board RAM is faster or slower than using the RAM in the 7800?

Make it 33, I'll take one!

... although only with an 8K chip (I have a bunch of those from old 'Jinks' carts around). It's too difficult to find a 16/32K RAM chip, and you don't want to rip apart a Summer/Winder Games cart for that. They're not exactly common.

I haven't looked recently, but I don't think it's hard to find 32KB SRAM chips for sale from an online distributor like Jameco or digikey.

Actually, for personal development you could just convert a *Games cart to use Flash or an EPROM. I can understand wanting a custom PCB for mass production though. I tried converting my Winter Games to Flash, but I don't think it works correctly with Maria's character mode. Converting to EPROM should be easier, I think there's a "jumper" already on the board for that. The only hassle would be hooking up the 32-pin socket.

I haven't looked recently, but I don't think it's hard to find 32KB SRAM chips for sale from an online distributor like Jameco or digikey.

Actually, for personal development you could just convert a *Games cart to use Flash or an EPROM. I can understand wanting a custom PCB for mass production though. I tried converting my Winter Games to Flash, but I don't think it works correctly with Maria's character mode. Converting to EPROM should be easier, I think there's a "jumper" already on the board for that. The only hassle would be hooking up the 32-pin socket.

Thanks - I actually already did the eprom/Winter Games way for Plutos (don't kill me - I did used the 'silent' version though, as I got a replacement version with sound) But IMHO that's not a way to go in the future to make multiple versions of these new games. Anything that's beyond a 2 rarity should be careful to how many are being converted, and anything beyond a 4 flat out should not be converted. Again, IMHO.

Are the 32KB SRAM chips the same pinout as the one Atari used? If that's the case then of course that's fine. :)

Bob