IGNORED

Looks like Actionauts is ready

Mayhem

Well it for me right i just drop some cash on some import games as well i bought a new car to drive. :)

Yeah, I was just joking. I just spent $200 to put a new starter in my car and $100 to fill up my cars this week. Too bad this game did not come out eight years ago when gas us at $1.00 a gallon.

Just sent my money. Price does seem steep, then again there aren't that many chances to get a new Rob Fulop game. Fortunately I found NES Dragon Warrior IV and a Hero Quest board game at the flea market this morning for a total of $5...those are headed to eBay to pay for this ;)

According to the email he will release the rom later this year. I think I'm going to wait for that.

Tempest

Yeah, I'll let people know when the binary is out there.

My first "batch" is 100 carts ... over 50 have been ordered so far since I sent out the email about 90 minutes ago. I'll post when the first batch runs out ... and will stop taking orders until I've sent out the first batch carts and have the next 100 ready. I don't know when that will be.

Buy or buy not. There is no cry. ;-)

It's very generous of Rob to make the binary available later for those who cannot afford an actual cart. That's alright in my book. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Rob is being great to be releasing the rom. Obviously with the current sales in 90 minutes, there is a market for the game, so go for it.

If I might suggest, you could hold say 20 carts back, release the rom, and let those who may be holding off the chance to play the game in emulation and decide whether they want the game enough to buy your cartridge. That is of course you don't sell out right away. Good Luck with sales.

I just bought one too. Apparently the $10 postage doesn't even include priority shipping.

LOL

I'm not really a "merchant". It's not like I'm set up to be in the mail order business on a regular basis. I'm doing this myself simply because a lot of people told me that they get a kick out of dealing directly with the author of something like this .. no other reason.

Regarding shipping/handling costs ...

$3 PayPal / cc processing

$3.45 Postage

$0.65 Mailer

Each unit is hand customized as follows :

I sign and number each cart

I sign and number each box

I hand write and personalize a post it note and stick it inside each manual

I'm doing these things because I figured this level of personalization adds value to the collector who purchases something like this.

If you have a problem, I'll return $5 to you, and skip the personalization part. It's a true hassle from my end, and adds the bulk of the time to getting these out there.

Just let me know and I'll refund $5 to you straight away.

Peace,

Rob

Edited by rob fulop

I just bought one too. Apparently the $10 postage doesn't even include priority shipping.

LOL

I'm hardly a merchant, seriously.

$3.45 Postage

$0.65 Mailer

I'm doing these things because I figured this level of personalization adds value to the collector who purchases something like this.

If you have a problem, I'll return $5 to you, and skip the personalization part. It's a true hassle from my end, and adds the bulk of the time to getting these out there.

Peace,

Rob

mailer? are these being shipping in a bubble mailer? or box?

rick

I'm in for $90. I'm really glad Rob went to all the effort, and I look at it like my special edition Qb with the custom box or my Cuttle Cart 2 -- an investment in something special and a keystone piece for my collection. I've picked up a number of deals like this over the years, and so far, I haven't regrettted any of them.

Buy or buy not. There is no cry. ;-)

It's very generous of Rob to make the binary available later for those who cannot afford an actual cart. That's alright in my book. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Rob is being great to be releasing the rom. Obviously with the current sales in 90 minutes, there is a market for the game, so go for it.

If I might suggest, you could hold say 20 carts back, release the rom, and let those who may be holding off the chance to play the game in emulation and decide whether they want the game enough to buy your cartridge. That is of course you don't sell out right away. Good Luck with sales.

Yours is not a bad suggestion .. I considered this. Ultimately though, Actionauts is NOT about the actual play experience ... it's a 'collectors package' that includes a new game to play ... but people should not consider purchasing if their primary interest is simply playing a new 2600 game. I really do NOT want somebody to purchase a copy of Actionauts, and then be disappointed that the play experience is not as deep or as addicting as their short list of favorites. There should be some reviews of the game up shortly after the early purchasers get their copy ... such will help make the 'hold outs' decision easier, I would imagine.

LOL

I'm hardly a merchant, seriously.

$3.45 Postage

$0.65 Mailer

Peace,

Rob

mailer? are these being shipping in a bubble mailer? or box?

rick

box, sorry. am using the same mailing boxes that Albert uses when shipping carts. It's sturdy, and then filled with peanuts to keep the game box from rattling around.

$3.45 Postage

$0.65 Mailer

How much would it cost to use priority-mail boxes (hmm... just looked it up). If the package is 1lb or less, it would be $4.60 for two-day shipping, including the box.

they are very flimsy ... albert cautioned against using them as carts could arrive with some damage .. so i took him on his word.

Ultimately though, Actionauts is NOT about the actual play experience ... it's a 'collectors package' that includes a new game to play ... but people should not consider purchasing if their primary interest is simply playing a new 2600 game.

As someone who helped with this release, I should clarify that.

In preparing the Actionauts release, I was somewhat torn between conflicting objectives:

-1- Provide a historical glimpse into the game as it was in 1983.

-2- Provide something with enough play value to show what Actionauts could have been as a real game.

Had I been developing this as my own game, I would probably have included 20-50 levels, or maybe more, and would have added some more features, goodies, etc. (e.g. allowed the robot's bullets to do something when they hit certain targets, etc.) Indeed, it might have been possible to hack the prototype to manage such things if I went to an 8K cartridge.

This is supposed to be Rob's 1983 game, though; to make many such changes would have gotten away from that.

Therefore, I decided to settle on adding some new levels that should offer some real challenge, while fixing a couple of bugs in most instances (leaving one so that people who want to see how the original code could malfunction can still do so). I would think it would take some hours of thought and experimentation to figure out all my levels, but I'll readily admit that once that is done there's not really much else to do.

If someone is looking for gameplay, one could buy Thrust+, Toyshop Trouble, and Ladybug, all for the price of Actionauts, and end up with a lot more play value. On the other hand, the new levels do provide some real play experience.