IGNORED

Jag files and other

Tweety

Maybe a strange question for most of you out there, but what can I do with jag files.

Are these for Jaguar emulators?

Or some data files to burn to a CD?

Then there are those Nero/discjuggler? files, I don't have a Windows computer I have a Mac PPC, and up to now, I couldn't burn any of those files. So maybe a conversion would be possible? ISO file?

Maybe a strange question for most of you out there, but what can I do with jag files.

It depends. Some are cartridge ROM images, to be used with emulators, Alpine Boards or Flash cartridges. Others are Jaguar executables which run in RAM (i.e. almost all homebrews) ; to use them, you need either an emulator, or special devices for your Jaguar (a cable to connect the Jaguar to your computer, and either the BJL ROM, the BJL CD, Protector:SE or JUGS).

Then there are those Nero/discjuggler? files, I don't have a Windows computer I have a Mac PPC, and up to now, I couldn't burn any of those files. So maybe a conversion would be possible? ISO file?
They can't be converted to ISO files, as Jaguar CDs are multisession. Sorry, I don't know how to burn them on a Mac.

If you are talking about '.jag' files, they are all homebrew files that require

at least a BJL setup.

I assume you have the Jag CD as you are asking about ISO's.

(Oh and do us all a favor....lets not make illegal copies of anything,

in case this was your intention for asking..and no, this is not an

accusation, just a reminder to those that need it....and they know

who they are.)

You need a parallel port to Jag cable, a BJL moded jag OR a CD burn version of BJL, an

Alpine dev kit, J.U.G.S., JagServer, or Protector SE.

There are a lot of PD stuff for the Jaguar, mostly .jag files and some in nero cd format.

I have no intention to do any illegal, I heard that there are enough Jaguar game copy's around :pirate: , but I don't have any idea were to get them. ( <100% honest answer).

Although it would be nice to make an copy of my own original to keep it in optimal condition, but back to topic...

So I need to buy the game Protector SE ? And I just didn't want to buy it, because I already have the Normal Protector game when it first came out.

And those BJL or jugs or whatever... Never heard of it. :ponder:

Then I need to buy one Special Edition game... Looks like the movie DVD market, once you buy the normal DVD, later comes the special edition version, then later there is the Director's Cut edition, and then later there is an Ultimate edition followed later by the Final edition and now the movie is a Blu-Ray version. :D ;) <sigh>

Is there an website with some setup screenshots with that Protector SE setup, or something else...

There are a lot of PD stuff for the Jaguar, mostly .jag files and some in nero cd format.

I have no intention to do any illegal, I heard that there are enough Jaguar game copy's around :pirate: , but I don't have any idea were to get them. ( <100% honest answer).

Although it would be nice to make an copy of my own original to keep it in optimal condition, but back to topic...

So I need to buy the game Protector SE ? And I just didn't want to buy it, because I already have the Normal Protector game when it first came out.

And those BJL or jugs or whatever... Never heard of it. :ponder:

Then I need to buy one Special Edition game... Looks like the movie DVD market, once you buy the normal DVD, later comes the special edition version, then later there is the Director's Cut edition, and then later there is an Ultimate edition followed later by the Final edition and now the movie is a Blu-Ray version. :D ;) <sigh>

Is there an website with some setup screenshots with that Protector SE setup, or something else...

I have only used the Jag Server, BLJ ROM version( you have to mod the jag) and

an Alpine. The rest I would not know. Im sure there is something around about SE though.

If you have a JagCD, the cheapest option is to have a friend burn you Belboz's BJL CD image on a CD-R.

You'll also need a special cable to connect the computer to the Jaguar :

http://www.mdgames.de/bjl_wire.gif

http://atari-jaguar64.larshannig.com/prog_info/bjlfaq.html (ignore the part about changing the EPROM in your Jaguar, you don't need it if you use the CD)

The trouble is that there's no version of the BJL uploading program that will work on a Mac, AFAIK.

(JUGS may or may not support the Mac, I don't know).

Thanks, I had better make a cable then :D

From what I seen with shielding problems people have hadwith the do it yourself jobs it may be better just to get a standard parallel cable and buy a bjl adaptor. They'e cheap enough.

That's the truth. for the life of me, I couldn't get my home-made adapter to work so I ended up just buying one from that one site.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party here but if you don't have the Jag CD add on, does that mean you need to "change the EPROM in your Jaguar" ??

Is there anyone on AtariAge that does the Jaguar modification for a fee?

Man I need to get the CD add on... I wish I could spend less than a $100 though :(

who they are.)

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything but how is it illegal to burn a cd of a file downloaded for a dead system that has no official commercial sales any longer?

Are you saying I can't back up my own games, cds and dvds? or is this about media I don't own... and if I did go buy it for the Jaguar, it would be used on ebay since I can't buy it new at Gamestop or Amazon... what's the difference exactly? Are you talking morality or actual legality?

Again, just playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I just don't understand some of the hard core anti-piracy talk for dead systems and I would like to understand your point of view.

I'm late to the party here but if you don't have the Jag CD add on, does that mean you need to "change the EPROM in your Jaguar" ??
Either that, or (if you're not comfortable tinkering with electronics) you can buy the Protector : Special Edition cartridge, which includes a BJL loader.

Thanks for the tip! excellent!!

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

who they are.)

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything but how is it illegal to burn a cd of a file downloaded for a dead system that has no official commercial sales any longer?

Are you saying I can't back up my own games, cds and dvds? or is this about media I don't own... and if I did go buy it for the Jaguar, it would be used on ebay since I can't buy it new at Gamestop or Amazon... what's the difference exactly? Are you talking morality or actual legality?

Again, just playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I just don't understand some of the hard core anti-piracy talk for dead systems and I would like to understand your point of view.

Either that, or (if you're not comfortable tinkering with electronics) you can buy the Protector : Special Edition cartridge, which includes a BJL loader.

Thanks for the tip! excellent!!

Those who have dealt with this situation are much more knowledgeable about it than I, but from what I understand, copyright takes a looooooong time to expire, so it doesn't matter if the system or games will make any money -- it's still illegal.

The biggest issue would be pirating the newer releases that homebrewers (whether professional or hobbyist) create. That is taking money away from them.

The older games isn't necessarily as much of an issue as far as monetary gain is concerned, but in all reality, the fact that money wouldn't be going to the old original devs doesn't negate the legality issues :) So it's really a morality issue as well as a legal one.

who they are.)

Well I don't know about a smart ass but I always have my reservations about someone who complains about

someone complaining about people stealing shit they should'nt. Makes them look guilty.

Analogy:

If I have a working lawnmower in my shed, and I have not used it in 20 years and you come

along and take it without asking or paying for it, is that not stealing?

Now a question for you .....How is copying ISO's you do not own without paying for them or

getting permission NOT stealing? Let's not change the subject and cloud the issue.

No one is complaining about people making backups of the stuff they own. It's when you start

distributing them or download them when you DONT own them or had no permission or never

paid for them.

Don't you think the owners would like to be paid even if its a million years old? Have you ever

spent the time to write a game? Try it sometime for a system as difficult as the Jaguar is and

then come back in a few years and tell me how you feel about us anti-piracy advocates.

Well I don't know about a smart ass but I always have my reservations about someone who complains about

someone complaining about people stealing shit they should'nt. Makes them look guilty.

that really doesn't add anything to the debate and it pretty much made reading the rest of what you had to say impossible for me.

I'll just drop it and we can agree to disagree, or not. up to you. hell, at this point I don't even know if we disagree, sorry i brought it up.

that really doesn't add anything to the debate and it pretty much made reading the rest of what you had to say impossible for me.

I'll just drop it and we can agree to disagree, or not. up to you. hell, at this point I don't even know if we disagree, sorry i brought it up.

About 90% of everyone who asks this kind of thing asks it because they are guilty of it. If you take things that do not belong to you

you are stealing no?