IGNORED

De Re Pac-Man: new find

Philsan

I have received some programs transferred years ago to PC and I have found De Re Pac-Man, an interesting Basic/ML game.

post-12528-1210174078_thumb.png

I have searched the well-known software websites but I haven't found it so I have decided to post it here (I have inserted it in an autobooting .atr image).

DeRePacMan.zip

Edited by Philsan
  • Like 3

I have received some programs transferred years ago to PC and I have found De Re Pac-Man, an interesting Basic/ML game.

I have searched the well-known software websites but I haven't found it so I have decided to post it here (I have inserted it in an autobooting .atr image).

Very nice find! Thanks!

F.

I've not seen or heard of this PacMan cloan either. It's quite impressive being partly Basic. Another new one for AtariMania

This is a gorgeous looking clone. Plays very smoothly.

Too bad Pac-Man can't stay ahead of the ghosts at turns.

- Steve Sheppard.

Edited by a8isa1

• 8 years later...

Here's a COM version I found in my stuff, named to xex to allow the upload....Should work either way, and tested in Altirra fine.

Also found a BAS file version in my lot which also names the creator...Works in Altirra...

De Re Pac-Man (1984).xex

De Re Pac-Man (1984)(Wang, Bi-Chong)(US)(PD).bas

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifatari000.png

Thanks for sharing. You missed the best site for Atari software: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-de-re-pac-man_20742.html

I found this game while looking for a Pac-Man version that is better than Atari's release. (Now, of course, we have Pac-Man Arcade!)

EDIT: I just realized this post is from 2008. Maybe it was here before it was on Atarimania. I am not sure. Chicken-Egg thing going on.

This is an interesting port, but I never understood the purpose of programming a clone of Atari's own release. What makes it even worse is that it's not as good as the official.

The monsters tend to zero in on Pac-Man, instead of alternating like the arcade or Atari original. With such unforgiving collision detection and crippled cornering, it's really not much fun.

I pushed myself to finish the strawberry level. No intermission cut scenes. :(

In fact, when I finally made it to a fruit (Pac-Man moves so slow), I found out there's not even a gulp sound.

Interesting find though. I think this would have been a cool project to see finished: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/132028-new-attempt-at-pacman/?hl=+pac#8208man=

Tep392's Pac-Man Arcade is the top right now: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259488-atari-400800xlxe-pac-man-arcade/?do=findComment&comment=3639839

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

De Re Pac-man "gots back". Ghosts have directional detail and more detailed fruit than Atari's. It's always intriguing to see the detail that Atari left out - not to mention the cool animated Inky Blinky Pinky & Clyde intro screen.

Atari didn't "leave out" the directional detail. The arcade monsters did not face any direction while blue. I did notice that about this version, and it's kind of cool; but it's not arcade accurate. It wouldn't have been appropriate for Atari to modify the scared monsters for a direct port.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. You missed the best site for Atari software: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-de-re-pac-man_20742.html

I found this game while looking for a Pac-Man version that is better than Atari's release. (Now, of course, we have Pac-Man Arcade!)

EDIT: I just realized this post is from 2008. Maybe it was here before it was on Atarimania. I am not sure. Chicken-Egg thing going on.

Exactly ah ah. I was not a newbie and I knew Atarimania back then...

In fact De Re Pac-Man was added on Atarimania after my post.

• Like 1