IGNORED

Why won't Space Shuttle run on a 7800?

shadow460

Figured I'd ask here since it's a VCS game.

Is it due to the type of switches or something else? Space Shuttle booted fine on my 7800. My unit has been fitted with a TV Type switch, so if that's the only obstacle, I guess I'm good to go.

Is it due to the type of switches or something else? Space Shuttle booted fine on my 7800. My unit has been fitted with a TV Type switch, so if that's the only obstacle, I guess I'm good to go.

Well you see, the space shuttle is actually designed to run on two solid fuel tanks, and one liquid fuel. 7800 just isn't that combustible, so it makes poor fuel. I hope this helps.

AX

Well you see, the space shuttle is actually designed to run on two solid fuel tanks, and one liquid fuel. 7800 just isn't that combustible, so it makes poor fuel. I hope this helps.

AX

LOL

It's known that certain games using FE bankswitching may not work on 7800 models with a timing kludge intended to fix compatibility with 2600 Dark Chambers. But that said, it isn't clear why Space Shuttle would be affected, as it uses F8, not FE, and other F8 games are not affected by the timing circuit.

Or, is there a FE version of Space Shuttle that hasn't been dumped yet?

AX

Well, now hold on a bit. If we convert the Boosters to Hybrid, by replacing the APCP fuel with NoX, then you actually can use the 7800 as fuel. Of course we would need thousands of them, and have to melt the cases down and form them into a tube, but it would work...

It's known that certain games using FE bankswitching may not work on 7800 models with a timing kludge intended to fix compatibility with 2600 Dark Chambers. But that said, it isn't clear why Space Shuttle would be affected, as it uses F8, not FE, and other F8 games are not affected by the timing circuit.

Or, is there a FE version of Space Shuttle that hasn't been dumped yet?

I could dump some of mine. I doubt they would switch bankswitching (no pun intended) though? You got a nice little dumper you made too, Batari. I was looking at that, and it looked pretty sweet. Handles FE too IIRC. Do you have some Space Shuttles? I'll try some of mine later on but I think you are right they are all F8.

Edited by Omegamatrix

Well I just dumped three different Space Shuttles (two white labels, and a similar blue text label). All were F8. When I forced my dumper to FE I got garbage. I'm pretty sure this was only released as F8.

The PAL version of Space Shuttle uses FE bankswitching, so the original NTSC version probably did too. But that would have to be one of the older picture label carts instead of the newer text labels.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I bought my Space Shuttle, new from Hill's department store in 1989. It is a particularly painful memory, since I lost a $5 bill on the way to go get it from the game section. Would you believe I never played it on a 2600!? I had a coleco with the 2600 adapter expansion #1. I got plenty of use out of it, and let me tell ya, it worked great.

AX

Well I just dumped three different Space Shuttles (two white labels, and a similar blue text label). All were F8. When I forced my dumper to FE I got garbage. I'm pretty sure this was only released as F8.

The PAL version of Space Shuttle uses FE bankswitching, so the original NTSC version probably did too. But that would have to be one of the older picture label carts instead of the newer text labels.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I have a picture label version. Would the dump from DevOS help out?

Here;s the dump of my cart using the line

7800ctrl -t26F8 filename.bin

which should work if it's an F8 bankswitched cart.

I renamed it to shuttle.bin and tried loading it into Stella. The screen rolled. I don't know how to load it back into the RAM cart to try it on actual hardware, though.

EDIT: I removed the dump, since it was dumped with the wrong bankswitching method. Read on...

Edited by shadow460

I have a picture label version. Would the dump from DevOS help out?

Definitely. I don't have a picture version anymore (I looked). If Eckhard suspisions are right it is quite possible there is a FE version out there. The thing is who knows when they switched if there is? It could be two identical pic labels would have two different roms. The only way to find out is to dump them.

It works in Stella 2.5 (one of the newer versions). It auto-detected it as FE and opened it up right away. When I forced it to F8 bankswitching it failed. It works in Z26 when it is forced it to FE. You can get it to work in Stella if you have an older version by forcing it to FE I'm sure. BTW I see a half white line at the top of the logo on Stella, but it is not there in Z26. I think it is an emulator issue. Do you see it on the screen with real hardware (on a regular 2600)?

-----------------Stella----------------------------------Z26-----------------------

post-7074-1211336726_thumb.pngpost-7074-1211336931_thumb.png

Anyhow I'm glad you did multiple dumps. It turned out some of the dumps were bad (this happens to me too a lot), but this is the good one.

Space_Shuttle__FE_Bankswitching__NTSC.bin

Thank you Shadow!! :cool: I'm going to post this in a thread I have about roms.

~Omega

And then there was two. Oh well.

Mitch

No No, the more the better, Mitch. It can be tricky with these FE carts cause you can't test it with a Krok cart. Maybe a Cuttle Cart I'm not sure. I'm really glad you did this. :)

I think you got more dumps on your hardrive you've forgotten about then people think exist. :P

And then there was two. Oh well.

Mitch

No No, the more the better, Mitch. It can be tricky with these FE carts cause you can't test it with a Krok cart. Maybe a Cuttle Cart I'm not sure. I'm really glad you did this. :)

I think you got more dumps on your hardrive you've forgotten about then people think exist. :P

Actually I just dumped it a couple minutes before I posted it. I did take a minute to test it on my CC2 first to make sure it was good though. :)

Mitch