IGNORED

The Official Wii Fit Topic

Tempest

Rather than have two or three Wii Fit topics, I thought it might be better to just condense them all into one. Who made this topic official? I did, that's who! (blatant abuse of power...)

I spent about two hours playing around with Wii Fit tonight. The exercises are pretty fun, and I feel like I could have gone on longer had I not had other things that I needed to do. I'm mostly sticking to the aerobic exercises since my goal is to lose weight, plus I find them more fun than the other exercises. My favorite so far is the step aerobics, but I'm sure the hula hoop one takes off the most calories as I'm almost dead by the time I finish. And thanks to my off Mii collection I was stair steppin' with Jesus and Dr. Zoidberg tonight. That was just freaky...

The Yoga stuff is interesting, but after doing the Tree pose I almost took a header right into my coffee table and decided that balance isn't my thing. I may try them again some time, but improving my balance is my least important desire right now.

The Strength exercises were interesting, but the seemed to be a bit unbalanced. Some of them were very difficult for me, while others I 4 starred with no problems. My biggest problem is that I don't have the room to do the ones that require you to lay out on the floor, so I can't do some of them. Others (like the push ups) were so brutal that I never went back to them after the first time. I'm also a bit miffed at how they place so much importance on balance. That's fine for the Yoga stuff, but why is it important for the Strength exercises?

I didn't really get into the Balance exercises too much since that's not very important to me (and I know my balance sucks), but ones I tried seemed fun. The soccer ball game seemed to respond too slow for me, but the tight rope walk was fun.

I unlocked a few new things today, but most of them were new Yoga and Strength exercises. I did unlock the island jog which I didn't get a chance to try, I might try that one next time. The jogging is a bit odd since it goes by how much your wii mote jiggles in your pocket which isn't very accurate IMHO. Also, where the heck are you supposed to put the wii mote when doing the other exercises? I usually just toss it on the floor, but it gets in the way alot.

My goal (which I set into the system) is to lose 20 pounds in 2 months. It should be interesting to see if that's possible.

Tempest

I'm also a bit miffed at how they place so much importance on balance. That's fine for the Yoga stuff, but why is it important for the Strength exercises?
For the same reason why the push-ups were so brutal. Without balance, you're not working the right muscles. You're shifting the load between different muscles and your skeletal frame. Which is fine if all you want to do is stand or lift. But if you actually want stronger muscles, you have to work those muscles. ;)

My goal (which I set into the system) is to lose 20 pounds in 2 months. It should be interesting to see if that's possible.
Unless you're severely overweight (e.g. 50-100 pounds over ideal), you might want to consider a more reasonable goal. At that rate, the system is going to have to near kill you to make it happen!

Whoops, I just posted in a non-official topic! Anyway, I have it and am looking to lose 7-10 pounds in the next 2 months, all from my beer belly. I am also going to cut down on drinking beer. That's a key as well. I am doing this because I run road races and that extra 10 pounds is killing me on the uphill climbs here in the hilly Bay area.

I have only had a chance to play it very briefly, but I like it a lot so far. It's very stat-geek friendly, that's for sure.

I bought it for the firming type exercises and so far I have not been disappointed. This combined with my usual training regimen should turn me into a lean mean running machine!

Whoops, I just posted in a non-official topic! Anyway, I have it and am looking to lose 7-10 pounds in the next 2 months, all from my beer belly. I am also going to cut down on drinking beer. That's a key as well. I am doing this because I run road races and that extra 10 pounds is killing me on the uphill climbs here in the hilly Bay area.

I have only had a chance to play it very briefly, but I like it a lot so far. It's very stat-geek friendly, that's for sure.

I bought it for the firming type exercises and so far I have not been disappointed. This combined with my usual training regimen should turn me into a lean mean running machine!

I found it easily at our Walmart this morning at 10:00 AM. They had about a dozen of them. I waited until my wife got home to open it up. Pretty happy with the purchase. She logged about 30 minutes on it - playing mostly the balance games and Aerobics. I have a pulled muscle from playing in an Alumni basket ball tourney, so I couldn't partipate yet, still limping after a month :(

Anyway, she loved it and I loved watching :)

Unless you're severely overweight (e.g. 50-100 pounds over ideal), you might want to consider a more reasonable goal. At that rate, the system is going to have to near kill you to make it happen!

It's probably a pipe dream, but we'll see how close I get. It's not like I get a Game Over screen if I don't meet the target. :D

I don't remember what my idea weight is supposed to be, but I'm 6'2" and weigh about 234 pounds. I think I'm supposed to be near the 200 mark.

Tempest

Beer does not make you fat. The condition of a "beer belly" is a wives tale.

I'm wondering if Nintendo has any plans for releasing DLC's in the future for WiiFit.

In a couple reviews of it, one comment I've repeatedly noticed is that the reviewers say that you can unlock all of the unlockables pretty fast, which (in their opinion) might take away some of the motivation for continued use of the system. I've read nothing so far about future DLC's, but then that isn't surprising since Nintendo can be pretty tight-lipped when it comes to its games.

The wife-unit really likes WiiFit and after spending about 45min with it last night, I must say I'm pretty impressed with the entire package. Looks like WiiFit will be getting a daily workout in my house.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

ok...there's plenty of Wii-fits, but no Wii's in my area. Sam's club had over 18 Wii-fits....at 5pm

My friend bought one of them, and from what she said, it's a lot of fun. I have more important things to buy before Wii-fit, but I imagine I'll have this within the next month.

This is straying a bit off-topic, but could I get some more info on how the beer belly is a "wives tale?" My doctor disagrees and was rather in-depth on how the body processes alcohol differently, about how beer contains loads of calories (7 calories in one gram of alchohol), and nicely detailed how consumption can lead to a belly, even with exercise. I know the internet often lies, but a quick search pulled up some similar comments:

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/1/3079_906

I guess the term "beer belly" is unfair as it really should be "alcohol belly," but it applies in my case because I LOVE BEER.

Luckily, I like Wii Fit, too!

I'm not exactly sure what the NY Times guy was expecting. It's not like Wii Fit is advertised as a complete homework out or anything, it's just a tool for helping people exercise. Workutainment?

I like this comment:

The Wii Fit doesn’t work my muscles a lot, but it does wear me out just enough that I haven’t been to the gym in a week. So I am now in slightly worse condition than I would be if I had never tried Wii Fit.

So the guy is out of shape and is complaining the Wii Fit made him too tired to go to the gym so now he's worse off? If Wii Fit made him that tired, I seriously doubt he was going to get a quality work out in a gym.

Wii Fit made me too lazy to do real exercise so now I'm fat. Damn you Wii Fit! Expect a call from my lawyer Nintendo! :roll:

Tempest

ok.. the "Wii Party" is probably one of the often used cliches on the net concerning the system where everyone, including non-game-playing seniors get up and try the Wii. However for me, it was always a load of shit as I've never personally seen one despite having the console since launch

Well, now I have, thanks to Wii Fit :lol:

Yeah over memorial day weekend sure enough most everyone in my family here (NONE of whom play games) all were trying their hand at the game and doing that friggin "Tree" yoga pose trying to best each other's scores. Doing the Hula Hoop, and playing the skiing and soccer games. It was funny as heck. I guess it really happens :P

This is straying a bit off-topic, but could I get some more info on how the beer belly is a "wives tale?" My doctor disagrees and was rather in-depth on how the body processes alcohol differently, about how beer contains loads of calories (7 calories in one gram of alchohol), and nicely detailed how consumption can lead to a belly, even with exercise. I know the internet often lies, but a quick search pulled up some similar comments:

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/1/3079_906

I guess the term "beer belly" is unfair as it really should be "alcohol belly," but it applies in my case because I LOVE BEER.

Luckily, I like Wii Fit, too!

If you want to lose a pound a week, write down EVERYTHING you eat. I mean everything. Figure out how many calories you are eating. Also write down every time you play Wii Fit. Exercise hardly burns any calories, but it's good for you at least.

Also, don't give up all beer -- just make sure when you do have one you are still under your calorie total for the day.

I lost 30 pounds of beer belly in 2006 sticking to 1500 calories a day. Including the occasional beer - it's quite the reward if you get yourself through dinner at ~1350 calories :) Yeah, you can add a few calories back by exercising, but I never added back more than 200. Since then, I have only gained 5 pounds back, which is awesome, if I may say so myself. Everything else you need to know is here.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Wii, but I love beer ;)

Edited by 128bytes

How do you know you jogged 4 miles? I wasn't aware that Wii-Fit kept track of the actual distance you virtually jogged in the running. I do a variety of things when I do Wii-Fit. I try to at least do one or two things from each category each day. And I make sure to get at least 30min in each day. Since starting it on Saturday...I've already lost more than 3 lbs. At this rate, I'll likely reach the BMI goal I set for myself in a one month time frame.

How do you know you jogged 4 miles? I wasn't aware that Wii-Fit kept track of the actual distance you virtually jogged in the running. I do a variety of things when I do Wii-Fit. I try to at least do one or two things from each category each day. And I make sure to get at least 30min in each day. Since starting it on Saturday...I've already lost more than 3 lbs. At this rate, I'll likely reach the BMI goal I set for myself in a one month time frame.

If you do Free Run (which is unlocked by doing the Island Run two times) it doesn't have a finish line, it just keeps track of how many miles you jogged in the time period you selected (10, 20, or 30 min). The Free Step is the same way, it keeps track of the total number of steps in the selected time.

I'm not sure how accurate the milage is, but it can't be too far off. I can casually walk a mile in about 13 minutes and jog a little over a mile in 10 according to Wii Fit. The virtual distance doesn't really matter though, it's the time you spend with it and if you're getting a good work out.

I've only been at Wii Fit for a few days since I was out of town over the holiday so I don't think I've lost much weight. My fiancee comes into town tomorrow for two weeks and I'm not sure I want to subject her to seeing my jog in place for an hour a night so I might get even less time in. There is a two person jog though that I've been meaning to try... :)

Tempest

Well, I reached the 2-week mark today and though maybe it was time to update my impressions of Wii Fit!

The one thing that has totally blown me away is the emphasis on balance. I had no idea it was such a crucial part of Wii Fit, even though they call it a "balance board." Duh on me. But in just 2 weeks my balance and posture has improved and, what's more, it's paying off in my running. I am now acutely aware of my balance when running, how my foot hits the ground, movement in my lower body and hips, and leaning forward and backward. (I had no idea until Wii Fit that I was putting too much weight on my heels.) The feedback has really helped me out.

However, as far as weight loss goes, I am still struggling. My BMI remains in the 24 range (in the two weeks it has ranged from 23.8 to 24.6, according to Wii Fit) and my weight has remained pretty much the same. I do like the awareness: I know exactly how much I weigh on any given day. My goal is set at 160 and I'm averaging about 165 so far.

As far as the exercises go, my favorite is the yoga, by far. I enjoy doing these type of things, but I hate the yoga "culture." Any guy who has ever been in a yoga class as the one man out of 20 total participants probably knows exactly what I am talking about. It's not exactly a friendly, nurturing environment in my experience. Plus, I sweat a lot and yoga girls find this disgusting. BUT! With Wii Fit in my own home I can do all the yoga I want and goddamn it I might sweat like a pig, but I am GOOD at it. It really does relax me.

I like the balance games as well. I do a lot of the Ski and Snowboard slaloms; they are challenging and loads of fun. I also enjoy the penguin on glacier catching fish deal--it's just such a warped and wacky idea that it works.

The Step exercises are a lot of fun. I unlocked the advanced one the other day and WOW. That is a workout, super fa

st.

I don't do much of the running because I'm doing about 5-6 miles on the road/trails every day anyway. Something about running in place just doesn't do it for me!

I have not missed a day yet, and the stamping the date after checking in for the body test gives me an inflated sense of accomplishment. It's odd that such a little thing can be such a motivator.

So, maybe a little bit of a ramble, but after 14 days I am still on board with a big thumbs up.

Also, I have REALLY cut my beer consumption. This will probably help even more than Wii Fit Hula Hooping...

Well, I reached the 2-week mark today and though maybe it was time to update my impressions of Wii Fit!

Bleh, I need to figure out how to get one of these in the Boston area.

My preorder strategy is terrible. I preorder things I don't need to, decide to wait on the things I need to preorder...

The one thing that has totally blown me away is the emphasis on balance. I had no idea it was such a crucial part of Wii Fit, even though they call it a "balance board." Duh on me. But in just 2 weeks my balance and posture has improved and, what's more, it's paying off in my running. I am now acutely aware of my balance when running, how my foot hits the ground, movement in my lower body and hips, and leaning forward and backward. (I had no idea until Wii Fit that I was putting too much weight on my heels.) The feedback has really helped me out.

However, as far as weight loss goes, I am still struggling. My BMI remains in the 24 range (in the two weeks it has ranged from 23.8 to 24.6, according to Wii Fit) and my weight has remained pretty much the same. I do like the awareness: I know exactly how much I weigh on any given day. My goal is set at 160 and I'm averaging about 165 so far.

As far as the exercises go, my favorite is the yoga, by far. I enjoy doing these type of things, but I hate the yoga "culture." Any guy who has ever been in a yoga class as the one man out of 20 total participants probably knows exactly what I am talking about. It's not exactly a friendly, nurturing environment in my experience. Plus, I sweat a lot and yoga girls find this disgusting. BUT! With Wii Fit in my own home I can do all the yoga I want and goddamn it I might sweat like a pig, but I am GOOD at it. It really does relax me.

I like the balance games as well. I do a lot of the Ski and Snowboard slaloms; they are challenging and loads of fun. I also enjoy the penguin on glacier catching fish deal--it's just such a warped and wacky idea that it works.

The Step exercises are a lot of fun. I unlocked the advanced one the other day and WOW. That is a workout, super fa

st.

I don't do much of the running because I'm doing about 5-6 miles on the road/trails every day anyway. Something about running in place just doesn't do it for me!

I have not missed a day yet, and the stamping the date after checking in for the body test gives me an inflated sense of accomplishment. It's odd that such a little thing can be such a motivator.

So, maybe a little bit of a ramble, but after 14 days I am still on board with a big thumbs up.

Also, I have REALLY cut my beer consumption. This will probably help even more than Wii Fit Hula Hooping...

That's really cool on the improvement in balance - something I hadn't thought about either.

Supposedly, if you can keep any habit going for a month, it becomes a routine. You are almost there :)

As for motivation - yeah, little things mean a lot. I use a free "eat watch" calculator on my Palm device where I put my weight in every day and it has a little graph on it - knowing I am in the "green zone" means that I am using more calories than I am eating, and it's a huge motivator.

It's extremely difficult to lose weight through exercise alone as you know. Have you determined the net number of calories you need to consume to lose weght?