IGNORED

Arcade translations 2600, 7800, 8-bit

tkarner

This post might fit in other forums too but it will probably get the most exposure here in the 2600 forum. Maybe I'll cross post it later.

I play all types of games on these three systems but my focus has always been the arcade classics. I'd like to get the definitive Atari home version of all the arcade classics so I'd like everyone's input on the pros and cons of the arcade translations for these three systems. Generally speaking I think the 7800 has the best graphics, the 8-bits have the best sound, the 2600 usually has neither but sometimes its game play trumps both. But on a game-by-game basis these generalizations don't always hold:

Space Invaders

2600 - This was obviously the killer app for the 2600. It plays well but there are graphical differences. Hacks/Homebrews improve on the graphics and Space Invaders Arcade is very accurate.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - The Atari version has more invaders per row than the 2600 but the game just seems odd to me. How is Deluxe Invaders? I've only seen screen shots and it looks good.

Asteroids

None of the home versions obviously have the look of the arcade but the 7800 plays great. The 2600 is very far from the arcade in looks and game play but it has become a classic in its own right. I've never played the 8-bit version but screen shots look rather bland.

Galaxian

2600 - Looks and plays surprisingly well, except for the orange border. Luckily the hack Galaxian Arcade corrects this.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - Looks very close to the arcade but the game play is way off. The Galaxians dive in such erratic patterns that it just doesn't play well. I prefer playing the 2600 version.

Galaga

7800 is the only version available and it's pretty good.

Pac Man

2600 - Do we need to go there? However, the homebrews are nice but not definitive arcade transalations.

7800 and 8-bit - I never played either. Which do you vote for?

Ms. Pac Man

2600 - Nice game but not arcade faithful.

7800 - Excellent.

8-bit - Looks just the 7800 but plays a bit choppy.

Jr Pac Man

2600 - See above.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - The prototype is spectacular.

Missile Command

2600 - One of the best 2600 arcade translations but...

8-bit - This one beats the 2600. Authentic sound, has bombers, satellites, MIRVs.

7800 - N/A

Berzerk

2600 - Another good arcade translation that isn't impacted too much by the 2600 graphics. Though the mazes are limited. Homebrews add voice.

7800 - N/A?

8-bit - Never played it, how is it?

Gorf

2600 - Ok.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - Pretty good. Just missing the Galaxian level and the voice.

Donkey Kong

2600 - Well...

7800 - Excellent but it's missing one screen.

8-bit - Many say this is the best version because it has all four screens. I'll have to take their word for it because this game is so hard I haven't actually seen the fourth screen yet!

Q*Bert

2600 - Plays ok but graphically the 2600 can't handle it.

7800 - B*nq - Thinking of buying this, it looks great.

8-bit - Never played. How does it compare to B*nq?

Dig Dug

2600 - Graphics are lacking.

7800 - Pretty good.

8-bit - I understand there are two versions. I played the older one and it was bad. Haven't played the newer version but I doubt it's as good as the 7800.

Joust

2600 - Plays great but has 2600-limited graphics.

7800 - Excellent.

8-bit - Haven't played it. How does it compare with the 7800?

Frogger

2600 - The Parker Brothers version is great but the Starpath version brings it up to a level that doesn't seem possible on a 2600.

7800 - I've read about the Froggie homebrew but as far as I can tell it was never sold on a cartridge.

8-bit - Never played it. How does it compare to the Starpath 2600 version?

Defender/Stargate

2600 - Defender wasn't arcade-faithful but Stargate was excellent I thought.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - How does 8-bit Defender compare with 2600 Stargate? How about the 8-bit Stargate prototype?

Centipede/Millipede

2600 - Both play very well but I can't get over the square mushrooms.

7800 - Centipede is great. Millipede is N/A.

8-bit - How is Centipede? I like the 8-bit Millipede mostly because there is no 7800 version.

Mario Brothers

2600 - Plays well but has 2600-limited graphics.

7800 - Very good.

Spy Hunter

2600 - Plays great, one of my favorite 2600 games but the graphics are simplistic.

7800 - N/A

Moon Patrol

2600 - Plays wells, graphics are pretty good on the 2600 (Except for the buggy. Maybe I'll hack it...)

7800 - N/A

Zaxxon

2600 - Hmmm. Zaxxon's key feature was isometric perspective. Leaving this out would be like making Pole Position and leaving out, you know, the race cars.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - Never played it, how is it? Screenshots look good. Hard to find on a cartridge.

Pole Position

2600 - eh.

7800 - Ok.

8- bit - Never played it, how is it?

Scramble/ Super Cobra

2600 - Super Cobra is a fun little game but it's not the arcade game.

7800 and 8-bit - Were either of these games ever made available?

Feel free to comment and add any other arcade games to the list.

Thanks.

Space Invaders

2600 - I think it's the best Atari version so far as playability goes.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - Space Invaders and Deluxe Invaders don't do much for me on the 800.

Asteroids

I haven't played the 7800 version much, but I don't think very highly of any of the computer versions. Would have been much better if done in Graphics 8 "vector effect" than the way they ended up doing it.

Galaxian

Haven't played 2600, computer version is utter crap. Then again, I think the arcade original wasn't much chop either.

Galaga

7800 I don't think highly of this version. Very few home platforms ever received a Galaga or clone that was anything near faithful to the original. NES version probably the best of the lot.

Pac Man

2600 - Utter rubbish, made me almost ashamed to be an Atari fan when I first saw/played it.

8-bit - I think it was a good conversion, sad that early releases lacked the intermissions. But, it was never really a game I got into in home or arcade format.

Ms. Pac Man

8-bit - I actually quite liked the conversions of Ms, Jnr and Super Pacman for the 800. Highly playable, good sound and good repeat play value.

Missile Command

2600/800 - I think they both worked well considering the constraints of the home systems.

Berzerk

2600 From memory I bought this game and took it back. Robots too dumb. Crap game anyway, even in the arcades.

8-bit - An improvement on 2600, but aside from speech didn't offer a lot. In any case, Shamus made Bezerk look stone-age.

Gorf

8-bit - Good conversion, reasonably faithful to the original.

Donkey Kong

2600 - Utter crap. Possibly the most annoying sound effects of any game... ever.

8-bit - Not that I've played them all, but I think it's the best home version. In some ways, even better than the arcade original.

Q*Bert

8-bit - I thought it was a pretty good conversion, but it, and even the arcade original kinda looks underdone compared to Pogo Joe.

Dig Dug

8-bit - reasonable conversion, but I never found it as enjoyable as the arcade.

Joust

8-bit - I used to play it heaps. Although the graphics a little lacking, had all the enjoyment of the arcade.

Frogger

2600 - Crap, but done well considering the restraints.

7800 - Played the WIP homebrew, has the potential to be better than the arcade original.

8-bit - Despite differences from the arcade, IMO looks better except for the "floating" movement of the frog.

Defender/Stargate

2600 - Crap. Was the first game I ever got for my 2600. Big disappointment, especially considering Stargate and Chopper Command and how much better they looked.

7800 - N/A

8-bit - Done well IMO, although some movement can be choppy. Sound could have been done a bit better, but fairly close to the arcade version, which probably had the best SFX of any game when it came out.

Centipede/Millipede

8-bit - Centipede reasonably faithful but not much repeat play value. Millipede maybe not so accurate in looks but is mega-addictive and can keep you hooked for hours.

Mario Brothers

8-bit - The proper "later" version with fixed sound and better graphics is actually pretty good looking, but wasn't really a favourite of mine in any format.

Spy Hunter

800 - It's "OK", but just doesn't match the arcade.

Moon Patrol

8-bit - Although in some respects looks chunky and primitive, an enjoyable game with good gameplay.

Zaxxon

8-bit - 16K version pretty crap, 32K version better, but sadly lacking in graphics and effects of the arcade.

Pole Position

7800 - Still haven't played the one I bought on eBay about 3 months ago. But, from emu playing the usual complaint - utter crap TIA sound.

8- bit - Primitive sprites, but was much better than C64 version. Pales against the arcade (which used to get a lot of my money). Driving games generally suck anyway without a steering wheel.

Scramble/ Super Cobra

800 Super Cobra - although reasonably faithful I didn't think much of it. Too boring and repetitive, although the same could be said of the arcade game anyway.

Space Invaders

2600 - Very Good Port with lots of additional game modes to give the game a longer lifespan This one

was essential and most Atari 2600 owners had it

Berzerk

2600 - Excellent Port

Asteroids

2600 - Not bad but just didn't quite feel like the Arcade game

Pac Man

2600 - It wasn't too bad it was fun to play for a while

Defender

2600 - Everyone was expecting something closer to Eugene Jarvis's arcade masterpiece but it wasn't

a complete disapointment it retained the basic game play and had lots of nice colour effects Just owning some

sort of home version of Defender was something back then.Stargate was a stunning achievement but it was late

coming when the 2600 had been superceded by 8 bit home computers and people had lost interest.

Missile Command

2600 - Good Port

Dig Dug

2600 - Not bad but the arcade game was never as good as Mr Do in the first place

Joust

2600 - Good port

Centipede

2600 - Not Bad

Moon Patrol

2600 - We couldn't have asked for much more It was a good port

Pole Position

2600 - Not too bad

Phoenix

2600 - Pretty Good

Battlezone

2600 - Good game one of the best ports on the 2600 even without the vector graphics The game had

a decent difficulty setting also

Vanguard

2600 - Very good a fun port

I've only played the 2600 versions out of the systems mentioned:

Space Invaders

Excellent at the time. I'm pretty burned out on SI in general these days. Although, it's what really got me into videogames back in the day.

Asteroids

Pretty good.

Galaxian

Very Good. I always thought the border was yellow.

Pac Man

Sux.

Ms. Pac Man

Pretty good.

Jr Pac Man

Very good. Just a little to difficult though.

Missile Command

Great.

Berzerk

Excellent.

Gorf

I agree....just "ok."

Donkey Kong

Lackluster piece of pimpwork...but still kinda ok.

Q*Bert

I like it.

Dig Dug

Great job.

Joust

Excellent and unfairly graphically judged.

Frogger

Parker Brothers is excellent.

Defender/Stargate

Defender would be better if extra lives weren't so easy to get.

I've never played Stargate....believe it or not! Don't worry, I will!!

Centipede/Millipede

I love both of these.

Mario Brothers

Excellent.

Moon Patrol

ok. Not one of my favs.

Zaxxon

I won't touch this. Ludacris.

Pole Position

Good job, in my opinion.

Couple of links that fit here:

Arcade to 2600 screens

Arcade to 5200/8-bit screens

Arcade to 7800 screens

Also I have this comparison script where you can enter a title and compare it with another.

http://www.ataritimes.com/compare.php

that compare thing is pretty cool. I'd like to see other non atari systems included, if possible.

Some of the hacks of 2600 titles are so good I don't even bother playing the originals. This would include Space Invaders Deluxe, Berzerk Voice Enhanced, and the numerous Pac-Man hacks (based on Ms. Pac-Man).

That said, the much-maligned Defender is actually pretty fun if you can look past its shortcomings and I'd say the same about Q*Bert.

Space Invaders

2600 - very good conversion for it's day and size. got a lot of play way back.

7800 - someone was working on a version i believe?

Q*Bert

2600 - I think it looks very good for a 2600 game. Good except for enemies jump from cube to cube IIRC.

8-bit - Ok version but could probably have been better if they had used more than 8K of ROM.

7800 b*nQ - no comment since I made it

Dig Dug

8-bit - Later version (like the 5200 version) plays well but obviously inferior in graphics to the 7800 version.

7800 - looks good and plays good.

Joust

8-bit - Plays well but the 7800 version has more colorful graphics of course.

7800 - looks good and plays good.

Frogger

2600 - good graphics and sound for its time and size. Have only play supercharger version on emulation and it is a little better.

8-bit - I believe there are multiple versions

7800 Froggie - very good from the demos I have tried.

Centipede

2600 - nice looking mushrooms on the title screen (til you start). Plays pretty well even if the mushrooms are blocks.

8-bit - The 5200 version converted to the 8-bit is better than the original 8-bit version but both play well.

7800 - looks and plays well.

Millipede

8 bit - looks and plays well.

Mario Brothers

8-bit - Get the XEGS cartridge version. Much improved over the earlier 5200 version. Even has intros.

7800 - I just don't like this version. I think it is the sounds that ruins it for me.

Donkey Kong

2600 - I thought it was ok back then but two screen made it get boring really quick.

8 bit - looks and plays well (yes kong is on the wrong side)

7800 - looks good. plays ok. hate the sound. missing a screen.

Donkey Kong Jr.

8 bit - looks and plays ok. character graphics causes enemy movements to be a little choppy.

7800 - also hate the sound on this one too.

Ms. Pacman

2600 - Good graphics and sound for its time. Much improvement over pacman.

8-bit - looks and plays good

7800 - PMC version is the best and a little more accurate but original cart also looks and plays well.

Burger Time

2600 - I'd rather have a bunch of flicker than it's crappy graphics (you vs sticks, blocks and the hot dog). sound could use some work.

8-bit Beef Drop - no comment

7800 Beef Drop - no comment

7800 Beef Drop VE - no comment

Qix

8-bit - Get the 5200 converted version

7800 - looks good. plays ok. hate the sound. missing a screen.

Donkey Kong Jr.

7800 - also hate the sound on this one too.

Well, if somebody who is a wiz at 7800 programming would hack the Pokey sounds out of the 8-bit versions and put them into the 7800 versions it would make these games much better. :ponder:

Allan

Well, if somebody who is a wiz at 7800 programming would hack the Pokey sounds out of the 8-bit versions and put them into the 7800 versions it would make these games much better. :ponder:

Allan

I have always kept holding out hoping the source code would surface.

Space Invaders

Was pretty good for the 2600. Nukey Shay made this one better.

Asteroids

Pretty good for the 2600. Was better on the 7800.

Galaxian

Pretty good for the 2600. Cybergoth made that one look better. The 8-bit version looks like it needs more work.

Galaga

Pretty good on the 7800.

Pac Man

Nukey Shay made the 2600 one better. The 8-bit version also looks and plays better. It also appears on Pac-Man Collection for the 7800, which I think is the best.

Ms. Pac Man

Pretty good on the 2600. Very good on the 7800. Rather so-and-so on 8-bit

Jr Pac Man

Pretty good on the 2600, though it's my least favorite of the Pac-Man games. The 8-bit version could use some work.

Missile Command

Pretty good on the 2600. Not much improvement on 8-bit, except for Sputniks and planes.

Berzerk

Pretty good on the 2600. The 8-bit version is the best. At one time, I did confuse K-Razy Shoot-Out for an upcoming version of Berzerk for the Atari computer systems.

Gorf

Somewhat weak on the 2600. Pretty good on 8-bit.

Donkey Kong

Pretty good on 2600. Better on the 7800, except for sound. 8-bit version is so-and-so.

Q*Bert

Pretty good on 2600. Better on 8-bit. The B*nQ adaptation for the 7800 is the best.

Dig Dug

Somewhat weak on the 2600. 7800 version was pretty good. Didn't play much of the 8-bit version, though I wasn't impressed by it.

Joust

Pretty good on the 2600. Very good on the 7800. Didn't play much of the 8-bit version, though.

Frogger

PB 2600 version was good, but the SP 2600 version was better. So also is the 8-bit version. The homebrew Froggie for the 7800 seems like the best.

Defender

Somewhat weak on the 2600. Never played the 8-bit version.

Stargate

Looks good on the 2600, but controls like hell. Never played the 8-bit prototype.

Centipede

Pretty good on the 2600. Better if not the best on the 7800. The 5200 version has better graphics than the 8-bit version.

Millipede

Pretty good on the 2600. Not bad on the 8-bit.

Mario Brothers

Pretty good on the 2600. Better on the 7800. The 8-bit seems so-and-so.

Spy Hunter

Seems rather weak on the 2600. Didn't play much of the 8-bit version to remember it.

Moon Patrol

Pretty good on the 2600. Don't remember playing the 8-bit version.

Zaxxon

Somewhat weak on the 2600. Pretty good on the 8-bit.

Pole Position

Pretty good on the 2600. A little better on the 8-bit. The 7800 version is Pole Position II, which I think is the best.

Super Cobra

Somewhat weak on the 2600.

I didn't see a few games on here that I thought I'd mention:

Gyruss: 2600.... WOW! I've had this cart for a while now, but never really bothered to play it. Not really sure why.

In the past, I never got to play a Gyruss arcade cab, so I didn't know much about the game. Then one day while stuck at a hotel for nearly a week, I stumbled across the game room. There was a working Gyruss there and I was HOOKED!

As soon as I got home, I picked up the cart and started playing. If I recall, it is pretty faithful. The patterns they swarm out in and everything. I need to spend more time with it though as it is a great great game.

Crystal Castles: For what limitations the Atari 2600 had, I think it was a pretty good port.

Gravitar... Haven't played the 2600 version much so I can't really say if it is faithful or not.

I was thinking of something else, but can't remember now. I'll chime in again later

Allan

I have always kept holding out hoping the source code would surface.

Did you ever ask Curt if he had it/them?

Allan

Did you ever ask Curt if he had it/them?

Allan

Yea, once a while ago, and he was going to look. Haven't asked any since though. It might also be nice to fix some 7800 games that don't run or don't run correctly on PAL and don't have a PAL counterpart. Is Robotron one?

The games I know to play like the arcade are

Original Production:

Robotron 8bit and 7800

Defender 8bit

Ms Pacman 7800

Controllers are essential to a good reproduction. I have a Joystick panel that has 2 Wico joysticks and Robotron ROCKS! Ms pacman does too.

Original Production, but never really liked the arcade either:

Dig Dug 8bit has 2 versions. I never did like the arcade so it is ok to me. 7800 is similar.

Missile Command 7800 and 8bit are very similar. (7800 has a hack to use a trackball in trackball mode)

Centipede 8bit (I need to find if there is a hack for trackball mode)

Again these games need a good controller for you to play to your fullest. A regular joystick will be fun but hitting the spacebar on a 400 in the heat of battle sucks.

Hacks:

I recommend getting Beef Drop 7800 (Burgertime), B*nq 7800 (Qbert), and Pacman collection 7800.

Beef Drop VE 7800 is the same as the regular edition without the Pokey chip(and will play Pokey sounds if you have the internal Pokey mod). If you are mainly interested in playing 2600 and 7800 games, get the CC2 if you can find one. It will make life easier. The last 6 months they have been selling between $400 and $500. Also allows you to play before you buy and if you get into programming for the Atari it should be easy to test on real equipment.

Yea, once a while ago, and he was going to look. Haven't asked any since though. It might also be nice to fix some 7800 games that don't run or don't run correctly on PAL and don't have a PAL counterpart. Is Robotron one?

If he finds 8bit Defender and Stargate, could you let me know? I may try my hand at hacking a game. Just so I can use a real Defender panel on the 8bit. Not to change the game.(but a hack of it to play Stargate may be interesting)

I didn't see a few games on here that I thought I'd mention:

Gyruss: 2600.... WOW! I've had this cart for a while now, but never really bothered to play it. Not really sure why.

In the past, I never got to play a Gyruss arcade cab, so I didn't know much about the game. Then one day while stuck at a hotel for nearly a week, I stumbled across the game room. There was a working Gyruss there and I was HOOKED!

As soon as I got home, I picked up the cart and started playing. If I recall, it is pretty faithful. The patterns they swarm out in and everything. I need to spend more time with it though as it is a great great game.

Crystal Castles: For what limitations the Atari 2600 had, I think it was a pretty good port.

Gravitar... Haven't played the 2600 version much so I can't really say if it is faithful or not.

I was thinking of something else, but can't remember now. I'll chime in again later

YES. I love Gyruss and Crystal Castles. Gravitar is kinda hard once you get get to the second solar system.

I'd like to get the definitive Atari home version of all the arcade classics so I'd like everyone's input on the pros and cons of the arcade translations for these three systems.

It's not Atari-exclusive, but the ongoing "Many Faces of..." feature from the Retrogaming Times is worth taking a look at. Most (but not all) of the reviews can be found here...

http://tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%20FS/Re.../many_faces.htm

It's not Atari-exclusive, but the ongoing "Many Faces of..." feature from the Retrogaming Times is worth taking a look at. Most (but not all) of the reviews can be found here...

I hate those things, because they inexplicably never include comparison screenshots.

I hate those things, because they inexplicably never include comparison screenshots.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of them do...but the images seem to be 'broken'.

You can always use MobyGames for screenshot comparisons...

http://www.mobygames.com/game/qbert/screenshots

But graphics aren't everything. ;)

If he finds 8bit Defender and Stargate, could you let me know? I may try my hand at hacking a game. Just so I can use a real Defender panel on the 8bit. Not to change the game.(but a hack of it to play Stargate may be interesting)

Hacking the game should be simple...just search for where the keyboard is checked and alter it to read a bit from one of the ports instead for each of the 3 keys. But how would you handle left/right movement? Remove it and just allow up/down (using either left or right to flip the current direction)?

Well, despite the fact that the 2600 versions of some arcades games are not in the ballpark, they certainly deserve their own respective corners of fame. Asteroids did take a spin away from the arcade translation (no vector graphics) and Pac-Man certainly couldn't begin to compare to it's arcade counterpart, Ms. Pac-Man might not be arcade-faithful but again, deserves it's own kudos. It brought the arcade version home in a much better way than Pac-Man ever could. I think all of us were delighted with Ms. Pac-Man for the 2600 after that abomination we called Pac-Man for the 2600.

Missile command made good use of a joystick to compare to the trackball. It seemed to me they did a good job. Galaxian is great, IMO, for the 2600 and has good color and sounds. Battlezone went off the beaten path (no vector graphics) but still is a worthy addition for your arcade to home taste.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve