IGNORED

approximate cost of a 5200 collection?

shadow460

I wouldn't mind getting myself a complete set of loose carts for the 5200. My goal would be to have all the titles that Al has listed as NTSC in the rarity guide except things like the diagnostic cart. I also would like to include any homebrews that have been sold in the AA store, and any reproductions that have been made of the prototypes in Al's guide.

I've already got the system itself plus at least one working joystick.

I wonder how much that collection would cost with just the carts? How about with overlays and manuals?

It'd run you a pretty penny. Not for the majority of coarse but for those almost unobtainable ones like Bounty Bob Strikes Back and Meteorites. Plus some of the homebrews and repo's are getting a bit scarce I believe. As for the rest of the commons's they can be had quite cheaply. Of coarse you could always just go with the 128 in 1 multicart from Atarimax and play them all, that is except for Bounty Bob. :(

That will only run you about $130.

Edited by darthkur

The two hard games, Meteorites and BBSB, have had their prices being driven way up lately by certain individuals. I would be very careful with these two. I think those individuals have been pricing themselves into Disneyland lately so hopefully they will come back down soon. I'm a big fan of the 5200 and would really like a copy of both these games but I'm not going to pay $700 for any game, especially when one or two individuals try to drive up the price. Hopefully someday we will see some kind of repro on BBSB so us middle class people can play it on the real thing. For now I just play it on my 8-bit computers.

Allan

Be prepared to pay way too much for BBSB if you can find it. I was going to sell $30 reproductions of it but Bob said he'd rather I didn't so its still extremely over valued.

I wouldn't mind updating the 128-in-1 to do BBSB one of these days, but I think people would be a little peeved about having to upgrade just for one game.

Steve

Be prepared to pay way too much for BBSB if you can find it. I was going to sell $30 reproductions of it but Bob said he'd rather I didn't so its still extremely over valued.

I wouldn't mind updating the 128-in-1 to do BBSB one of these days, but I think people would be a little peeved about having to upgrade just for one game.

Steve

How would you do the upgrade. Do you mean you would make a whole new cart or just have people send them their carts so you could modify them. Considering the price of a loose BBSB either option would be cheaper.

Would it be possible to make a Multi-cart that would take different types of bank-switching like one option for BBSB, other option for Bryan's Mule, another option for a 128K bank-selsct, etc.? That would be nice.

Allan

Steve

How would you do the upgrade. Do you mean you would make a whole new cart or just have people send them their carts so you could modify them. Considering the price of a loose BBSB either option would be cheaper.

Would it be possible to make a Multi-cart that would take different types of bank-switching like one option for BBSB, other option for Bryan's Mule, another option for a 128K bank-selsct, etc.? That would be nice.

Allan

That's the only reason I haven't bought a multicart. I have every other game or can burn my own copy with my programmer. I myself would be willing to spend the 150 or so on a BBSB compatible multicart.

The two hard games, Meteorites and BBSB, have had their prices being driven way up lately by certain individuals. I would be very careful with these two. I think those individuals have been pricing themselves into Disneyland lately so hopefully they will come back down soon. I'm a big fan of the 5200 and would really like a copy of both these games but I'm not going to pay $700 for any game, especially when one or two individuals try to drive up the price. Hopefully someday we will see some kind of repro on BBSB so us middle class people can play it on the real thing. For now I just play it on my 8-bit computers.

Allan

Meteorites looks about the same price as it always was. Perhaps a bt higher. I don't see complete copies selling much less than $100.

A sealed copy for $160

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130217053776

A pretty close to Mint complete copy for $126

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280223658731

another complete copy for $96

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290224361501

Allan

Meteorites looks about the same price as it always was. Perhaps a bt higher. I don't see complete copies selling much less than $100.

A sealed copy for $160

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130217053776

A pretty close to Mint complete copy for $126

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280223658731

another complete copy for $96

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290224361501

Did you happen to notice something funny about those three auctions?

Allan

I've had a taste of the drug that is Bounty Bob Strikes Back. It's on my existing want list, even if I don't get the full collection.

I have BBSB on the Atari 800... never was too impressed with it.

I've had a taste of the drug that is Bounty Bob Strikes Back. It's on my existing want list, even if I don't get the full collection.

I'd be very happy to take it off your hands then. ;)

Got Miner on the Game Boy? Guess what you're actually playing...it's less than 20% Miner 2049er. I've got the BBSB emulator, and I play it once in a while. I just have a thing for the actual hard/software.

When my daddy borrowed some 5200 games from a friend, he got Miner, BBSB, Megamania, Pac-Man, and Frogger. I stuck with BBSB and Megamania almost exclusively.

My small (20ish games) collection doesn't include Megamania yet, either.

out of curiosity, what is the big hangup with BBSB not being released? Is is commission to the original programmer? With a game that has not been on the market for over 20 years, you think that another release would be embraced. There is always a backstory I guess. I am a 5200 collector, who will never have the mula for BBSB, but would love to have one.

Why is it that BBSB doesn't work with the AM multicart? Weird bankswitching?

How about burning it to a eprom? Would it work on one of the boards that are sold at the store?

It has weird bank switching compared to other carts. IIRC it has two different 2K windows where different banks can be switched in.

--Ken

It has weird bank switching compared to other carts. IIRC it has two different 2K windows where different banks can be switched in.

--Ken

Actually, the original used 2 x 16K bankswitched ROM's (from the 2600 - with 4K windows, mapped into $4000-$4fff and $5000-$5fff) and another 8K ROM in the upper address space ($a000-$bfff). I was going to reproduce this about 4 years ago and Bill wasn't hip to the idea, so I dropped it.

http://www.bigfivesoftware.com/atari/BBSB/...l/technical.htm

out of curiosity, what is the big hangup with BBSB not being released? Is is commission to the original programmer?

Bill is a really nice guy, but I think he just doesn't care for the idea, money involved or otherwise.

Steve

I have every cart except BBSB. I can, but simply will not pay the asking price. (11 years ago I thought $75 was too much for it - and they were common on ebay then.)

I am a past customer of yours. I would order a new 128-in-1 immediately if you modded it for BBSB. Hopefully you will offer it someday

Edited by rayik

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Not necessarily, Steve. It all depends on the cost I think, if you could do it for a reasonable price. Now what that price would be, I don't know.

Me? $25.00 sounds good.

You've always been good with advertising your stuff when it's available so again if the price is right I'm sure many people would take you up on it.

Of course, not knowing what's involved on your end, I'm just throwing a number out there. Packing up the cart and sending it back to you is the easy part.

:)

• 2 weeks later...