IGNORED

WIP teaser (ColecoVision)

joyrex

We are working on a new game, which we plan to release on the ColecoVision, as well as the MSX.

Attached is a work-in-progress teaser, which demonstrates the game engine. It's a top-view smooth scrolling racing game, which game be controlled with regular controllers, as well as the steering wheel.

It would be great if you can try it out, and give some feedback. Note that it doesn't seem to work on all emulators (it works on the real thing though).

Anyway, hope you like it.

dvik_joyrex_wip_teaser.zip

• Like 1

This is simply AMAZING!! :lust:

I never imagined the CV could do such smooth multi-directional scrolling! The controls are nicely implemented, and the music is great too! Awesome job so far!

Please put me at the top of your pre-order list for the cartridge version! :D

(The game doesn't work under Meka, but it does work under MESS, in case anyone is wondering.)

This is simply AMAZING!! :lust:

I never imagined the CV could do such smooth multi-directional scrolling! The controls are nicely implemented, and the music is great too! Awesome job so far!

Please put me at the top of your pre-order list for the cartridge version! :D

(The game doesn't work under Meka, but it does work under MESS, in case anyone is wondering.)

Thanks!

The engine is based on the engine we did in our previous game (also racing, but with a simple physics engine compared with this one). The scrolling is achieved by having stored all different possible tiles for each scroll position, and change display a different set of tiles when scrolling is required.

Another nice example of this method is 'Malaika', a recent MSX game by Karoshi.

Thanks!

The engine is based on the engine we did in our previous game (also racing, but with a simple physics engine compared with this one). The scrolling is achieved by having stored all different possible tiles for each scroll position, and change display a different set of tiles when scrolling is required.

Another nice example of this method is 'Malaika', a recent MSX game by Karoshi.

So you're working with graphics mode #1, I guess? That would allow maximum freedom in paginating patterns in VRAM. I suppose one could do a close-to-arcade rendition of Rally-X with your scrolling engine, but I like your Micro-Machine-inspired style of game better.

Keep up the good work! I can hardly wait to see the finished product! :D

Hi Joyrex. We like it. :D

That's a nice little Car-race you two have done so far. :thumbsup:

And i agree with Luc.

That could be fine for "New Rally-X". A Great future-game for CV.

I'll be happy to see WIP when it arrives in the future.

So you're working with graphics mode #1, I guess? That would allow maximum freedom in paginating patterns in VRAM. I suppose one could do a close-to-arcade rendition of Rally-X with your scrolling engine, but I like your Micro-Machine-inspired style of game better.

Yeah, this engine is using mode #1. In the previous engine we made it configurable to use mode #1, mode #2 and mode #4 (which is only available in v9938 and v9958). For mode #2 we had configured the vdp to share it's tile banks (which makes it kinda a mixed mode of mode #1 and #2). Unfortunately, on some msx1's this didn't work. Some of the vdps in the tms9918 series have a nasty side effect when doing this; the sprites will be ghosted over those three banks. Not sure if the Coleco version of the vdp has that side effect too, if it doesn't, in the previous engine we were able to use more colors in the status bar; we could probably do the same in this engine.

Won't work here, I'm afraid.

Any screenshots?

How's Opcode?

How did you try it? We will try to make an emulator friendlier version of the game. It does work correctly on blueMSX, which is a great MSX emulator which also includes ColecoVision/SG1000 support.

Here are two screenshots; though playing the teaser gives a much better impression;

post-18636-1213124036_thumb.png post-18636-1213124042_thumb.png

It doesn't work on Virtual Coleco either. I'll have to try it on real hardware I guess.

That would be very much appreciated; unfortunately we were only able to try it on a PAL ColecoVision at the moment (this will change in though).

In Meka, I get the opening screen but then nothing after I press a button. I'll try it in MESS when I get home.

It looks like MEKA is neglecting to set the INT (vblank) bit of the status register when it hangs; the game is hanging while waiting for the vblank by polling the vdp status register.

Interestingly it works on Cologne, the ColecoVision emulator for GBA.

I found the 'problem' in the game. We're currently not using the NMI (we may do it in the future) and instead polling the VBLANK bit in the VDP status register, but accidentally during some clearing after the title screen we temporarily enable the VDP interrups and my guess is that the NMI is fired during this time and thats causing problems on some emus. Or perhaps these emus emulates the correct behavior, not sure.

In any case we'll post another build soon that fixes the issue so the teaser is playable in all emus.

Edited by dvik

Some more detail about the scroll engine. The race track is made up of around 60 different tiles. Each of these tiles can be rotated 8 pixels horizontally and vertically making 64 possible combinations. All these rotations are stored in ROM. Every second frame we basically pick one rotation and update all 60 tiles, and then update the BG map. This takes most of the frame so all game logic, physics engine, input, collision detection and AI is done in the other frame. Each frame runs the sprite engine (rotating the sprites) and the music to make that part smooth. In 60 Hz we basically drop every 6th frame to get the same speed on music and game in both PAL and NTSC. This spare frame will be used to update the status bar, calculate speed, and other tasks that can be done less often. In 50Hz, we split these tasks over multiple frames.

This version worked in MEKA. This is really cool, if it supports the steering wheel, I'd definitely pick it up.

This version already supports the steering wheel, it checks both regular controlers as well as the steering wheel :D

We are working on a new game, which we plan to release on the ColecoVision, as well as the MSX.

Attached is a work-in-progress teaser, which demonstrates the game engine. It's a top-view smooth scrolling racing game, which game be controlled with regular controllers, as well as the steering wheel.

It would be great if you can try it out, and give some feedback. Note that it doesn't seem to work on all emulators (it works on the real thing though).

Anyway, hope you like it.

dvik_joyrex_wip_teaser.zip

Awesome! Very nice scrolling...

Please put me down for the cartridge version :)

Awesome! Very nice scrolling...

Please put me down for the cartridge version :)

Although the engine is nearly finished, there is still a lot to do. Especially a two player mode will be quite a challenge.

I should think so. :) Will you be doing a split-screen? Otherwise, the race track being much larger than the screen, how would you handle a player taking a large lead over the other?

I should think so. icon_smile.gif Will you be doing a split-screen? Otherwise, the race track being much larger than the screen, how would you handle a player taking a large lead over the other?

One option is to make a 2p mode like the one in Micro Machines. Personally I like it a lot. Another option would be something like the C64 Rally Speedway and I'm sure there are other ways too.

• 2 weeks later...