IGNORED

Power Supply for Atari XE Compatible w/ Other Atari 8bit ?

Mark Wolfe

Greetings. I have a working Atari XE and a seemingly non-working Atari 800XL with no power supply.

Does anyone here know if the XE PS will work on the 800 or any other Atari 8bit systems?

The plugs are identical, but there are no power specs listed on the 800's label. The 800 lights up red next to the "Power" readout but the screen is blank/black.

Does anyone here know if the XE PS will work on the 800 or any other Atari 8bit systems?

You can use an XE power supply with the 800 XL, but not the original 800. Not all of the 8-bits use the same one.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm

ahh ok, thanks very much.

well , this 800XL is dead then. Just a black screen when turned on, with or without a cart in it. :(

hooked up via the monitor jack (5 pin port to a-v) or rf (switchbox or rca-f converter)?

I used the rca jack port labeled switch box and tied that to a standard rf converter. I assumed it was working because when i switched from ch2 to ch3 I would get static on 2 and black on 3, which was what my tv was set to.

Should i try the monitor jack? I think I have a cable somewhere that will fit it as long as that is a standard composite. My Turbo Duo cable should work, gotta dig it up first.

I used the rca jack port labeled switch box and tied that to a standard rf converter. I assumed it was working because when i switched from ch2 to ch3 I would get static on 2 and black on 3, which was what my tv was set to.

Should i try the monitor jack? I think I have a cable somewhere that will fit it as long as that is a standard composite. My Turbo Duo cable should work, gotta dig it up first.

You were not specific in XE, so I thought there was always the chance you were going from composite jack on the XEGS and trying to use the RCA as composite (which some people do and think there is a problem). Sounds like you hooked it up correctly and your 800XL may have issues. You could try pushing down some of the socketed chips or reseating them if it is an older 800 xl with sockets. If not i am sure others here can help more. I would think screen going static to blank would mean the rf modulator is working.

--Ken

You were not specific in XE, so I thought there was always the chance you were going from composite jack on the XEGS and trying to use the RCA as composite (which some people do and think there is a problem). Sounds like you hooked it up correctly and your 800XL may have issues. You could try pushing down some of the socketed chips or reseating them if it is an older 800 xl with sockets. If not i am sure others here can help more. I would think screen going static to blank would mean the rf modulator is working.

--Ken

hmm, I'll definitely open it up and take a look inside. That's worth a try. Thanks!

well , this 800XL is dead then. Just a black screen when turned on, with or without a cart in it. :(

Well, it may not be totally dead. First thing is make sure Reset/Option/select/start are not stuck down.

Try the drop fix, from a couple *inches* max, off a hard flat surface, drop it. Then try to power it up again.

Check the SIO jack, make sure no pins are bent/touching.

Next step is opening it and reseating all of the chips that are in sockets. You will not know how many till it is opened. Pry up each chip from the ends a little, push back down. Then test again.

If this doesn't work, then you will need to start swapping chips. You can put each of the large chips into a known working xl/xe to see if its good. Or, put in a known good chip into the xl.

This is too much for a lot of people to do. That is normal.

Hope this helps.

Rick D.

Well, it may not be totally dead. First thing is make sure Reset/Option/select/start are not stuck down.

Try the drop fix, from a couple *inches* max, off a hard flat surface, drop it. Then try to power it up again.

Check the SIO jack, make sure no pins are bent/touching.

Next step is opening it and reseating all of the chips that are in sockets. You will not know how many till it is opened. Pry up each chip from the ends a little, push back down. Then test again.

If this doesn't work, then you will need to start swapping chips. You can put each of the large chips into a known working xl/xe to see if its good. Or, put in a known good chip into the xl.

This is too much for a lot of people to do. That is normal.

Hope this helps.

Rick D.

If you are still getting nothing, the first port of call would be to fit new RAM chips. There are 8 on the 800XL, you may be lucky in that they will be socketed, but more likely you will have to de-solder. Easiest way is to snip off the legs of the ICs, use a solder wick to clear out the holes, fit sockets and put the new chips in.

If that works and you use 41256 RAM chips you are half way to a 256k memory upgrade. :D

both of your suggestions help, I won't go as far as desoldering anything or swapping out chips though. a replacement 800 xl, or even a 1200 xl can be had on ebay for chump change :)

all the buttons and keys, as well as all the ports are pristine on this unit, no bent pins, etc... it's actually in very nice shape physically. very little yellowing, and no sticking keys, or damage. The inside looks much the same too. I wonder if someone fried it somehow in it's former life?

I guess I'll keep it for parts and just get a replacement. They seem to be pretty easy to come by.

Thanks guys, I'll just play with my XEGS until it gets here ;)

both of your suggestions help, I won't go as far as desoldering anything or swapping out chips though. a replacement 800 xl, or even a 1200 xl can be had on ebay for chump change :)

I have an 800XL I am willing to part with. I live in Reading PA so the shipping won't be too bad. PM me if you are interested.

I have an 800XL I am willing to part with. I live in Reading PA so the shipping won't be too bad. PM me if you are interested.

PM sent, thank you :)

Since the original subject of this thread was power supplies:

Is there any reason why you can't wire an IBM (AT) power supply's 5v and ground into the Atari DIN plug and use that as a power supply? Seems like a good idea.

Well, I started the thread asking if the XE power supply would work on an 800 XL, and it seems that they are compatible, so I'm fine. I was hoping that it was just the power issue that was keeping it from working but, that's not the problem it seems.

That IS a great idea, I even have a spare PS I could use for that plan, but I don't think it will make a difference at this point.

Since the original subject of this thread was power supplies:

Is there any reason why you can't wire an IBM (AT) power supply's 5v and ground into the Atari DIN plug and use that as a power supply? Seems like a good idea.

Yep. Works fine.. ANd theres enough extra capacity on an old AT power supply to run a bunch of other crap along with it.. Ive got one AT PSU running my 130XE, Black box, SCSI hardisk, and an extra cooling fan for the drive... If I ever get a floppy board, I'll run the floppy drive mechs off it as well..