IGNORED

Space Invaders 7800

PacManPlus

Hey All:

I started work on this in my blog, but being I think I'm pretty close to completion, I moved it here.

Space Invaders now exists for the 7800 :)

Screenshots here:

post-1787-1214155022_thumb.pngpost-1787-1214155026_thumb.png

post-1787-1214155031_thumb.pngpost-1787-1214155035_thumb.png

I tried to add most of the 2600 variations here (except the 'one player moves, other player fires' or 'one player moves left, other player moves right' thing)

This is not 100% yet, as I need to add the following:

- Tweak bomb frequency / placement

- Invader bomb - Player shot collision with each other

- Bonus player at 1500 points

- Pause

- High Score and High Score Cart

- Introduce a 'Time Out' on the options screen (and go back to attract mode)

- Implement 'Game Over' logic (at the moment the game just stops and you have to reboot)

- 2 player alternating turns (the copy / saving of RAM) - 2 player cooperative works though ;)

- Invisible invaders

- figure out what to do with the 'PLAYERS 00' in the bottom right corner (thinking about making it a level counter)

There shouldn't be any screen jumps, please let me know if you find any.

A huge 'THANK YOU' to Opcode, Supercat, Vdub_Bobby, and Kenfused for helping me with questions / issues :)

...and thank you Schmutzpuppe for starting me off ;)

Enjoy!

Edited by PacManPlus

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!!!!!! :D

Edit: Just tried it and it's fantastic! Just a couple of things (other than the typical bugs to squash):

1. The invaders should "eat" the bases if they touch them.

2. Any chance you could include a moon-like background at the bottom? (Probably a pipe-dream, but just thought I'd ask.)

Edited by Gregory DG

Oh man, you must have read my mind! A SI that looks like the arcade and has the variations of the 2600 one. I think it's time to buy a 7800 board, unless you are palnning on releasing it on cart. Are you...?

Looks like great work, like always.

Incredible work, Bob! A "simple" conversion would have been great. However, all the added options is what really makes this special. Options for cooperative 2 player mode, Zig-Zag bullets, moving shields, invisible invaders and more. As your Pac-Man Collection is the definitive Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man port(s), this is surely the definitive Space Invaders (Deluxe) port.

Fantastic release and thank you for sharing this with the community.

-Trebor

Nice. Just gave it a quick run.

Just a few things:

- Does it follow the logic of the arcade so far as appearance and scoring of the mother ship? Also I only had several invaders left and it still appeared.

- The last invader doesn't seem to alternate between "mega fast" and "fast" speeds.

- Does it follow the "bottom shelf invaders never fire" rule? (I didn't play it to that extent)

- Sound effects done nicely - I assume they're just TIA?

The best sound on real machines of course was when you shot the mother ship. Of course, doing it on TIA or even Pokey would be a challenge.

I haven't gotten a chance to play this yet but it looks great. One thing I have to ask is does it have the logic of the arcade game with the counting shots (etc.)? And also if the invaders dont shoot on the last row (as asked earlier above)? :)

<edit> woops I see this was also asked just above. But yeah see, it looks so good you gotta ask those questions :D

Edited by NE146

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :) This is my first non-hack homebrew, so I'm kind of excited about this one. I'm sure my code is not the most efficient, but so far it's working.

@Walter, Nathan - thanks! And once this is completed I will explore my options about adding more ;)

I am hoping this to be released on a cart once it in complete.

A few notes:

1. The invaders should "eat" the bases if they touch them.

2. Any chance you could include a moon-like background at the bottom? (Probably a pipe-dream, but just thought I'd ask.)

#1 I actually forgot about :ponder: that one might be a little difficult for me... I've added it to my list (at home). Thanks!

#2 I was thinking about (someone else had brought it up as well... Go Fish!) ;) Unfortunately though, it would push me over the CPU cycle limit for each frame. I would have to set up a second Character Mode (the first one is being used for the invaders). :(

@Shannon - that's a cool idea (using the 2600 invader bitmaps). I may try to incorporate it somehow. :-D

- Does it follow the logic of the arcade so far as appearance and scoring of the mother ship? Also I only had several invaders left and it still appeared.

- The last invader doesn't seem to alternate between "mega fast" and "fast" speeds.

- Does it follow the "bottom shelf invaders never fire" rule? (I didn't play it to that extent)

- Sound effects done nicely - I assume they're just TIA?

- The scoring of the mother ship does follow the same pattern as the arcade (the 'Furrer Trick' works). As far as the timing, not sure - I had asked someone what determines when the mothership comes out, waiting for an answer. At the moment it's on a timer, until there are less then 4 invaders left when it stops coming out.

- The last invader is unfortunately at the fastest speed it can be. I don't think I can alternate it making it go faster, and making it slower will make it too easy. I will still look and see what I can figure out.

- Yes, the 'bottom invaders never fire' rule applies here as well.

- Yes, these are TIA sounds - thanks! I actually took each arcade sound and slowed it down so I can figure out what they are doing. I tried to approximate the sounds as much as I could. Kept my guitar in my office to pick out notes as a starting point. :)

Thanks again everyone.

Some new changes:

- Game Over logic now is in place.

- Invisible invaders now works.

- Time Out on Options Screen if left alone for a few minutes. Goes back to attract mode.

I didn't post a new bin yet - I'll have to do that when I get home.

Edited by PacManPlus

At the moment it's on a timer, until there are less then 4 invaders left when it stops coming out.

Just fyi, if you want it like the arcade game, it should stop coming out at 8 invaders.

But hey it's your port, you can make it how you like including little differences like that :D

At the moment it's on a timer, until there are less then 4 invaders left when it stops coming out.

Just fyi, if you want it like the arcade game, it should stop coming out at 8 invaders.

But hey it's your port, you can make it how you like including little differences like that :D

Thanks, man - it's the little things like that I need to know. That will be fixed in the next release. :)

Edited by PacManPlus

Thanks, man - it's the little things like that I need to know. That will be fixed in the next release. :)

Actually I take that back.. 8 invaders is the MINIMUM that the UFO will still come out. If it's 7 or lower, it does not :)

According to "How to master the video games" book, the mother ship appears every 25 seconds so long as more than 8 invaders are onscreen. It's worth 300 points on the 23rd player shot, then every 15th after.

"The winners book of video games" claims the same, except "about every 25 seconds" for it's appearance. Left/right side is random, evenly distributed.

Incredible work, Bob! A "simple" conversion would have been great. However, all the added options is what really makes this special. Options for cooperative 2 player mode, Zig-Zag bullets, moving shields, invisible invaders and more. As your Pac-Man Collection is the definitive Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man port(s), this is surely the definitive Space Invaders (Deluxe) port.

Fantastic release and thank you for sharing this with the community.

-Trebor

Of course. Would you have expected anything less from the Great PAC-MAN-PLUS. This will be another homerun for the 7800. I can't wait to get home from vacation and try this new version out. My son loves it too. He likes the 'Child Version' best when the invaders don't fire. That would make a nice option.

Allan

I don't know why, but I'm always happy to see a new game for the 7800- the system that died from a terminal case of "Tramielitis."

This version looks fine. From what I can see, it captures the "essence" of the arcade version, something the 5200 version didn't do.

It's interesting to consider this: by the latter half og the 1980s, when we were in the NES era, the people most likely to purchase the 7800 were older gamers, like yours truly. Therefore, older arcade games were the best way to go.

Imagine a 7800 version of Snap Jack or Jump Bug.

Best to you.

Actually I take that back.. 8 invaders is the MINIMUM that the UFO will still come out. If it's 7 or lower, it does not :)

Get your facts straight!! ;) :P

Yeah as I fool with a7800x I can't help but think of all the "overlooked" potential of the 7800... Space Invaders was one of the games that crossed my mind.