IGNORED

Promo version or not?

Trinity

I recently bought a 2600 off of ebay and when I was checking it out I noticed some differences. So I started googling around and ended up here. :) This unit is in a very clean and awesome shape! :) :) :)

But here are the differences compared to my old,,, dead (rip) 2600A four switch.

It has the yellow colored paint on the front.

It has a hole for a channel switch on the bottom, no switch inside though.

It has holes for making adjustments on the bottom.

Sticker on the bottom says made in Sunnyvale, CA.

It also has two round vents or something on the top. What are these for? They were not on my other one.

And it has this "port/door" on the back of the unit covered with a thick tape cover.

Never seen this before, Any ideas what it could be for?

I would guess that it was a promo for sure, except it is not branded on the bottom as such.

So what do you guy's think, Promo version or not? Any guess on the year it was made?

post-20336-1214916223_thumb.jpg

post-20336-1214916430_thumb.jpg

post-20336-1214916456_thumb.jpg

post-20336-1214916469_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trinity

Looks like an early 4-switch that uses a 6-switch bottom half. That's why the black film is in place to cover the old joystick & power openings. The bottom channel select hole is for the 6-switch board as the 4-switch channel select is on the back. The switches don't appear to be chrome like the promo consoles have and the paint looks orange to me. I'd say it was just a regular 4-switch possibly made in sunnyvale.

Looks like an early 4-switch that uses a 6-switch bottom half. That's why the black film is in place to cover the old joystick & power openings. The bottom channel select hole is for the 6-switch board as the 4-switch channel select is on the back. The switches don't appear to be chrome like the promo consoles have and the paint looks orange to me. I'd say it was just a regular 4-switch possibly made in sunnyvale.

:)

Good points! :)

But the paint is definitely yellow. Here is another picture with the old "dead" one on sitting on top to compare.

The paint around the edge of the old on is almost gone... lol, but it is orange as well as the switches.

My new odd one is not. And the switches on the back protrude further out on the back on my new one.

post-20336-1214918345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trinity

IMO, it's not officially a Promo console unless it has the "PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY..." etc. hot stamp on the bottom.

The slotted circular openings in the case top are for speakers, which were deleted before production began, in favor of sending the sound to the TV. I believe it's unusual to find a 4-switch console with speaker openings. Perhaps this console is a "Frankenstein" job, assembled from mismatched parts?

IMO, it's not officially a Promo console unless it has the "PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY..." etc. hot stamp on the bottom.

The slotted circular openings in the case top are for speakers, which were deleted before production began, in favor of sending the sound to the TV. I believe it's unusual to find a 4-switch console with speaker openings. Perhaps this console is a "Frankenstein" job, assembled from mismatched parts?

Hmmm, speakers... I'm glad they never did that. :)

"Frankenstein" job"...:/

It could be,,, The thing is so clean that there is no dust ANYWHERE on it. I was really suprised to get such a clean one. I'm thinking on opening it up to see if it is as clean on the inside as out. (will post pic's, if I do).

Looks like it has a number hot stamped above the label on the back like my Sunnyvale non-promo unit.

Is that common or meaningful? I've never noticed it on my other consoles but very likely have never looked for it.

"Looks like it has a number hot stamped above the label on the back like my Sunnyvale non-promo unit."

Yeah it does, But I can't make the number out for sure. (it is smeared), I think 166, or 188.

i think that number stamped into the bottom of the console tells us when it was made (or uh...at least when he bottom half of your console was made)

IIRC the first two digits are for the number of weeks into a particular year it was fabricated and the last digit represents the last digit of the year it was made.

so... yours more than likely says 188 (i'm almost certain that it wasn't made in the 16th week of 1976, as they were not in production at this time), so your bottom shell was probably made in the 18th week of 1978, making it more than likely a "frankenstein job" as AJ so artfully put. because i don't think they made four switchers during tha ttime.

i could be wrong on this. perhaps AJ, Prodos or BigO can shed some more light on this subject?

Edited by opeygon

Was browsing ebay and I found another 2600 just like mine. Here is what the seller says,

"original sunnyvale cx-2600a 4 switch atari cx-2600 4 switch woodgrain system

100% refurbished and works like new.

this 4 switch system was manufactured in sunnyvale california.

original manufacturer identification attached to bottom of system,

#932509 this is a rare find and in great shape.

in reserching this system i find only a couple of

the 4 switch sunnyvale promotional systems available with the promo only stamp,

which would have been for promotional giveaways, mcdonalds

having one of the biggest promotional giveaways in the early 80s.

with very little known of the 4 switch sunnyvale for retail sales?

well they had them, and we have one here. with no promo only stamp!

reading through atari age posts and other sites

this system is something to be had and a very hard to find model.

great looking system with a super clear picture and great sound."

"reading through atari age posts and other sites this system is something to be had and a very hard to find model."... So maybe I did not get a "Frankenstein job" after all. :) Wonder if he read this thread. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-2600-SUNNYVALE-4...1QQcmdZViewItem