IGNORED

I've got an odd Atari STF!

Hi guys,

So, last year I took in a massive haul of surplus computer equipment from the Los Alamos Labs here in New Mexico. One of the cool items that came in that batch was an Atari STF, which has been sitting in my garage all this time. So, just yesterday I finally got the itch to check this thing out, and I quickly noticed that this system seems to have had at least one modification - what appears to have been a user-installed 2-position toggle switch on the right hand side, which is wired with some very thin wires to the left side of the CPU daughtercard. Also, it's clear that whoever installed this switch mod started by drilling a hole in the case... and then decided to position the switch a bit lower and drilled a second hole. I'll attach some pics below.

I'm a retrocomputing hobbiest (and have been for years), but I have almost zero experience with Atari systems. Is this type of mod a common thing on these systems? What would it be used for? I've seen one reference to a drive-switch on some ST systems, but wouldn't that be wired to the drive itself, rather than the CPU board?

Anyway, I I won't know for sure until I fire this thing up. I'm in need of pretty much every accessory to make this thing work - a video cable, a mouse and some software. I guess I'll start poking around on the trading forums and eBay, unless anyone who reads this has any spares they could part with (for cash or trade!).

Thanks!

Huxley

post-13586-1215239551_thumb.jpg

post-13586-1215239588_thumb.jpg

post-13586-1215239634_thumb.jpg

post-13586-1215239652_thumb.jpg

post-13586-1215239667_thumb.jpg

That board that is in the third picture is definitely not stock. I'll hazard a guess that card is some kind of upgrade card, and that switch enables/disables it. I found a page about that board's processor. Other than this, I am not going to hazard a guess. Okay, maybe one, maybe a better way of running the computer? Or a proprietary OS, other than what we all are familiar with??

let us know what happens when you boot her up!! I will bet it's not running TOS of any kind. At least when the switch is on.

Um, little advice, power down the machine before you hit the switch, cause you never know what may/may not be fry-able. if it was me, I would boot into either "mode" of the switch.

Sweet find!! Los Alamos, even!! I wish something like that would turn up here in El Paso!

Nathan

That's awesome - thanks for the info! I did notice the beefed-up 68000 chip on the card, but again, being unfamiliar with the ST line, I wasn't sure if it was standard or not.

You mention your suspicion that it's not running TOS when the card is active - what would be the alternative? I've got other machines (like a Commodore 128 and DEC Rainbow) that could switch operating systems, but again, I don't know enough about the Atari line to know what other options there were. Was the normal TOS not friendly with accelerated processors?

Anyway, thanks again for the info - this should get interesting!

Huxley

I didn't mean it may be unfriendly or incompatible, I meant considering where it came from it might have its very own custom-made operating system courtesy of Uncle Sam! Then again they may have just used chips on that daughterboard and not used the ones on the motherboard. Who knows. When you get the chance to fire her up, you'll see what comes up on the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some weird port of Unix, again, considering the source.

This could be considered a part of Electronic Anthropology!!

Nathan

It is accelerator HBS 28, running 68000 at 28MHz. It has also fast cache for the CPU. It is very fine accelerator.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that info! I just did a (quick and dirty) Google search for the info you shared, but didn't find anything. Do you know of any additional information about this upgrade? Drawing on my experience with upgrading the CPU's of older Macs, they often need special software drivers to work properly - do you think that this would be the case here?

Thanks again!

Huxley

I am not sure at the moment. It is possible to control it by switches connected to the pads on the ledge (I think the switch in the picture is already connected there)

Just try to run some benchmark or sysinfo and you can see the speed of the CPU. I have to ask my friend who own this accelerator if there is some software necessary to run.

I know it is possible to upgrade HBS with FPU 68881 - you need small board with socket which fit to the two connectors on the top of the HBS.

BTW I see you have 36MHz version, you are lucky :)

Edited by krupkaj

I think it comes from Germany, so it is rare in US

BTW here are photos of my friend's MEGA ST - the sandwich with 3 boards: MAGNUM card with 16 MB of TT RAM, accelerator HBS 28 with FPU board on the top

post-2769-1215356266_thumb.jpg post-2769-1215356643_thumb.jpg

and this is not all, now there is also NOVA graphics card in MEGA bus slot, but unfortunately I haven't pic of that. It is great machine to run MiNT on :)

Edited by krupkaj

• 7 months later...

Why is it using a 16mhz rated 68000 to run at 28mhz? In fact was there actually a standard 68000 @ 28mhz rating from Motorola in that chip package? Most 68000 Accelerators were actually 16mhz anyway makes it a lot simpler to just double up the CPU or multiples of the original 8mhz cpu bus.

I always wanted one when I got my STM just so Gauntlet 1 would scroll horizontally a bit better without bogging down and STeeM proved 2 decades later that it would have been disastrous for my school studies had I done that as it is a fine fine game @ 16mhz ;)