IGNORED

Final corrected Prosystem NTSC color palette file

Underball

Working off of what Nabuko78 started, I finally corrected the NTSC Pallette in Prosystem.

I suppose these hex values can be ported to MESS as well.

I will be updating the PSP7800 source files and compiling a new PSP7800 with these as the default later tonight.

Inky is finally Light Blue again!

THIS IS THE FINAL VERSION.

NTSC_Final.zip

Prosystem_Palettes_source.zip

Edited by Underball

The Above are pretty darn accurate, but I'll be doing another round of these tonight - trying to get the actual hex values from the 7800 color demo.

I'll post results later tonight.

Let me add that Underball is doing a fantastic job with this. The best palette yet for 7800 emulators.

Mitch, if you're out there and able to have this incorporated into MESS that would be great!

For everyone not sure how to use the file, it is a palette color file which can be loaded into the ProSystem Emulator available here:

https://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton/

Hopefully, Greg will make this the "Default" palette for ProSystem once he is able to update it again.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

As I said, tonight I'm going to hook up my recently A/V modded 7800 to teh composite video capture port on my PC's webcam - and try to get a good screeshot. that way - if it's accurate, I can open the screenshot in Photoshop and use the eyedropper tool to get the actual HEX values for each color bar.

The way the Palette files work - in any HEX editor - set the HEX display to 20 lines vertical, by 48 lines horizontal. Essentially this lines up the hex values with how they are displayed in the 7800 color Demo.

Each color is made up of 3 HEX strings.

So for Black the HEX value is 00 00 00, or the first 3 HEX editor boxes. And so on down the list.

Photoshop can give you the exact HEX value of a color in an image file with the eyedropper tool.

So just open the accurate screen shot, check the HEX value for each of the 256 colors from the colored boxed in teh 7800 Color demo, and then type them into the palette file in the HEX editor.

The pain in the ass part is putting them into the actual palette.cpp file int eh Prosystem source files so I can update PSP7800. I have to open the Palette.CPP file in Wordpad, and the new Palette.pal file in a HEX editor side by side and transcribe them manually, as the Prosystem source pallete file has the "0x" before each HEx value, and a comma after each, plus the layout is different.

Done!

Updated the attachment at the top. These are direct NTSC values from a video-modded composite out 7800.

You may notice that all around the colors are punchier and more colorful than using a real 7800 with RF out. RF tens to mute a lot of the tonal qualities.

ALSO - attached here is the updated ProSystem source files for the Updated NTSC palette, if someone wants to incorporate them into an official release or port them to MESS, etc.

Edited by Underball

Done!

Updated the attachment at the top. These are direct NTSC values from a video-modded composite out 7800.

You may notice that all around the colors are punchier and more colorful than using a real 7800 with RF out. RF tens to mute a lot of the tonal qualities.

ALSO - attached here is the updated ProSystem source files for the Updated NTSC palette, if someone wants to incorporate them into an official release or port them to MESS, etc.

WOW...Thank you Underball!!!

Colors look great. Hopefully, this would be the default palette going forward for 7800 emulators.

-Trebor

Just RE-UPdated.

It was a little off on a few. Now it's FINALLY* right....I think.

If you don't mine me asking...What was changed?

-Trebor

One of the Red/pink values was off. If was showing as yellow, and the colors in One on One were wrong. I made a typo when I was adjusting it in the Hex editor.

Edited by Underball

Just RE-UPdated.

It was a little off on a few. Now it's FINALLY* right....I think.

If you don't mine me asking...What was changed?

-Trebor

One of the Red/pink values was off. If was showing as yellow, and the colors in One on One were wrong. I made a typo when I was adjusting it in the Hex editor.

Cool...thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I will no longer be able to update this emu/color palette here, as the moderators have decided to take my posting priviledges away.

I love this site, and it's a great resource for Atari info and a great homebrew/coding scene, but the moderation of the board leaves a ton to be desired.

Hypocrites.

Edited by Underball

Thanks for your efforts with this.

Were the last couple updates done by eye, or are they just typos from the video capture you did earlier?

a combination of both. The problem with the vid cap is that it's not a solid field. It's an interlaced image, so photoshop interpolates the in between space. That accounts for the slight, but incorrect variation.

Cool. Thanks for the information Underball.

-Trebor