IGNORED

New Project...Mini ColecoVision...Finished!

*** Update - Pics of finished console in post #36 ***

I thought I'd share a pic of my newest project. Technically I've had the idea for, and had started acquiring parts for, this "little" beauty about a year and a half ago. So I figured now was as good of a time as any to get 'er finished. Here's the first look:

sneakpreview01qy4.jpg

But what is it you ask!?! You'll have to stay tuned to see! More updates coming soon. :cool:

Edited by doubledown

Hmmm, so not a mini or a jr. Maybe it's an add-on like the ill-fated Super Module or the item Opcode was working on?

Still looks like a "junior" unit to me: A casing to support a main board transplant, with A/V + S-Video support.

My only question at this point is whether doubledown bothered to move the joystick ports to the front of the unit, or did he just cut holes on the side of his casing to plug the joysticks in the usual spots.

I hope the airflow vents on the casing are big enough. The CV generates a lot of heat over prolonged play sessions... :)

Well as some of you have already guessed, this project is for a mini ColecoVision. What else would it be, right? I've been working on the PCB and electronic components today. I've decided to use pin and socket connectors for everything not directly mounted to the PCB for ease of installation and future repairs. Unfortunately it just takes longer since each wire, now needs two wires stripped at both ends, one for soldering, and one for the connector. Today I got the original On/Off and reset switches pulled and re-wired for the new ones. I'm using the same upgrade pushbuttons I've been using for a while now. I also removed the controller ports and got most of the wiring for them done, but realized I didn't have enough connectors so I had to order a few more. The "Intro Skip" BIOS has been installed and most ot the ICs have been heat-sinked. I'll get the last few on once I get the video and audio leads wired in so that they're not in my way when I'm soldering. I'm also waiting on the new metallic silver paper I ordered for the front overlay so no pics of that yet, but here's one of the PCB almost prepared for the transplant. Pixelboy, I'm almost a little insulted that you'd even question if I would "bother" to move the joystick ports to the front. When have I ever half-assed a console mod? ;)

sneakpreview02uq0.jpg

It's not "supposed" to be a mini colecovision, it "is" a mini colecovision. ;)

Let's crunch some numbers for comparison:

The 2nd NES was 46.8% smaller than the original NES.

The 2nd Genesis was 23.2% smaller than the original Genesis.

My Mini Colecovision is 35.6% smaller than the original.

Now take into account the orerall footprint dimensions of each system, and my 35% difference actually accounts for the largest physical dimensional difference.

Edited by doubledown

I got a delivery confirmation e-mail from my electronics supplier yesterday. Those items I've ordered should arrive on Thursday. Once I get that stuff I'll be able to finish up the wiring. I got the PCB standoffs cut and installed yesterday as well as the cartrdrige slot overlay design done. That will get printed on the metallic silver paper like the front overlay, but again not untill I get the paper. The video circuit board is done and ready for install and I'll get that in tonight after work. So for now untill I receive the orders I'm waiting on, about all I can do is get the cartridge slot door removed the from original case and installed into the new one and finish installing the the last few heat sinks.

I gotta say this is gonna be one expensive ColecoVision. I was adding up the cost of everything today and I was definately surprised. As I already had most of the parts I needed I didn't really see the cost impact as I had spent the money some time back, but damn, definately more than I would have imagined. Now I do realize that a lot of the components used could be swapped out with cheaper counter-parts, but lets face it, thats not how I roll! :cool:

I got a delivery confirmation e-mail from my electronics supplier yesterday. Those items I've ordered should arrive on Thursday. Once I get that stuff I'll be able to finish up the wiring. I got the PCB standoffs cut and installed yesterday as well as the cartrdrige slot overlay design done. That will get printed on the metallic silver paper like the front overlay, but again not untill I get the paper. The video circuit board is done and ready for install and I'll get that in tonight after work. So for now untill I receive the orders I'm waiting on, about all I can do is get the cartridge slot door removed the from original case and installed into the new one and finish installing the the last few heat sinks.

I gotta say this is gonna be one expensive ColecoVision. I was adding up the cost of everything today and I was definately surprised. As I already had most of the parts I needed I didn't really see the cost impact as I had spent the money some time back, but damn, definately more than I would have imagined. Now I do realize that a lot of the components used could be swapped out with cheaper counter-parts, but lets face it, thats not how I roll! :cool:

WOW :o

Looking very cool... would like to get one :cool:

Nice project :D

I got a delivery confirmation e-mail from my electronics supplier yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, who is your supplier? I've got some repair projects ongoing and my preferred local supplier closed. The other local shops are way too expensive and take too long to order from. I haven't tried online suppliers yet because I like to look at the parts before I buy... but any suggestions would be very welcome...

will the mini-colecovision have access to the expansion port? would the 2600 adapter work with the MIni?

also will you be making any for people to buy???

I'm not including access to the expansion port for several reasons:

1) All consoles get cheaper, have less features, and get smaller with each revision change. I'm just following the pattern presented before me, with the exception of the cheaper part. :)

2) Both expansion modules (the Atari 2600 and Adam expansions) would be wider than the console itself and would look stupid coupled up to a Mini ColecoVision. Again following the pattern presented before me (i.e. Sega Genesis Model 3 with the lack of Sega CD support.)

3) We don't live in the early 80s where the idea of having 2 consoles that cost $200 each is a pipe dream. Anybody who would be in the market for a modded console like this would most assuredly already have a stand alone 2600, 7800 and/or Adam.

4) The expansion port's lack of a switch, forcing one to insert to use, or remove to not use, the expansion modules is a rediculous pain in the ass.

5) No one has offered to pay me to make a Mini ColecoVision with access to the expansion port.

6) I am making this Mini ColecoVision and I never use the expansion modules. I have my own modded 7800 and a stand alone Adam.

As for your other question I'll sell any of my work if some one wants to pony up enough cash.

@akator:

I purchase parts/tools/chemicals from the following:

Mouser

Digi-Key

MCM Electronics

Parts Express

Newark

Futurlec

Radio Shack (in a desperate need of one or two little things now)

and a few other select online retailers

I'm not including access to the expansion port for several reasons:

1) All consoles get cheaper, have less features, and get smaller with each revision change. I'm just following the pattern presented before me, with the exception of the cheaper part. :)

2) Both expansion modules (the Atari 2600 and Adam expansions) would be wider than the console itself and would look stupid coupled up to a Mini ColecoVision. Again following the pattern presented before me (i.e. Sega Genesis Model 3 with the lack of Sega CD support.)

3) We don't live in the early 80s where the idea of having 2 consoles that cost $200 each is a pipe dream. Anybody who would be in the market for a modded console like this would most assuredly already have a stand alone 2600, 7800 and/or Adam.

4) The expansion port's lack of a switch, forcing one to insert to use, or remove to not use, the expansion modules is a rediculous pain in the ass.

5) No one has offered to pay me to make a Mini ColecoVision with access to the expansion port.

6) I am making this Mini ColecoVision and I never use the expansion modules. I have my own modded 7800 and a stand alone Adam.

As for your other question I'll sell any of my work if some one wants to pony up enough cash.

I don't have a problem with ditching the expansion port, but will you include a pause button, at least? :)

I don't have a problem with ditching the expansion port, but will you include a pause button, at least? :)

I thought about it, but I didn't have another pushbutton, and initially I thought I already had every thing I needed so I wasn't going to just order one pushbutton. If I knew I was going to place a parts order I would have planned for and ordered one, but hind-sight and all.

I did get the PCB all finished up tonight, shy of a few pins to crimp and connectors to install, but I unfortunately don't have them yet. Here's a pic of the board all wired, heat-sinked, and with the video circuitry installed.

sneakpreview03hz0.jpg

Look at the jumbo mother heat sink on the VDP! I also got the spring-loaded cartridge door installed in the new case. It worked out a helluva lot easier than I thought it was going to. But now I can't do anything else untill I get the rest of my parts and the metallic silver paper for the overlays. It would be so nice if I could get any of the parts/supplies I needed locally.

There's been quite a few "I want one" posts in regards to my soon to be finished Mini ColecoVision. As of right now I don't have a final selling price in mind (well ok I've got some idea), and I realize there's no pictures of the final product as yet, but out of curosity, what would any of you who wish to posess such a thing of beauty, be willing to pay for such a masterpiece? Before you answer keep the following in mind:

1) I have never (and sure as hell don't plan to start now ;) ) sold a modded ColecoVision (bare minimum mods would include composite video, dual-mono analog audio, and "Intro Skip BIOS) for less than $150.00. (included were a power supply, 2 controllers, and 5 games.)

2) I have sold 2 modded ColecoVisions for over $400.00.

3) I spend a lot of time searching for and choosing components that are aesthetically complimentary as well as industrially functional.

4) Components such as those described in #3, aren't cheap!

5) Real responses requested. No $5.00 answers. ;)