IGNORED

Rate my find,please...

Nightwing

I had checked out a craiglist ad a few weeks back for Atari & Intellivision systems.I responded with my interest,but the lady couldn't find the Intellivision,so she'd check back with me after she had found the system.

Well,two weeks later & I see the same ad on CL.I call up & the lady said she was getting ready to call me to see if I was interested in the Atari still (she still can't find the INTV...) Anyways - I ask her to check the label underneath & she does so. Yep - "Made in Sunnyvale,CA". She said that someone else offered her $40 for the system & two games (Combat & Football) but that since she had talked to me first,it was mine if I wanted it.

I made plans to go see the Atari,and,needless to say - I forked over the money without complaint. She did say that the system was only used a couple of times,but since it was so old that if it didn't work I could get a refund.

Here's the system - (I'll comment more in a minute)

atarivcs.JPG

vcsinsidebox.JPG

vcspaperwork.JPG

heavysixerproof.JPG

I have never seen a more mint condition VCS system :) All the paperwork is there,the Combat box is in excellent shape - paddles haven't been used & the AC adapter looks brand new. The only issues I can see is that the RF switch label has come unglued off of the switchbox,& the paddle labels are coming off of the paddles. The outside box also has some water damage on one side end,but it was many years ago - long since dried out.

I haven't tested it out yet - but I have every reason to think it will be fine.Assuming that's the case - do you think I got a good deal? Looking forward to reading your opinions...

PS: The serial # is 16273J

Edited by Nightwing

:cool: :cool:

Very cool find. You got an amazing deal. Keep it in that condition.

You can probably sell that for at least quintuple the worth that you paid for it. But of course, who would sell such a beautiful piece of machinery?

*drools*

The lady seems like a GOOD FAIR SELLER!Praise should go to her also,good sellers are rare indeed!Thats an AMAZING find man!,good price too!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rik

The lady seems like a GOOD FAIR SELLER!Praise should go to her also,good sellers are rare indeed!Thats an AMAZING find man!,good price too!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. River could tell you all about that one with his complete boxed Condor Attack he got and 4 other games for $20. I wish more sellers would be true to their word. Especially when they get wind that what they have is way more expensive than what they were selling it for. :D

Congrats! That is a beauty indeed. :cool:

A couple questions to satisfy my curiosity...

Is the box dated 1978 on the front? (lower right corner)

Can I see a pic of the power supply and joysticks?

I'm curious if it has the Sunnyvale gray power supply, or the Taiwan gray version...and I'm curious if it has the CX-10 joysticks (most likely) and if they have Atari hex disks on the top or not.

I'm curious if it has the Sunnyvale gray power supply, or the Taiwan gray version...and I'm curious if it has the CX-10 joysticks (most likely) and if they have Atari hex disks on the top or not.

I do believe you are right about it being a 1978 box. :ponder:

I promised the wife that I'd play Rock Band,so no pics tonite,but I'll post them tomorrow if you still want.

But :)

To answer what I can:

The box IS dated 1978.

It is a gray power supply.

Not sure about the joysticks,but they do have a distinctive spring-click,so I do think they are 1st year.

I promised the wife that I'd play Rock Band,so no pics tonite,but I'll post them tomorrow if you still want.

To answer what I can:

The box IS dated 1978.

Not sure about the joysticks,but they do have a distinctive spring-click,so I do think they are 1st year.

Do the joysticks have the atari logo on the top of the stick?

Great find by the way!

Hmm...I thought the heavy sixer box had the chess piece on the front (top row of icons more to the right-hand side). Did some later heavies come in this style box?

Great find and price nonetheless!! Congrats. :D

I had a PAL heavy sixer in that style of box

Hmm...I thought the heavy sixer box had the chess piece on the front (top row of icons more to the right-hand side). Did some later heavies come in this style box?

Great find and price nonetheless!! Congrats. :D

Yes, heavies came in the 1978 box as well. I've owned 2 boxed heavies with that box (still have one in my collection in fact.) This box showed off some of the next batch of games, (beyond the original 9,) but the heavy was still being produced at that time. I also have the 1977 "chess piece" boxed heavy :cool:

But that's why I figured that his contained the spring-loaded sticks and gray power supply, because I've seen these boxed '78 heavies many times before. I just don't know if his power supply is the Sunnyvale (or Los Gatos) version, or the smaller Taiwan version, since I've seen both included with the 1978 box (in both Atari and Sears offerings)

A sign that a 1978 style box contains a light sixer is the presence of a serial # sticker on the front. ;)

To answer what I can:

The box IS dated 1978.

Do the joysticks have the atari logo on the top of the stick?

Great find by the way!

Most unlikely. My boxed heavy sixer looked like it had been played all of a few hours when I first got it and it didn't have the hex logos. Thanks to the 'WIZ that got corrected soon after :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Yeah, that's the non-Sunnyvale gray power supply I was talking about. The joystick is a bit interesting in that it has the retainer ring around the boot, (which is the non-hex disk boot found on the CX-40s,) yet has a CX-10 body. Might be the first time I've seen that combo of parts.

Great Atari! Cherish it!

:cool: