IGNORED

If you're bored, post here.

Hi, I know there is a Wii sub group, but I figure in there I will get the opinion of only Wii fans of which there are many. I would like the opinion of everyone even Wii haters. I have owned every Nintendo system. I collect and play games for the SNES, N64 and Gamecube still (as well as Atari and sega). The thing is, I love games like Mario Kart, Mario 64, paper mario, Metroid and so on... but I also like the multi platform games (Resident Evils, Soul Caliburs, Splinter Cells, Time Splitters to name just a few) that are on the Cube. With the Wii it seem's to me from my limited exposure to the platform that it is a perfect for casual gamers (i have a ds and love those games too) but if you really want to play next gen shooters and other multi platform games for the most part you will need a Ps3 or Xbox360. Am I right in thinking this? If so maybe for the first time the Nintendo platform would not be my first choice for the current/next generation.

I know eventually I will get one when they are cheap just to play the new Nintendo franchises, but would I be better off as someone who is getting close to having all cube titles he wants and yearning for something new and new games to wait and get a different platform?

I would appreciate your point of view, since the only other people that have offered opinions are the guys at Gamestop who (of course) suggest I buy 2 consoles (xbox 360/Wii).

Is the Wii really next generation?

Yes.

I prefer the Gamecube by a lot, but then, the Gamecube is the only Nintendo platform I have ever really liked (despite what the crazy Sony and MS fans insisted all last generation in their crazy fanboy attacks). You should personally buy a 360 from the sounds of it. The Wii hasn't wowed me, but I'm not sure any system this generation ever will. I'm considering just calling the modern gaming thing quits altogether. The 360 has the best library of the three though, bar none. Before throwing in the towel, I may pick one of those up Christmas and see if it saves my love of modern gaming (playing other people's 360s and owning a Wii hasn't done it though).

Edited by Atarifever

In terms of the Wii Mote and such i consider it next gen but in terms of power and capability the Sony and Microsoft offerings are superior in some ways. One nice feature is the built in wireless capability on my Wii if you want that for the other two you have to buy pricey add ons.

Next Generation is a silly term, all three major consoles have been out a couple of years now. The PS3, 360, and Wii are all the current generation of game consoles. You'll obviously need a Wii for the Nintendo franchises, and would do well to pick up one of the others for better eye candy with the multi-platform games.

Next Generation is a silly term, all three major consoles have been out a couple of years now. The PS3, 360, and Wii are all the current generation of game consoles. You'll obviously need a Wii for the Nintendo franchises, and would do well to pick up one of the others for better eye candy with the multi-platform games.

That's the obvious answer, but the truth is I cannot afford to have two new consoles. I am trying to see if the general opinion is regarding whether the would be a suitable "next generation" console for me (since my newest is a cube not counting my computer) or if it would just be a slightly upgraded versions of Metroid and mario Kart and Mario Galaxy with sub par shooters etc... in that case it may be better to buy a xbox or 360 and get a Wii later on when they are a dime a dozen like Gamecubes are now.

I own all 3 systems. The Wii is great fun at parties. The Wii will replace Yatzee or Jenga. Everyone likes to play the Wii including aunt Selma. (Although to be honest she only plays the games that can be learned to play in 2 minutes) As far as graphics? To me, on the Wii, the majority of the games available look an awful lot like Gamecube games except you control them with a new controller. The controller CAN be fun and add to the game, but in many cases doesn't enhance the game much at all and in some cases actually ruins the game. The Wii was a console released the same generation as the PS3 and the 360 but in terms of the visuals in the games, online play (free on PS3, a few bucks on Live) and the ability to do more media related functions (Watch HD movies, play demos of retail and arcade games, listen to music etc....) does not even come close to touching either.

It's simple:

If the graphics, online play and the ability to downloadable content... movies, TV shows (in HI DEF) etc... appeals to you. Get a PS3 or an XBox 360.

If playing Gamecube games with a new controller and downloading retro videogames (NES, SNES etc...) appeals to you.

Get a Wii.

Edited by moycon

I guess it depends on how you define "next generation"?

The last generation was the GameCube and the Wii is its successor. And while the Wii hardware is very obviously an extension of the Cube, it's got features the Cube did not ... WiFi play, the remote control, more memory, more speed, and more storage. In theory, it generally has more juice than the last generation (PS2, GameCube, Dreamcast, XBox).

So on that basis, I consider it next generation.

That said, I can appreciate the points against calling it next generation. It isn't high definition (kind of a defining factor on the PS3 and XBox 360). It isn't the same leap forward from the GameCube that the Xbox 360 is to the XBox or PS3 is to the PS2.

And, to be blunt, my big gripe remains true: I don't expect the games to look like that of a PS3, but I damn well expect that they'll look better than the crap which wouldn't have made a PS2 or Dreamcast sweat in 2000.

! My best GameCube games look better than the Wii games I have, generally.

Hi, I know there is a Wii sub group, but I figure in there I will get the opinion of only Wii fans of which there are many. I would like the opinion of everyone even Wii haters. I have owned every Nintendo system. I collect and play games for the SNES, N64 and Gamecube still (as well as Atari and sega). The thing is, I love games like Mario Kart, Mario 64, paper mario, Metroid and so on... but I also like the multi platform games (Resident Evils, Soul Caliburs, Splinter Cells, Time Splitters to name just a few) that are on the Cube. With the Wii it seem's to me from my limited exposure to the platform that it is a perfect for casual gamers (i have a ds and love those games too) but if you really want to play next gen shooters and other multi platform games for the most part you will need a Ps3 or Xbox360. Am I right in thinking this? If so maybe for the first time the Nintendo platform would not be my first choice for the current/next generation.

I know eventually I will get one when they are cheap just to play the new Nintendo franchises, but would I be better off as someone who is getting close to having all cube titles he wants and yearning for something new and new games to wait and get a different platform?

I would appreciate your point of view, since the only other people that have offered opinions are the guys at Gamestop who (of course) suggest I buy 2 consoles (xbox 360/Wii).

Depends on what you want. Arcade or fun group games, easy to play and casual. The Wii is great and it's cheaper.

If you like longwinded RPG's maybe a 360 would be better, beware though the 360 is built very poorly many units fail and even the ones shipping now do.

Sony gives you Blu ray, I am considering one as a Bluray player,(not for games).

Well when it comes to system exclusives I think you will be ok. From what I've seen, outside of maybe Paper Mario the franchise games have ranged from decent-excellent.

One thing that not one mentioned here and I think is a big plus for all the current gen systems is the expandability they offer by having upgradable Dashes. This really makes a big difference in that the companies can change how the system works, etc. Things like channels etc do enhance the experience.

At this point I would say that the Wii and 360 have the advantage. The PS3's clunky system really for the most part functions as a means of accessing it's functions (video/photo viewing), listening to music etc.

As for 3rd parties... I'm really dissapointed in how Nintendo is handling this. From what I can gather they have not been doing a good job at all of helping the 3rd parties in regards to information on things like handling the mii's, specs for the new motion control systems, etc. It's almost like Nintendo is so used to doing without 3rd parties that they are shooting themselves in the foot. Considering how well the Wii is selling they really need to get off of their collective arses and start paying attention.

Regarding a lot of people pointing out what the Wii lacks that makes it "last gen" I always like to point out the next gen features the 360 lacks.

1) Wifi: In PS3 and Wii out of the box, has to be purchased for the 360 like we're living in the dark ages or something.

2) Wireless controllers: One of the original models of the 360 actually came with wired controllers, while they don't really even exist on the other systems. What is this Microsoft, 2000? :)

3) Motion control: The Wii and PS3 both came with this; the Xbox 360 did not. Now I know what "360" stands for. It's the Xbox's assumed year of release.

4) Free online: The PS3 and Wii offer free online play on most every game, the 360 offers free online play on no games. Being the only company to still be doing something is probably an indication your model is out of date.

In many respects, the 360 really hasn't made the next gen jump yet. I suppose that is to be expected, given its early release date compared to the next gen systems. :P

Edited by Atarifever

Of course we can also point out things about the PS3 that are so very last gen.

1) Rumble: Although it is remedied now, both of the other systems had rumble from day one. Two of the three companies have it and they didn't. No force feedback Sony? Perhaps you'd be more comfortable releasing in 1986.

2) Price: Both of the next gen systems had an original entry point of less than $300. The 360 entry point is about to move to $200, and the Wii is positioned to drop a few bucks too, making the next gen entry point <$250. Way to go Sony: you're priced at a point more applicable to the 3D0, NEo Geo, or a price adjusted 2600 from 1977. Welcome to the year 2008 Sony, have you met the recession?

3) Analog sticks. This one still takes the cake. Analog sticks placed where they would have been added to a SNES pad. You know, the SNES. From 1991. Evrry other company has put them somewhere else (where it makes more sense) and heck, the Wii has even put them in another freaking hand, and Sony is still using their design from 1995, that is adjusted from a design from 1991. I can see their new slogan. "Sony: The future is THEN!"

4) Pushing a new disc based physical storage format. Most people think this is "next gen." If it's next gen, why is it only on one of three next gen systems? And why is it the same sales method used by the PS2 nearly a decade ago? This is the year 2008. We download our movies. What's next? A PSP that plays phonographs?

I have attached a picture that sums it up perfectly. The PS3's main mascot this generation: an old fossil.

post-5952-1219841485_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

No. Unpopular as the opinion is, I don't feel it's next gen at all. The only way it is 'next gen' is in terms of release date, and since the new 'wall-e' tv-game doesn't count as next gen, that's not as valid as it could be.

I don't buy the idea that wii's 'revolutionary controller' alone makes it next gen, nor the fact that it's ever so slightly more powerful than any lastgen console. Generations are significant jumps, and wii hasn't progressed far enough past gamecube. (leaving software out of the mix)

Maybe my gametrak golf controller makes my xbox 'current gen'. let me know if it does, it'll remove a lot of pressure to upgrade. It's nice, but it's just another 'revolutionary gimmick'. Not that I'm saying Wii is bad (I'm actually trying very hard not to say that), but aside from aside from a controller that's sillier than everybody elses--come on, wii is a gamecube++.

That said, I'm sure I'll eventually own and enjoy a wii--5-10 years from now.

Edited by Reaperman

No it's not next gen at all. The only way it is 'next gen' is in terms of release date only, and since the new 'wall-e' tv-game doesn't count as next gen, that's not a very valid point.

I don't buy the idea that wii's 'revolutionary controller' alone makes it next gen, nor the fact that it's ever so slightly more powerful than any lastgen console. Generations are significant jumps, and wii hasn't progressed far enough past gamecube.

Maybe my gametrak golf controller makes my xbox 'current gen'. let me know if it does, it'll remove a lot of pressure to upgrade. It's nice, but it's just another 'revolutionary gimmick'. Not that I'm saying Wii is bad (I'm actually trying very hard not to say that), but aside from aside from a controller that's sillier than everybody elses--come on, wii is low tech.

The problem I have with that logic is that it puts too much emphasis on the "jump" between one generation and the next. If we can't quantify how significant that jump needs to be, then "generation" becomes entirely subjective-- even pointless to discuss. If we do define exactly how much of a difference there needs to be, I'm betting we'll be able to look back at history and find a lot of systems that are incorrectly filed with the wrong generation.

The problem I have with that logic is that it puts too much emphasis on the "jump" between one generation and the next. If we can't quantify how significant that jump needs to be, then "generation" becomes entirely subjective-- even pointless to discuss. If we do define exactly how much of a difference there needs to be, I'm betting we'll be able to look back at history and find a lot of systems that are incorrectly filed with the wrong generation.

the logic isn't perfect, and I do believe there are a lot of confusing systems in the 'generational categorizing' process. I feel the closest thing to wii, would be a jvc x-eye packed with an 'activator' pad.

No. Unpopular as the opinion is, I don't feel it's next gen at all. The only way it is 'next gen' is in terms of release date, and since the new 'wall-e' tv-game doesn't count as next gen, that's not as valid as it could be.

I don't buy the idea that wii's 'revolutionary controller' alone makes it next gen, nor the fact that it's ever so slightly more powerful than any lastgen console. Generations are significant jumps, and wii hasn't progressed far enough past gamecube. (leaving software out of the mix)

Maybe my gametrak golf controller makes my xbox 'current gen'. let me know if it does, it'll remove a lot of pressure to upgrade. It's nice, but it's just another 'revolutionary gimmick'. Not that I'm saying Wii is bad (I'm actually trying very hard not to say that), but aside from aside from a controller that's sillier than everybody elses--come on, wii is a gamecube++.

Yeah Yeah, we get it, you hate the Wii.

I'm saddened that I'm so easily dismissed in a thread which specifically asks for a range of opinions from people who both like and dislike the system.

I don't really hate the wii, it's just not worth my time yet. Once the price comes down and the game library gets up there, I'll buy one. I did the same thing with ps2, and I like it just fine these days. I rather like the wii controller, it's fun to browse menus with, however my gaming 'killer app' hasn't come out yet, or even close.

still the jvc x'eye shipped with an activator controller comparision works on quite a few levels. unique controller, backwards compatability, new features and games not available before on the last console. granted there were available addons for the last console which break the logic somewhat. x'eye was released a year after 3do, which is fairly squarely 'next gen' from it. It's a really blurry line for wii as far as which generation it's really in.

Edited by Reaperman

It's a really blurry line for wii as far as which generation it's really in.

Not to me. Can I play Wii games on a Gamecube? No? Then it's next gen. That's all there is to it. As for if it's a worthwhile upgrade, that's down to subjective opinion. For me personally, who loves the Gamecube and am tepid at best regarding the Wii, no it was not.

It's a really blurry line for wii as far as which generation it's really in.

Not to me. Can I play Wii games on a Gamecube? No? Then it's next gen. That's all there is to it. As for if it's a worthwhile upgrade, that's down to subjective opinion. For me personally, who loves the Gamecube and am tepid at best regarding the Wii, no it was not.

you're right in that. Wii is certainly being handled as 'the next generation of nintendo'

my feeling is that it's not quite the next generation of gaming, though. now, historically there haven't been two different systems by the same brand in the same generation, and the existance of a new one has often pushed the start of a next gen.

I doubt history will side with me on a 'lastgen wii'. There are enough situations where systems have been 'rounded up' a generation where I tend to round down. For example I tend to believe that jaguar and cd32 belong next to 32x and snes instead of next to saturn and psx.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm saddened that I'm so easily dismissed in a thread which specifically asks for a range of opinions from people who both like and dislike the system.

I don't really hate the wii, it's just not worth my time yet. Once the price comes down and the game library gets up there, I'll buy one. I did the same thing with ps2, and I like it just fine these days. I rather like the wii controller, it's fun to browse menus with, however my gaming 'killer app' hasn't come out yet, or even close.

still the jvc x'eye shipped with an activator controller comparision works on quite a few levels. unique controller, backwards compatability, new features and games not available before on the last console. granted there were available addons for the last console which break the logic somewhat. x'eye was released a year after 3do, which is fairly squarely 'next gen' from it. It's a really blurry line for wii as far as which generation it's really in.

Sorry to dismiss you but you just seem to repeat the same crap every time there is a Wii discussion. I was just letting you know that we get the point, you don't care for it, maybe some day you will but until then we have all heard what problems you have with it.

maybe there should be a handy way for me to tell what threads I'm welcome in.

You're welcome to your opinions and in any thread as far as I'm concerned. At least it wasn't mindless Wii bashing, it was a well thought out argument that I'm sure quite a few would agree with. Personally, I feel the Wii is next generation because the only thing they didn't really update from the last generation was graphics and that should not be the sole decider as to which generation a console belongs to.

The Wii features Wifi standard, (a small amount of) built in memory, the Wiimote, the idea of expandable control allowing guitars or classic controllers to plug right into the main control and become wireless, an SD slot, a family message board, web browser, virtual console, downloadable content, a speaker in the controller, the Mii system which can travel with your controller, and larger disk sizes than before.

The only thing Nintendo didn't really spend much time on was the graphics and sound. I really don't think that it's fair to say a system belongs in the past generation of consoles when the Wii has many more features than the past generation.

I'm the one who originally asked the question, and I appreciate your opinion.

Right now I dont have tons of disposable income, so I can't afford to buy two new game consoles. I would like something new and I've always been happiest with Nintendo systems (although I opted for a PS1 before I got a N64 because I felt at the time n64 games were too expensive, now I dont even own a PS1 but still have a considerable n64 collection...) I know I will eventually have a Wii just as I've owned every Nintendo system and I know I will enjoy the Zelda's Mario's etc... as well as some of the games built around it's unique controller - that is a given. My question (which I didnt word right originally) is will buying a Wii satisfy my thirst for something new or will it seem like Gamecube 1.5 with a new controller. Will I still feel like I am left behind when the new shooters come out?

Why couldn't Nintendo have upgraded the graphics to the same competitive standards they've done with all their consoles in addition to adding the wii mote??!!?? It would make my decision so much easier even if the WII cost 50 dollars more.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie