IGNORED

Aquarius takes a stand

Does the world care about righting the wrongs against Aquarius?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do about the plight of the Aquarius?

• Join the fight against Aquarius discrimination! I'll dye my hair blue in its honor!
    • Continue apathetically letting the Aquarius be the butt of endless jokes. (It's not hurting me and my favorite platform, after all. Be warned, your platform could be next!)
    • Continue my low brow attacks against the amazing and underappreciated blue-keyed wonder, and die a little inside, each time.
    • What's an Aquarius, again? Isn't that some Japanese sports drink?
    • Oh, here we go again with the victim culture. Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
    • Join an Aquarius doomsday cult. It is said that all non-Aquarius believers shall perish in a ball of fire if they don't cast off their anti-Aquarius beliefs, shed their flesh vehicles, and meld with an Aquarius during a sacred ritual performed in the holy mogwai compound in Hong Kong before April 30th 2012. It's BYOAAP. (Bring your own alcohol, applesauce and Phenobarbital.)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This post is in response to the following quote found in this thread.

...I then went on to learn Z-80 on the Astrocade, ZX81 and the Mattel Aquarius...I think I wrote one small test prog on the

Aquarius and realized that at even the 30 or so bucks I paid for it, it wasn't worth it.

I've tried to stay out of this fight, but I can remain silent no longer. Let it be known that I am ever vigilant against Aquarius defamation. The Aquarius deserves better than these nonchalantly flung disparaging remarks. They are hurtful and completely unnecessary. The Aquarius was abandoned at birth. Mattel denied paternity, and as a bastard orphan, it is unable to defend itself. That is why I will stand as the self-appointed guardian against the type of exploitative libel, which you seem so intent to inflict upon this innocent and underappreciated machine. Every time you spout this kind of filth against the Aquarius, its rubber chiclet keys get shaded just ever so slightly bluer than before. It weeps.

From this day forward, the Aquarius shall be no man's punching bag! It will NOT go quietly into the night! It shall stand proudly upon the hilltop as a beacon of hope to the oppressed. Let its upswept design inspire all men to code upon it. It came from Hong Kong, so that others might code.

I challenge all closed minded platformists to download the Aquarius emulator, and compare the graphics and sound to the same Intellivision titles. The answer is clear.

Press RETURN key to start.

Aquraius: Smart enough to be simple.

When it comes to protecting the Aquarius, it's: Game, the f@*# ON!

Well if you are going to champion the Aquarius then you need to show some of it's strengths. Are there any websites about it. I seem to recall seeing a couple years ago. The thing about the Aquarius is that for all it's weaknesses, the one thing that really hurts it is that dam keyboard. Look at the Vic-20. It's a pretty weak computer but it's got a decent keyboard that never held it back. From a users point of view, the means of communication to a classic computer was through the keyboard. When that means is compromised, the rest of the experience is ruined.

To me, the worst thing a computer manufacturer could do was to use a flat/chicklet keyboard.

Now with that said, has anybody ever tried to mod an Aquarius to use a better keyboard?

Allan

Well if you are going to champion the Aquarius then you need to show some of it's strengths. Are there any websites about it. I seem to recall seeing a couple years ago. The thing about the Aquarius is that for all it's weaknesses, the one thing that really hurts it is that dam keyboard. Look at the Vic-20. It's a pretty weak computer but it's got a decent keyboard that never held it back. From a users point of view, the means of communication to a classic computer was through the keyboard. When that means is compromised, the rest of the experience is ruined.

To me, the worst thing a computer manufacturer could do was to use a flat/chicklet keyboard.

Now with that said, has anybody ever tried to mod an Aquarius to use a better keyboard?

Allan

You're not the only one... The first Commodore PET had a chicklet keyboard, and Commodore quickly decided to come out with a regular keyboard version of the computer (within months). It was the only way anyone would take it seriously.

Same for the IBM PC Jr. which shipped with a stupid chicklet keyboard. Most buyers bought the alternative standard keyboard right along side of the computer if they were serious about actually using it for anything.

The keyboard is the first thing people see, and what they have to touch to accomplish anything. If it looks comfortable and polished, people like it. Just like the mouse sold the Lisa (and then the Mac). The Aquarius was just too toy-like.

I will concede that normally, chiclet keyboards are a disaster. However, the Aquarius keys are rubbery and deep blue, so let's give some credit where it's due.

However, I ask that you all concede that no one takes random pot shots at the other chiclet laden machines as a matter of course. Heck, even the Atari 400 membrane keyboard doesn't get so openly mocked and maligned as random conversation filler. We all know that manufacturers mistakenly thought a chiclet keyboard was a good idea for beginners, because it allowed the "innovative" overlays to be used. In theory, overlays were supposed to make things easier for novices. In practice, the Aquarius BASIC overlay did help compensate, somewhat, for the chiclet, because it allowed many BASIC keywords to be typed instantly with Ctrl key combinations. I do have a couple Aquarius II's in my collection, and they had a real keyboard. Again, if only Mattel Electionics wasn't practically filing for bankruptcy while rolling out the Aquarius line...

Other points:

-Don't worry about stacking Aquarius carts (though I agree they are probably the oddest carts created), there were only 16 commercially available carts, including the "productivity" software. Of course, if the Aquarius hadn't been stillborn, that could have become a greater problem as more titles were released. However, if the disk drives had made it out the door before Mattel dropped the line (as planned), it is conceivable that more future titles would have been on disk, vice cart.

-Yes, a keyboard hack has been achieved.

-Aquarius has a fair subset of Microsoft Basic. Some smear websites on the net claim that Aquarius cannot do FOR/NEXT loops, which is patently false.

-An Aquarius and an Adam would make a nice pair, indeed. Silicon knows no hatred.

-Websites:

My old Aquarius page

Aquarius Yahoo Users' Group

Great technical site

I've been meaning to upload some Aquarius videos to Youtube. Unfortunately, while the emulator is outstanding, it isn't able to show how some of the graphics actually appear on a television. As you all know, that is a very common problem due to the clarity of PC monitors versus NTSC televisions.

Until then, the emulator is the best place to see Aquarius in action for yourselves.

I am heartened to know there is at least one other Aquarius warrior out there, according to the poll. Blue hair shall be our battle streamer.

Everyone, please look at the poll results thus far. Do you see how much apathy, ambivalence, and cynicism exists in our community? People don't want to get involved, believing that someone else will take up the fight on behalf of the greater populace. So far, two people are not enough. Please, won't you consider joining the band of blue brothers in arms?

I will concede that normally, chiclet keyboards are a disaster. However, the Aquarius keys are rubbery and deep blue, so let's give some credit where it's due.

However, I ask that you all concede that no one takes random pot shots at the other chiclet laden machines as a matter of course. Heck, even the Atari 400 membrane keyboard doesn't get so openly mocked and maligned as random conversation filler.

Actually they do:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/139100/the_...f_all_time.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v11...rst_compute.php

I can keep finding sites that trash the chiclet machines as the consumer society in general hated them but whats important is that like any other vintage PC the Aquarius is a cool lil machine, it was interesting and makes a very nice addition to any vintage PC collection :cool: :)

I own a boxed Aquarius with mini-expander. I got it out of the box once and played 2 games before it went back in the box.

If they had introduced the Aquarius in the late 70's it would have been right at home. The mini-expander has to be one of the most awkward expansion devices I've ever seen.

The Aquarius II would have only lasted about 2 seconds longer if it had been introduced to begin with. Now if it had included the original Aquarius II graphics as planned that would have let it last a few months until the crash and financial problems hit Mattel.

The Aquarius is an interesting little curiosity. I have a couple of them, one of which is set up on a small desk in my kitchen. Admittedly I don't use it very often but it's fun to mess around with here and there. I still need to get the printer, modem and a couple of the carts to round out the collection.

When I moved, the Aquarius was one of the things I could not even give away.

It wound up on the curb and from there probably hit the dumpster. I still feel bad about it.

Someone did finally take the Odyssey II, but they weren't happy about it.

I will do nothing to defend the pride of these two systems.

• Like 1

Oh, man, do I HATE chicklet keyboards. I have big hands, and hitting the correct key is a royal pain in the ass.

And I disagree about taking potshots at other chicklet keyboard computers, as that little Sinclair gets SO much heat for not only it's keyboard, but it's tiny, tiny size.

I collect classic computers, though, so I'd love to have an Aquarius.

How do the Aquarius games compare to the Intellivision ones with the same name? I know at least Astrosmash and Utopia were made for both systems. Are the Aquarius versions enhanced in any way?

Yeah, I'd like to beable to compare games myself, but can't.

It's easy to find the emulators. Can't find any roms tho to save my life. :ponder:

How do the Aquarius games compare to the Intellivision ones with the same name? I know at least Astrosmash and Utopia were made for both systems. Are the Aquarius versions enhanced in any way?

Yeah, I'd like to beable to compare games myself, but can't.

It's easy to find the emulators. Can't find any roms tho to save my life. :ponder:

The emulator I linked to comes bundled with all available ROMS. Enjoy!

The following titles are on both Intellivision and Aquarius:

-Snafu (virtually identical, though Aquarius music is slightly better, IMHO due to the third sound channel being used for percussion in the songs. I don't know why the Intelly version doesn't use the 3rd channel. The sound chips are the same on both machines.)

-Utopia (graphics are more detailed on the Aquarius)

-Astrosmash (slight grapical edge to Intellivision, but it's up to personal taste)

-AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin (More detailed graphics on Aquarius, at expense of smooth scroll. Gameplay not the same between both versions.)

-NightStalker (Graphics, though not as sharp are better on Intellivision due to more variety, and sound is better on Intellivsion)

-BurgerTime (Sound is nearly identical, with graphics win easily going to Intellivision. Note that Peter Pepper does not show properly in the Aquarius emulator. He is the only example of Aquarius showing three colors in a single 8x8 block. It does not use multiplexing, and it's a bit of a mystery how he works the way he does. Did Mattel create a special effect specifically for Peter Pepper in the Aquarius hardware? For a sample of how Peter is supposed to look, check my profile.)

-Tron Deadly Discs (Intellivision wins due to absence of the Recognizer in the Aquarius version)

-Chess (it's a draw)

-Shark! Shark! ( only prototype exists for Aquarius, called Shark! I's ugly on the Aquarius, and was likely stopped for that reason)

My hope is that this thread has brought some attention to the plight of the Aquarius. I understand that major social change takes time. All I ask, is that people consider the hurt that their off-the-cuff comments can inflict.

Stay classy, AtariAge.

-Jason

Edited by Jay Silverheels

It's a classic computer in my book. If I run across one ever I won't leave it if it's priced decently. So I vote I'll dye my hair blue!

Nathan

Thank you for your support!

Thank you to everyone who responded positively.

The Aquarius is now able to hold its head a little higher.

;)

I stand by my statement! It was'nt worth the $30 I paid.....I know....I still own it.

No one else wants it. I'll sell it to you! $30, you pay shipping.

Your lack of compassion fills me with immense sorrow. I beg you to soften your heart and cast off the bonds of prejudice and intolerance. Come now, it won't hurt. Look at your Aquarius. Take it up into your arms and gaze upon it without malice. Allow the smile to naturally take form upon your jaded and world weary face. The heretofore unloved Aquarius will win your heart, sir. This I know to be true. You can now be born anew in its splendor. Use it. Code it. Take good care of your Aquarius, and in return, it will give you decades of blissful happiness.

If one thing is clear after these Aquarius intervention posts, it is that we all may have some serious soul searching to do. Let us endeavor to not let hate permeate within us.

Let the healing begin.

I bought a beautiful mint Aquarius setup all boxed many years back, I looked at it, but never set it up or used it. I was a very interesting system.

I think its great someone is really putting a lot of effort into bringing out details and info on what I'm going to term a "misfit" system, don't take it the wrong way, its just an unusual system that very few people took and interest in and just didn't catch on.

I collect a particular misfit computer system myself - the Mindset M1001 (www.mindsetcomputer.com) so I understand.

Curt

The following titles are on both Intellivision and Aquarius:

-Snafu (virtually identical, though Aquarius music is slightly better, IMHO due to the third sound channel being used for percussion in the songs. I don't know why the Intelly version doesn't use the 3rd channel. The sound chips are the same on both machines.)

-Utopia (graphics are more detailed on the Aquarius)

-Astrosmash (slight grapical edge to Intellivision, but it's up to personal taste)

-AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin (More detailed graphics on Aquarius, at expense of smooth scroll. Gameplay not the same between both versions.)

-NightStalker (Graphics, though not as sharp are better on Intellivision due to more variety, and sound is better on Intellivsion)

-BurgerTime (Sound is nearly identical, with graphics win easily going to Intellivision. Note that Peter Pepper does not show properly in the Aquarius emulator. He is the only example of Aquarius showing three colors in a single 8x8 block. It does not use multiplexing, and it's a bit of a mystery how he works the way he does. Did Mattel create a special effect specifically for Peter Pepper in the Aquarius hardware? For a sample of how Peter is supposed to look, check my profile.)

-Tron Deadly Discs (Intellivision wins due to absence of the Recognizer in the Aquarius version)

-Chess (it's a draw)

-Shark! Shark! ( only prototype exists for Aquarius, called Shark! I's ugly on the Aquarius, and was likely stopped for that reason)

Out of 9 games: 2 Aquarius better, 2 ties, and 5 Intellivision are better?

I challenge all closed minded platformists to download the Aquarius emulator, and compare the graphics and sound to the same Intellivision titles. The answer is clear.

You just did, thanx. The answer IS clear, Intellivision is better. :P :lolblue:

It's not a "bad" computer I guess. But it had it's issues. If wiki is to be believed, Mattel programmers refered to the Aquarius as "the system for the 70's". Sure it was cheaper then the other computers of the time compared to the likes of the Ti99 and Vic20, but it's gfx/sound/memory were limited in comparision. The software was largely ports of Intellivision games, and worse, not even as good most of the time. Which is a pretty sad statement regarding Mattel. Other companies at the time who offered both consoles & conmputers at the very least matched console quality (if not exceeded it) with their computers. It's 4 years after the Intellivision, 3 years into the 80's, not consistantly as good as their 4 year old console from the 70's and not as good as the other computers out at the time. It realisticly left you with a choice of: If you want a computer, get something else; If you want a game machine, get the Intellivision. It was a dead horse at the gate. If it came out sooner, it might have gained more popularity. But it seems like it was thrown together using the Intellivision platform as a template in an attempt to jump on the sudden popularity of the home computer bandwagon, but was just too little to late.

It's worth trying, atleast once, even in emulation just for historic and nostalgia sake, but honestly, I don't see it as ever being a serious contender in the market of the time.

I collect a particular misfit computer system myself - the Mindset M1001 (www.mindsetcomputer.com) so I understand.

Curt

The computer animations in the following video were done on a Mindset.

You piqued my curiosity so I googled up the Mindset, found that video, and read a bit. Misfit it may be but capability wise, it was a competitive machine in it's time and was an influence on the design of the ST line.

I have no hate for the Aquarius. Indeed, I never got closer to one than a few magazine ads back in the day. But from what I've read and the few screenshots I've been able to find, it seems .. truncated compared to contemporary machines. Be a hoot to watch a working one though.

I stand by my statement! It was'nt worth the $30 I paid.....

I have to agree on that. I could have a nice Aquarius setup for very little money, but I honestly can't find a single reason why I would bother. It's a sort of interesting tech curio but not much more. Any time I would spend towards it would be far better spent towards far better equipment before and after the Aquarius. Even back in the day I didn't care about it and really neither did anyone else. I suppose one of the best things about it is that it died so quickly in the marketplace, that not many people were left ripped off and holding the bag. :P

And you're talking to someone who has not one, but two Game.com units and a Bentley Compuvision. :D

Edited by remowilliams