IGNORED

Impossible Mission Proto

Mitch

I picked up a few more protos recently. Just EPROMs this time and most were the final versions. However there were two version of NTSC Impossible Mission, dated 7-8-88 and 8-11-89. Naturally I had to dump them and see what was different about them. After doing some comparing I found that the earlier 7-8-88 version matches the released game. After several days of knocking the rust off my Impossible Mission playing skills I was able to sucessfuly beat the 8-11-89 version. :)

The only downside to this version is that while the original bug was fixed a new one was introduced in the bonus rooms. Sometimes the bonus rooms work and sometimes they don't. Unfortunately this makes the game insanely difficult though beatable.

For those of you Impossible Mission experts I'm attaching the BIN, for everyone else stick with John's version. ;)

Mitch

IM8_11_89.Bin

ImpossibleMission8_11_89EPROMsB.jpg

IMwin.PNG

What do you mean that sometimes the bonus room works and sometimes it doesn't? Can you provide a few more details? I'm going to have to do a write up for my page now... :)

Tempest

I guess I wasn't clear. The bonus rooms are where you play a game of Simon/Touchme and everytime you get the sequence right it gives you a bonus robot snooze or lift init. In this proto, probably 80% of the time (or maybe higher) when you get the correct sequence it doesn't recognize it as correct. So you have to play each game a bunch of times just to get one or two bonus items. There doesn't seem to be method to the madness either, sometimes it will work the first time other times you might play it twenty times before it works.

Here are scans of the release versions of Impossible Mission in case you want them.

Mitch

ImpossibleMission7_8_88EPROMs.jpg

ImpossibleMissionPAL9_14_89EPROMs.jpg